Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • can a knackered BB make cranks feel like they have a wobble?
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Stuck at work and it could be a couple of days before I can swap the BB and see for myself. I know the non drive side was fitted with the spacer off set for a while 😳 , so not doing its job evenly around the cup, the non-drive side feels like it wobbles just after its passed 12 o’clock, only slight, and I can’t recreate unless peddling. GXP BB too, so blaming BB seems a place to start. Am I kidding myself?

Would prefer not to be buying new cranks just yet, as the bike has a question mark over its future. Your pearls of wisdom or scorning criticisms over slapdash BB fitting are awaited…

andymac
    Free Member

I certainly have had crank wobbles with worn external bottom brackets, not used a GPX though. In fact just had to send an isis bracket back because it caused a wobble when new!

midlifecrashes

Could it be the pedal?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tmb467
    Free Member

Check that the pedal isn’t starting to come lose first

That ‘wobble’ can be more pronounced when using a square taper BB but I’ve also felt it if the pedal loosens or the pedal thread starts to go.

Other explanations are also possible!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Pedals are firm, and pretty new. Will double check but pretty confident on that.

That’s what it feels a bit like, I knew I’d felt it before, it feels like a slightly loose square taper…

krixmeister

I would normally go with the pedals with this description (as with other comments above), especially if you can’t recreate unless you are pedaling. If you are using SPDs or similar, maybe a worn cleat? Also, unlikely but worth a check – make sure chainring bolts are nice and tight.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Thank guys, will check all this tonight, and give BB swap a go when I get the chance! fingers crossed.

craig5

What cranks are you using? Had the same issue 2 week ago. I thought it was my pedals, I knew the bearings were shot. After 100m it was getting worse & on closer inspection found out my crank had come lose very very slightly on the drive side axle. Race face cranks attach to the axle on the drive side and the movement has mashed ( only slightly) the splines inside the drive side of the crank. Now my crank is a write off, as no amount of tightening will stop the wobble and it will only get worse with every pedal stroke. I’m gutted

unklehomered
    Free Member

Its external GXP BB cups, but the spline issue you describe is my fear. Here’s hoping its something else or one of the things suggested above.

Pridds

With Gxp cranks you tighten them onto the non driveside bearing ( essentially sandwiching the bearing between the step in the axle and the non driveside crank) so if that bearing is on its way out it might cause a wobble

unklehomered
    Free Member

Well I had a bit more time than I expected, its the cranks, even my powers of self delusion and denial can’t hide that fact… I knew it in my heart.

iain1775
    Free Member

I had exactly the same as you describe on my CX bike
    It was the GXP BB

andrewh
    Free Member

1. Check all bolts are tight and pedals screwed in firmly.
    2. Grasp both cranks firmly and try to wiggle them. If they move togther in a uniform manner it’s the BB. If one moves it’s the crank. If neither moves check the pedals. Note loose BB feels very similar to knackered BB.
    From your description (one crank and only when peddaling) I suspect BB/crank interface.

unklehomered
    Free Member

See you’re just trying to get my hopes up. I may one last fiddle, but its not the BB, I’ve swapped it out for a spare. Even found myself checking the frame in case BB shall cracked, cos that would be better ❓ – I’ve more or less decided to replace the summer season with a BFe no anyway, so wouldn’t mind getting some cranks as part of that operation really.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘can a knackered BB make cranks feel like they have a wobble?’ is closed to new replies.