Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Camping stove adaptors
  • properbikeco
    Free Member

Looking to get a few camping stove items and before I pull the trigger wanted the consensus on these…
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Camping-Connector-Bottle-Adaptor/dp/B00UMY6YSQ/

Any reasons NOT to get this and use with the big aerosol type gas cans, rather than the small dumpy round ones….significant cost savings.

I am aware I need a self standing stove with tripod legs (yet to be purchased) – advice please?

crogthomas
    Free Member

Define your problem.
    Many camping stoves connect directly to that type of valve (EN417) which is shared by the blow torch type cylinders which I assume you are referring to. Which means you don’t need an adaptor.

Cougar

Define your problem.

This. You’re asking about an adaptor to convert a gas canister you don’t have to a stove you don’t have.

If you want to use Camping Gaz canisters or those dogshit butane cylinders, buy a stove that uses them. They’re plentiful. I expect the point of these adaptors is to carry when you’re in foreign climes and the canisters your existing kit requires isn’t readily available.

thenorthwind

Yeah, I would just buy a stove that uses the canisters you want.

Bear in mind that the reason the dumpy canisters are much more expensive is they’re filled with propane-butane mix which burns much better at low temperature/pressure (high altitude). The pure butane canisters are fine most of the time depending on what you’re doing, but expect that if you leave them outside/in a car over a chilly night, they’re going to struggle to maintain pressure, particularly once they’re not full.

I have a tiny adapter for refilling dumpy canisters with cheaper pure butane for use with my ultralight stove in warmer conditions, saving the propane for winter.

properbikeco
    Free Member

Actually I have plenty of the campingaz CP250 style cans.
    All I want to know is what disadvantage there is to running a stove off them (using the adapter above) compared to running them off the dumpy style cans.
    Thanks northwind for reply – I’m unlikely to use it at alt/temp where this will be an issue.
    I am also aware of the refill adapters.

sl2000

I’ve just bought one of these https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083TMBQ3N/ which comes with the adpaptor so you can use either type of catridge. Only used it for one weekend of family camping where it worked fine.

properbikeco
    Free Member

thanks sl2000, that’s the kind of info I was after

Cougar

All I want to know is what disadvantage there is to running a stove off them (using the adapter above) compared to running them off the dumpy style cans.

Anecdotally based on my experience of one stove that used those things, efficiency. The burner was about as powerful as three Zippos and it absolutely drank gas. I had one of those briefcase-style hobs where the canister slots down the side, it took like ten minutes and half a can of gas to boil up a cup of tea. I threw it in the bin after I’d used up all the gas I’d bought, which was about two days.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Camping stove adaptors’ is closed to new replies.