Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Campsies route in latest mag
  • BigR

Hi, has anyone got a copy of the Campsies route. Might try it tomorrow as looking nice and dry. Thanks

mashr

Not seen the route but I wouldn’t count on any Campsies route being dry in anything but the height of summer

DickBarton

…and after a 7 year drought!

mashr

That too

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be too hard to work out, Sanny names all parts of the route IIRC.

But what they said. 😋

BigR

Thanks. Have managed to trace a route using OS and Google earth. Happy to risk it but will pack a snorkel.

Sanny
    Free Member

Not sure how damp it will be. It poured down this afternoon in Fintry and over the Crow Road. Hellish headwind too. I would suggest riding the first section out to Earls Seat and back would be mostly ok though. Return via the side of Dumgoyne would be fun – super steep fun. Actually, carrying up onto Dumgoyne is well worth the effort if you don’t mind some exposure and the risk of a big tumble. Hope you have low gears for the big climb! Ridden it many times on different bikes over the years. Take a breather at each flat section and see if you can get up without dabs. A real climbers challenge! This shorter version rewards all your climbing effort with a fun descent. Wide and open but definitely fun!

Rode over the Gargunnock Hills last month to Carleatheran then down to Gargunnock. It was astonishingly dry. I last rode it several years ago on a baking May day. January was drier!

Let us know how you get on. The final bit of the traverse to the Roman Fort is no longer a trail so expect a few minutes of trail breaking albeit with gravity on your side if you do the full traverse.

Cheers

Sanny

BigR

Thanks Sanny, will let you know.

Sanny
    Free Member

So how did you get on? Nice day for it!😀

BigR

Daughter decided to travel down from Glasgow last night rather than us heading up so went out for a spin in the hills behind Culter near Biggar, basically a circuit with Culter Fell in the middle. The hills were mainly dry and the trackless bits not to bad as the vegetation hasn’t grown up too much. Lovely day to be out in the middle of nowhere.

Still fancy the Campsies at some stage. Thanks a lot for the info, both daughter and son head into the Campsies but now have more ideas.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I was up at the Campsie weather station today (on foot) and the trail down was squidgy to say the least

Sanny
    Free Member

Always boggy over that side!

Oh and don’t try Cort Ma Law over to the Knockie Buckle without wellies!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Campsies route in latest mag’ is closed to new replies.