Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Can a coughing fit make your epiglottis flip it's shit?
  • D0NK

I’m getting over a pretty bad cough* that floored me last week. Had a bad coughing fit sunday night and couldn’t breath, chest and diaphragm was doing the heaving thing but nowt seemed to be coming out of my mouth and I had trouble inhaling. It felt like I might have had a bit of reflux from my stomach causing an obstruction but I’d had a hot curry for tea and no resultant burning so not that. After I managed to stop coughing and take a breath or two I burped quite a bit, is it possible to cough down your oesophagus?

Then again this morning another bad coughing fit then I couldn’t breath afterwards, throat felt obstructed above/around my larynx. Cleared pretty quick but both times it was a scary few seconds.

So can a bad coughing fit cause your epiglottis to wig out and block your windpipe or redirect it?

*went to the docs last week after a quick listen he said my chest was clear so a cough rather than chest infection.

Cougar

I’d guess so – I get it a lot when I have a bad cold, feels like all of my soft pallet swells up, it’s not pleasant.

D0NK

Yeah I get the soft pallet thing when I have a bad cold and I’m all “mucousy”, everything just feels obstructed for a while – this seems to be more on/off, freaks me out a bit.

chewkw
    Free Member

I am also having coughing fit at the moment.

Bastid Bro-in-law passed it to everyone in the household and to me when he visited last week.

3 days after they left I was coughing every 5 mins for the entire day and it’s almost 7 days now.

The cough is mainly dry cough with nothing coming out and I would cough until my throat hurts.

In the past when I had bad cough it was usually as a result of flu or cold but not this time …

Bastid bro-in-law should be hang, drawn and quartered for passing virus/bacteria whatever to me … 😡

Oh ya … after a coughing fit I feel normal-ish but my stomach muscles contract or tense up so much now they hurt.

Appetite is still fine unlike getting cold/flu where I would not have appetite to eat.

I think this might be a new virus/bacteria so for those of you who have low immune system please watch out. Stay away from people with coughing fit coz you will get it 3 days later.

As far as I know this is the worst coughing fit I have ever had in my life.

Ya, please shoot my bastid bro-in-law or please hurt him as much as you can … he comes from a family (his side) of the lowest of the low.

beefheart
    Free Member

I’d guess so.
    I was talking about this a couple of days ago.
    Apparently, a mate of a mate once vomitted actual shit, due to some extreme regurgitation reflex.

chewkw
    Free Member

beefheart – Member

I’d guess so.
    I was talking about this a couple of days ago.
    Apparently, a mate of a mate once vomitted actual shit, due to some extreme regurgitation reflex.

I am not surprised coz my coughing fit is so bad I get sore throat and my stomach muscles are so tense now I thought I have been doing sit up every 5 mins.

edit: I am taking the followings:

1. Bell’s Healthcare Dry Tickly Cough oral solution – £1 and it’s shite.

2. Pholcodine Linctus BP – £2.99 slightly less shite.

3. HALLS MAX strength (sore throat relief) – £1.99 better than the above two but leave a bad taste in mouth.

4. Galpharm Flu-Max All-in-one – £1.99 16 Tablets – think they are just paracetamol … not sure about good or bad.

5. Lemsip sore throat tripple action – Better than HALLS but still leave a bad taste in mouth and numb the throat.

6. Ultra Chloraseptic Anaesthetic Throat Spray – this is good to numb the throat. Not sure about the price now.

I use all the above at the moment … 😮

samunkim
    Free Member

OP

That sounds an awful lot like whooping cough.

Which is perfectly possible to re-catch in middle age..

Stevet1
    Free Member

Our family had a similar cough about a month ago, dunno what it was but it was the worst cough I’ve ever had. Went after about a week.
    Sorry, no epiglotis flipping out though, although daughter was sick a few times after coughing so much.

molgrips
    Free Member

Had a bad coughing fit sunday night and couldn’t breath, chest and diaphragm was doing the heaving thing but nowt seemed to be coming out of my mouth and I had trouble inhaling.

Laryngospasm maybe?

My wife’s had this two or three times, scary it is. Brought on by coughing once. I read a blog by some guy who has it all the time, he reckoned breathing through his nose (or trying to) helped.

lerk
    Free Member

I suspect I’ve caught whooping cough and it’s not nice…

About half of our workforce of 35 are down with extreme coughing fits lasting five weeks so far… Medical proffessionals round here seem to be hesitant to diagnose it as such though so there are no preventative measures being taken.

I spent last night properly vomiting after each cough, previously I’ve managed to control it to a mouthful of bile.

I have also been experiencing burping after coughing, so there must be some mechanism to get air down into the stomach during violent coughing fits.

D0NK

oh bloody hell, I hate reading medical stuff on t’interweb, my hypochondria always flares up.
    So whooping cough or laryngospasm, both possibly deadly, awesumz! Both sound a possibility, I’ll hold off on running to the docs citing whooping coz I’ve only had the breathing thing a couple of times, been doing a lot of coughing during the day but no breathing trouble.

BTW where are you Lerk?

enfht
    Free Member

a mate once vomitted actual shit

Something very similar happened on an episode of South Park so it must be true.

john_drummer
    Free Member

My stepfather has had a persistent dry cough for several weeks. So bad he’s under investigation for possible lung cancer. Hope it’s “just” whooping cough…

beefheart
    Free Member

I just googled it- fecal vommiting is a thing!
    From Wikipedia :

Fecal vomiting (aka stercoraceous vomiting)[20] is a kind of vomiting, or emesis, in which partially or fully digested matter is expelled from the intestines into the stomach, by a combination of liquid and gas pressure and spasmodic contractions of the gastric muscles, and then subsequently forcefully expelled from the stomach up into the esophagus and out through the mouth and sometimes nasal passages.

Don’t cough too hard folks! 😯

D0NK

I just googled it- fecal vommiting is a thing!

intelligent design.

enfht
    Free Member

Proof it exists:

Drac

fecal vommiting is a thing!

Yes it is and one the worst fowling smells you could possibly imagine.

lerk
    Free Member

I’m from Worksop area D0NK, we’ve also heard of recent cases heading northwards up into Yorkshire…

molgrips
    Free Member

I once got constipated and burped farts for a while.

retro83
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

6. Ultra Chloraseptic Anaesthetic Throat Spray – this is good to numb the throat. Not sure about the price now.

It’s £5 but worth every penny!

molgrips – Member

wat

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s known as sulphur burps.

enfht
    Free Member

Stop talking shyte

D0NK

Been to chemist, pharmacist said if it was whooping cough I’d know about it, seen a vid of a kid with it, nasty. Trying some pholcodine hope that helps.

Oh yeah and Mrs has said she used to look after a kid who had the fecal vomiting thing, bleurgh!

chewkw
    Free Member

D0NK – Member
    Trying some pholcodine hope that helps.

Ya, taking that at the moment …

Junkyard
    Free Member

see you tomorrow
    RULE 5
    😛

jam-bo

Any codeine based painkillers are a great cough suppressant.

D0NK

Well the prolonged coughing bouts at 2 and 4am that had me heaving and struggling to breath for about 5mins had me wondering about whooping cough again. But slept soundly after 4 and back to normal coughing this morning. hmm.

ekul
    Free Member

Had this the last couple of weeks. Went to the doctors on Monday and they diagnosed it as a virus. So the good news was I didn’t need antibiotics. The bad news was it could be another few weeks til it goes. Eurgh.

Drac

Donk have you asked your GP about gastric reflux?

tenfoot

Donk….same thing happened to me a couple of years back, to the point where my wife called for an ambulance. Fortunately I regained my breath while she was on the phone so we cancelled it.

Told my doctor I thought I was choking , he practically laughed at me and told me no one has ever choked coughing.

Anyway, after another episode I went back and they gave me codeine to try and reduce the sensitivity at the back of my throat and Beconase to squirt up my nose to deal with my catarrh.

Not had it since, but at the time it was a nightmare, and I got quite anxious with it.

augustuswindsock

laryngospasm is the bane of my life, ive got an almost permanent irritating cough and the odd serious spasm. apparently someone actually coughed up their larynx whilst climbing Everest, or so I read?!

jimdubleyou

I get that (swollen epiglottis, not shit mouth) after a heavy night and I’ve been snoring my head off.

Swelling goes down with a massive hit of ibuprofen (800mg)

slimjim78
    Free Member

Must be humancentipedeitis

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Can a coughing fit make your epiglottis flip it's shit?’ is closed to new replies.