Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can anybody recommend a skills course in Yorks dales or Lakes this March???
  • djflexure

HI
    Have the opportunity to go away with the wife on weekend of March 6-8 (as we can drop off our kids with grandparents in Bolton – a rare opportunity). We are both looking to improve our mountain bike skills. Perhaps somewhere nice like the Lakes or Dales. Don't want anything too basic, we can both ride XC and are quite fit. However, neither of us is any good at jumps, drop offs, bunny hops etc (confirmed every time I go to Cannock). Also don't want any maintenance, a few adverts seem to incorporate this, as capable already. A nice mix of instruction and riding would be good over the two days. Personal recommendations please?
    BW Simon

FFJA
    Free Member

Dales Mountain Biking have a Sttep and Rocky day on the 7 th and there's stacks of local riding in the area for the other days! They've got accomodation as well..Bingo!

djflexure

Have you been out with them before or do you know anybody who has?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gazman
    Free Member

you could try http://www.great-rock.co.uk at gisburn forest its a great place to ride to so you could train sat ride sun.

Jenga
    Free Member

Dales Mountain Bike Centre in Reeth is absolutely spot on. Good accomodation on site – showers and mini kitchen, secure bike storage, good breakfasts and excellent pubs nearby. Combined with lots of great local riding and what more do you want?

Did I mention the honesty box for midnight cake nibbles?

dickydutch

Cyclewise in Whinlatter were excellent when I went for a day courtesy of a birthday present from my SO. Full days riding, no maintenance, cracking views and brilliant coffee.

diggers
    Free Member

I took my missus on a beginners course when she first started with these

they also do intermediate/advanced days in the lakes.

FFJA
    Free Member

I bake the cakes 🙂

Mintman
    Free Member

I stayed and spent a weekend riding with Big Bear Active at Dalby. Mike was a great tutor, provides accom and cooks one hell of a fried breakfast. Also has minibus transport from accom to Dalby too. Can't recommend highly enough!

bol

+1 for Mike at Big Bear. Great training, great guiding and even do b&b with a secure bike store. He's a top bloke too.

stumpyjon

+1 for Ed and Great Rock. Did one of his courses before Christmas. Gisburn should have enough to keep you going, there is even some DH stuff. Lovely part of the world too, on the southern border of the dales and quite isolated up over the Trough of Bowland.

djflexure

Thanks for the advice. I've dropped Ed a line – although I see he has a fully booked course on the Sat. Otherwise I'll try Whinlatter or the Dales Centre.

boxelder

Whinlatter for certain if you need the jumps bit, with good on site cafe and quaintness/fantastic views. They suss out what suits you early on and treat you well. I took some mixed groups of sixth formers in the rain in September and they all came back beaming.
    If you'd like ideas for quiet B&B and nice places to eat, drop me a mail.

djflexure

Booked with Mike at Big Bear Active in the end – looks like excellent value. Will try out the other suggestions in time I'm sure. Thanks again for the help!!

ononeorange

Realise you've booked, but in future +1 for Dales MTB. Mrs did a course last year, we're both back up in April for the steep & rocky. They're really, really good.

Dalesbikecentre

Thanks ononeorange – look forward to seeing you in April 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can anybody recommend a skills course in Yorks dales or Lakes this March???’ is closed to new replies.