• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tron.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can anyone help make me a wooden chopping board?
  • ska-49
    Free Member

A little bit random. There’s an art/photography competition at work and I’ve got a bit of a genius idea ( 🙄 ).

I need to get a nice wooden chopping board made from a light wood with 5 dark wood square inserts.

Sort of like this:

I’m trying to do this on a tight budget and would be happy to just borrow it. The winner of the competition gets the art published.

If anyone knows someone that could make this please let me know 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

So you need someone who can accurately machine all the 40mm square section pieces of wood (I’d use one metre lengths), can glue then together and has a press suitable to take the assembled stack while the glue dries. They’ll then need a big cirular saw to cut slices and a be fairly handy with a router (or have a milling machine) to cut the groove. They’ll also need customers for the other 19 boards they make out of the laminated section.

br
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not 40mm widths that are glued and the planed. Then ripped up and re glued?

Hard to explain, but that is how I made a chess board at school.

kayak23

It’s quite Labour intensive making end-grain blocks.

These are some cabinet doors I was making some while ago and I had to glue up in several stages with a special jig I made. Afterwards it was all put through a panel sander.

Lot of work but yeah, can be done. (Not by me just now sorry)

doof_doof
    Free Member

Had a large oak end grain board made by these guys. They should be able to do what you want, although it won’t be cheap.

http://www.bordercraft.co.uk/

Also try
    http://www.norfolkoak.com/gifts/end-grain-chopping-blocks/

Even more expensive though.

damascus
    Free Member

Can’t you cheat and just colour it if you are on a budget?

tron
    Free Member

Ikea do a cheap butchers block. Sand it down and recolour 10 blocks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone help make me a wooden chopping board?’ is closed to new replies.