Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Campsite recommendations in Midlands eg Malvern Hills or long Mynd areas
  • rockbus

Hi
    Looking for somewhere to stay in my campervan. Based in midlands so looking for somewhere close but with hills.
    Basically want something cheap I can just use for couple nights only real requirements is within 2 hours from Leamington, a toilet, allows fire pits and flat space for the van

teenrat

Brow Farm Campsite browfarmcampsite.co.uk

Lovely site in ratlinghope with easy access to the Long Mynd and stiperstones. Plus a 15 min walk to the bridges pub!

jamj1974

Having ridden both extensively (I live in Birmingham.), I would say that the Long Mynd offers better riding – and that’s before you take other nearby options into account.

woody2000

Only camped down there once, we stayed here:
    Small Batch Campsite (smallbatch-camping.co.uk)

Easy access to Long Mynd, Carding Mill etc.  Nice little site and close to a couple of pubs

singlespeedstu

Brow farm if you want a camp fire.
    The Bridges is a great pub too.

asbrooks

Broadmeadow campsite near Church Stretton

Broadmeadow

The pub next door does fantastic food.

rockbus

Jamj thanks, would be interested in any other recommendations for places to visit locally

jamj1974

Hopton Woods, some good trails there – if you are near Craven Arms. I also like the Wrekin if you like climbing and descending.

Cannock Chase is a reasonable Forestry Commission trail centre and offers a lot of unofficial trails too. White Peak and Dark Peak offer some food routes. I live in Sutton Coldfield and although flat – Sutton Park is good for a quick spin – although doesn’t have any official MTB trails.

Going south, I quite like Clent – if you don’t mind winch and plummet. The Wyre Forest is pretty good if it is dry – otherwise it is very muddy. The Lickey Hills are the south of Birmingham alternative to Sutton Park.

There are plenty of routes around the canals – but I would go in a couple of group of friends and identify your route first. If you like drops and steps – the city centre is pretty good too.

Hope that helps a little…

martinhutch

+1 for Small Batch – nice site. Trails from the front door (albeit a nasty steep climb of a trail)!

jamj1974

You can build a good loop around the Mynd. The climb leading up from Marshbrook up to the plateau and joining the Jack Mytton way and across and down Long Batch with Jonathan’s Rock to your left. Turn left near the bottom of Long Batch and take the trail up the hill and back up to the plateau. Rejoin the Jack Mytton Way to the and either cross the road by the glider club and descend Minton Batch or turn off earlier and go down Cardingmill Valley. I prefer another ‘cheeky descent’ but it is very technical and perhaps a little too much to be recommended. from either descent you can easily make your may to Marshbrook or Small Batch.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Another vote for small batch.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.