Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can an iPhone be used as a turn by turn GPS?
  • bikerevivesheffield

Got an old se sat here doing nothing, can it be used to follow a gpx?
    No SIM card but could load up at home on WiFi? Or just bin it??

johnnystorm

As long as its not so old that Komoot or RidewithGPS won’t install you can use those apps.

Both of those would create/receive/load routes over WiFi.

If my garmin edge is connected to my phone with garmin connect while navigating my phone will read out the turn by turn directions.

coconut
    Free Member

Yes, download routes from “ride with gps”, turn the phone to “airplane” mode and mount to the handlebars. The display will show the route on the base map (route marked in red) and you as a moving dot, it’s not fully turn-by-turn but pretty easy to follow. Should be good for around 8-10hrs before a charge. I use my I-phone 6s for this. You need IOS 13 for “ride with gps”, so any I-phone from the 6s onwards will update to IOS 13, older ones won’t work.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikerevivesheffield

Amazing
    Something to faff with for free

Thanks

bikerevivesheffield

Ios 15.7.1 apparently

stevious

I’m fairly sure Google maps can be used offline as well, as long as the bulk of the route planning is done on WiFi

thecaptain
    Free Member

You can explicitly download chunks of map on google maps to use off-line. However it’s probably not much use for MTBing, assuming that was the aim.

We use our phones with outdoorsgps a fair bit. OS map with route and a dot. It doesn’t call the turns, you just follow the dot. Better than komoot etc if you are used to OS maps!

asbrooks

I have done similar, the biggest down side using an old iPhone, is the battery life. iPhone batteries are so poor that I can only get a couple of hours use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.