Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Campsites in Italian Lakes
  • thecrookofdevon

Looking for recommendations for campsites in the Italian Lakes in July. Where have you been to which you would recommend? Totally flexible in terms of which lakes ie Como, Maggiore etc. Small vw camper and tent. Ideally we are looking to do about a week at two different sites.

cezza168
    Free Member

Stayed at the south end of Lake Garda in 2014 at Camping Tiglio. Fantastic setting and views. Sadly the site was cramped and crowded.

Cezza

ElShalimo

Be prepared for all the sites being nearly full and very crowded. Most of Europe has school holidays in July & August

Half of Baden-Wurttemberg seems to spend the entire summer there too.

It’s also very busy in September when the schools are reopen

ElShalimo

Have a look at Lago Iseo. It’s smaller less developed, very pretty and centrally located.

andrewreay

For Maggiore, try this: Camping Lido Cannero
    Small and gets crowded but ace location and near an excellent public beach.

For Iseo, can thoroughly recommend this one: Camping Punta d’Orro Great waterside location with a decent bar on site.

For Garda, I can only give one I’d avoid near Torbole!
    It’s crowded and a little less than enthusiastic on the service side. Camping Maroadi But anywhere up there is a fabulous location so try your luck elsewhere nearby.

For Como have yet to find a place I want to stay, so also interested in any recommendations.

As others say, the lakes will be busy beyond the very start of July, but wouldn’t let that put you off. At most campsites there are lots of German ‘regulars’ who delight in spending hours looking disapprovingly at non-regular guests from outside the Fatherland. I never get used to the prolonged stares. And they persist!

But it’s a wonderful part of the world and even when it’s busy the food, scenery and generally warm local welcome make it worthwhile.

If you’re hanging around for a week at a time, I’d probably head to Garda and Maggiore first as they are a bit more lively. But Iseo is gorgeous and some biking available too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We stayed at Camping Arco lido – Amsa in Torbole. Was a good site with tree shade and a shingle beach a short walk. You could walk to town centre in ten mins.

thecrookofdevon

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was after. I will have a look at Iseo.

freeagent
    Free Member

We stayed here for 10 nights in 2019 – https://www.camping-bellaitalia.it/en/ and are going back for 2 weeks in August this year.
    Its on the bottom end of Lake Garda.
    Huge site – busy & chaotic but with loads to do, great location (right on the lake) really nice town, etc.
    There is also an excellent bike shop about 200m from the site entrance https://www.highroadbike.com/

superfli
    Free Member

We stayed not far from Bella Italia, but I don’t think they had camping. However, I can recommend a couple of short 1.5hr-2hr rides that you can do from Garda area of you are after any? I went out real early morning before family got up and really enjoyed the rides. Both winch and plummet rides, so one up and one down.
    https://www.strava.com/routes/2948964453574848902
    https://www.strava.com/routes/2948964512559979612

ElShalimo

@thecrookofdevon – book ahead or you’ll end up next to the septic tank  (like we did). Urrgh

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

We usually stay here Monvalle Family run place. Depending on how much rain they’ve had in the run up to summer, there’s either a nice beach or the water is lapping at the wall. The lake is shallow for about 100m so safe for younger kids to play in. By 5pm it’s at bath water temperature. Milan is about an hour away, lots of nice places to visit closer than that.

Kids are bugging me to go back this year.

thecrookofdevon

Thanks superfli for the riding recommendations.

richardkennerley

@superfli did you do those rides when you were staying near pescheria? If so, how did you get to the start point?

I’m staying at Bella Italia in a few weeks and thinking if it’s worth hiring an mtb for a day whilst at that end of the lake. We won’t have a car.

easygirl

Lake iseo is beautiful and quieter than the more popular areas, camping covelo is very good

superfli
    Free Member

@richardkennerley we drove to lake Garda, so I used the car to drive to start of each.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Having lived there for 12 years I can recommend Garda, but as people above say don’t go to Garda itself in summer, get on Google maps and find the small ones to the North of it. Ledro was a favourite for a couple of trips

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.