• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by therag.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Campsites S.Wales?
  • saxabar
    Free Member

I’m travelling for a work event in Cardiff Wednesday and am looking for a site for Thursday/Friday as a base for some riding. Thinking Afan area, BPW or natural riding around Brecon/Talgarth. Mid-Wales also a possibility esp. if there are follow your nose routes. Any tips on sites? Willow Camping at Afan looks good but the long list of anti-midge solutions on their booking page is a little off-putting!

pickle
    Free Member

Can’t you camp at Afan? Where the cafe is?

pickle
    Free Member

Apologies, teach me to read all the post 😂

If you want faff free camping – there are some pods in Merthyr (can’t remember the name, I’ll try and find out) – the site is run by travellers, but they are sound as

Other than that we’ve camped near the Skirrid Inn (reputedly the oldest pub in wales, but there’s conflicting info), which is handy’ish for BPW and handier for BMCC

IHN

Pencelli campsite is lovely, and you can ride the Gap from your doorstep/tentflap

dknwhy

Talybont farm camping in Talybont on Usk. 2 decent pubs and a cafe within walking distance. Straight onto the gap trail.

BPW, Black mountains cycle centre within driving distance.

saxabar
    Free Member

Liking the idea of raving with travellers at Merthyr, but sites near Brecon and Talybont a good call. Good mention of BMCC for riding too, hadn’t thought of that.

Hehe – not that type of traveller

welshfarmer

I have camping here on the farm about 4 miles from BMCC and about a mile from Llanthony Priory with its’ 2 pubs doing food. I also have a small camping pod with hot shower and toilet that sleeps 3 in a double and a single. I am just in the process of getting it onto Air B&B but you would be welcome to christen it. There is vast amounts of MTB riding from the door, especially if you know where you can ride that isn’t on any map. BPW is 40 mins, FOD is 45 mins, Cwmcarn is 40 mins, Black Mountains CC is less than 10 mins, etc…..

Drop me a PM if interested.

IHN

but you would be welcome to christen it.

Eeeuuuuuuwwww….

saxabar
    Free Member

Bugger, sorry @welshfarmer, just booked – sounds great though. Thanks all, Pencelli it is (cheap too for solo traveller).

welshfarmer

Out of interest, what is considered cheap these days (I am still trying to decide where to set my pricing 🙂 )

saxabar
    Free Member

£34 for 2 nights as a solo traveller in what is still [just] low season, but that seems cheap to me. Despite being in a van, I’m not averse to paying a few quid more for hassle free and cleanliness! Interested to know what others think, but a good booking system really goes a long way too. A little spent on this would pay dividends, esp. for repeat custom.

timber

They’ve got a pretty tidy site over at Pencelli, ticks a lot of boxes for stuff you’d like on a campsite. My parents would stay there whilst we were mid-renovation.

@Welshfarmer
    I think the point at which you think you could get a cheap Travelodge type room for the same price you start to question why bother camping.

ElShalimo

@welshfarmer – camping pods (wooden tents) are usually from~£45-90 per night  depending on location and how swanky they are.

robh

+1 for Pencelli Castle, great site, nice local pub.

therag
    Free Member

There is a camp site at Dare valley country park, Aberdare. It’s about 15/20 mins drive to bpw and has a pump track and blue dh trails with uplift on site too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.