Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Campsite recommendations – Lake District
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Please

Family-friendly

jonk

Scott gate in Braithwaite

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The Fisherground Campsite at Boot in the Eskdale Valley.

Very family friendly, allow fires at designated points (truck wheel rims sunk into the ground) have a river with proper paddling area etc. Decent showers and toilets plus you can’t pre-book, you just turn up!

http://www.fishergroundcampsite.co.uk/index.html

Adventure playground as well. There is a train called lil’ ratty that runs the 2 miles up to Boot itself where there are 3 pubs and not much else! There is another campsite at Boot itself but its more expensive and not as much for the kids.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Sykeside brotherswater, great bar, great showers,washing machines, bunk house. good pitches for tents, vans and caravans, based at the bottom of the Kirkstone pass 😛

pinhead
    Free Member

to be honest i camp wherever now as long as i dont have to pay 8)

Simon

+1 for Fisherground, my kids really enjoyed our stay there.

mrjmt
    Free Member

The national trust sites in the lakes are nice, and you can pre-book online now. Bit more character (trees) than a farmer cashing in on a spare field and good facilities.

Bregante

Fisherground thirded

tjr666
    Free Member

http://www.hawkshead-croft.com/

Usually go at least once a year, nice village itself, a stones throw from Coniston and Windermere…not too far frmo Grizedale if bikes are involved, great for the kiddies as well!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

jonk – Member

Scott gate in Braithwaite

+1

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fisherground + 1 I go every year the perfect family campsite but not that near anything.
    Nice train ride for kids, nice walk on the other side of the river to the falls. Its a bridleway so rideable for a family day trip.

ElShalimo

Turner Hall Farm, Seathwaite in Dunnerdale

+1 Castlerigg

tinribz
    Free Member

http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk/

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2585

Smallish, can get right next to water, or not. Just about right length walk to Pooley Bridge to get on the Steamer. Nice atmosphere, lots of water sporty families barbequing of an evening.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Saw the thread and immediately thought eskdale. My preferred site is the camping and caracen club site though. Love going there can’t wait for our long weekend there in July. Great walking and 2 of my most favourite pubs ever.

colournoise

Another vote for Braithwaite (if you have the bikes, Whinlatter is just up the (steepish) road). Hawkshead is a nice site, but can be hellishly busy IMHO.

slainte 😀 rob

tomd
    Free Member

Stayed at the NT Site at Great Langdale last year. I was very impressed, has decent facilities and two nice pubs nearby. It feels very remote, and quiet even on a busy weekend. So if you want somewhere nice but not like a big holiday park it’s worth a look. Only possible downside is it’s low lying in the valley so could get a bit moist on a wet weekend.

Cougar

Stayed at the NT Site at Great Langdale last year.

This. Great location, good facilities, and the pubs – Dungeon Ghill and Old Dungeon Ghill IIRC – are both spot on.

+1 for Eskdale also.

csb

Have they banned parties of yoof from Great Langdale as it was getting silly a few years back, like a festival every weekend. Which is fine if you want music all night and chundering Scouse teens rampaging around but less so if you want any sleep.

user-removed
    Free Member

And another vote for the NT site in Langdale. Just keep going past the first farm campsite which is full of Stella-swilling meat-heads and chav-nests.

Failing that, the campsite at the foot of Whinlatter trail centre has the best toilets in camping history (heated floors no less) and a decent cafe on site for yer morning bacon butties.

tomd
    Free Member

I can’t say I though the site at Gt Langdale was rowdy, not many big groups at all and any that we’re seemed to be families. This was late June last year.

fubar
    Free Member

a few years back, like a festival every weekend.

That sounds like my last experience there. It only takes one or two large groups to ruin it.

tomd
    Free Member

Yeah it can happen anywhere I suppose. The warden seemed like a nice and very keen chap last year, maybe they’ve improved it. You could always give them a call and see what their policy is on group booking because location wise it was a top site, would be a shame if this puts people off.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think they have a specific area for families at NT Langdale, but noise travels. I’ve had mixed experiences there. Also had mixed experiences at Braithwaite, which also gets quite busy, it just takes one group to spoil yer sleep. In peak season we generally stay on campsites away from the honeypot areas.

voodoo_chile

Scouse teens, must have been me 😉 , seems to be on the increase gangs of people having no respect for laws of the site

pikey999
    Free Member

Castlerigg x2 great views spotless showers etc some great walking on the door step

voodoo_chile

Not cheap if you have kids,hound, extra car etc getting to 30 plus per night

cliffyc
    Free Member

Grizedale Camping Site,Bowkerstead Farm,Satterthwaite.It’s family friendly ,2 minute ride from Grizedale trails so you can leave your vehicle on site and not expensive.

nealy
    Free Member

Side Farm in Patterdale, the site itself is on Ullswater and they charge a £10 quiet deposit per person for groups. Go and find the hidden pebble beach at silver bay a short walk up the bridalway.

http://www.lakedistrictcamping.co.uk/campsites/northeast/side_farm.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g499546-d654559-Reviews-Side_Farm-Patterdale_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks everyone!

tomaso
    Free Member

I love Side Farm but the pitches are stoney and not flat but the view across Ullswater to Glenridding is just awesome to wake up to and look at while sizzling bacon and slugging back coffee. For the kids to be able to clamber down the bank and play on the lake shore is also ace.

Fisherground is a really great family campsite, but its good for anyone that wants to get away from it. The pub in Eskdale Green had about 10 real ales on and did great food when I was there last summer.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Campsite recommendations – Lake District’ is closed to new replies.