Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Campsites in Northern France. Cycle tour in the offing!
  • wingnuts

Calling the font of all knowledge. Struggling to get decent info on above for a ride I’m doing from Belgium (near Huy) to Flers in Normandy. Can’t find a map with sites marked. Any suggestions for sources as I won’t have wifi access?

Stoner
    Free Member

Can’t find a map with sites marked

no such thing really. There are SOOOOOO many campsites in France it’s impractical.

The Michelin guide to camping is about as close to definitive as you can get but it’s not got much detail on each site and You cant really judge if its what you want.

Whenever we’ve cycle toured in France we never plan for campsites, just allow upto 10-20km at the end of the day to find one in a small town or large village. You really have to be extraordinarily unlucky to run out of light before you find a decent site.

If you really want to plan in detail then the internet is as good a resources as any as you can flick through pictures and longer write-ups.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whenever we’ve cycle toured in France we never plan for campsites, just allow upto 15-25km at the end of the day to find one in a small town or large village.

I’d agree, though not as experienced as Stoner. AFAIK, nearly every small town in France has a municipal campsite that will provide hot showers, clean facilities and fleece you around a quarter what you’d pay in the UK for something worse.

They’ll usually be within shouting distance of the town too which allows for getting breakfast, supplies etc in the morning.

You really have to be extraordinarily unlucky to run out of light before you find a decent site.

+1

wingnuts

Thanks, I know what you’re saying as have been several times before in the south and Alps. However this route is across the non tourist section of the Nord and it seems much harder to find any. All the sites I’ve identified tend to be too close to the coast. Just want a few bankers as have to get to an event without wasting alot of energy. Looks like I might be contributing to the bivi thread.

amodicumofgnar

I agree with all the above, if you dont find somewhere its more likely to be poor preparation than bad luck. I did a ride out to Switzerland a couple of years back without any preplanned campsites – got one every evening. Most days I didnt start riding until 09:30 to 10:00 and started asking about camping around 16:00. Mates have just done s simillar ride – faffed through till midday, finished riding in the dark and slept in ditches and under bridges.

One thing to remember is you quite often find shops closed during the middle of the day.

wingnuts

That’s the plan. On the road early and sort site after a ridiculus sprint for a village sign at about 80km (pretending to be Cav with panniers). I never had an issue and not worried about Normandy. Just the first bit is new territory.

shindiggy
    Free Member

We have always used this website to check availability, location and generally compare camp sites through out France.

Camping France

Edukator
    Free Member

Well given that we had no water at all some days and cold showers for most of the week at the SF last year, I suggest roughing it so you’ll be used to it by the time you get to Flers. If you’re doing the VTT version look out for a kid on a white RCZ racing anyone daft enough to take him on or a blonde on an orange Renault NRS; I won’t be far away and promise to speak English if I hear the words “Singletrack forum”.

wingnuts

Am riding over with a couple of old mates I used to race with many moons ago. The oldest is 74! I’m a mere sprog at 55! We will be doing the road stuff. I’ll be on a red and white Condor and mainly Phil Corley or white kit. We will only be speaking English! Despite meeting and riding with a Frenchman we met 3 years ago. He was Jacques Cousteau’s camera man! Oh and a couple of scouser’s we also picked up! I’ll stand you a beer if you find us.

wingnuts

Shindiggy – that site is just the kind of thing. Been using it and really helpful. Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Campsites in Northern France. Cycle tour in the offing!’ is closed to new replies.