Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Camping season is almost upon us, lets have your camping meal recipes.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Off to CYB next weekend for a spot of camping and the usual tin of stag chilli and pack of 2 minute rice has come out of the cupboard in anticipation. What do you folks take when camping for a night or two.?

Cougar

Sausage butties for breakfast.

Dice an onion the night before, stick it in the cool bag (in a baggie!) with the sausages.

Sausages in the pan with a bit of oil, fry for a couple of minutes then chuck the onion in. Buns, ketchup, nom.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Chorizo sausage cut into chunks/slices, fried a bit in a little olive oil then mix in some pasta with a bit of Rosso Pesto from a jar mixed all in. Yum Yum. Simple, quick and filling.

higgo
    Free Member

Length of Cumberland sausage in frying pan. Cook one side, cook other side. Tip out any free fat. Pour in tin of beans.

jota180
    Free Member

Camping season – July > August 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Camping season….July 4th>5th

martinhutch

If I’m carrying it in on my back, generally some packet pasta/rice adding chorizo and dried shittake mushrooms. Perhaps followed by some kind of boil in the pot syrup sponge with custard for afters. Porridge with powdered milk and sugar pre-added for brekky.

jonk

Goblin puddings and MOD ration packs for me!

jon1973
    Free Member

I love camping. We have some weekends booked up in April, May a week in June and then 10 days in the German Alps in September. We normally have a big chilli & rice cook up before we go and heat it up when we get there. Other than that the obligatory disposable BBQ. Great Stuff.

peterfile
    Free Member

After over 20 nights of wild camping in the highlands this winter, all I bother with now is Wayfarer type meals.

I’ve had every stove and fuel fail on me (or perhaps my skills at using them are lacking!), and when it’s -20 in the wind and you just HAVE to eat, you need to get something inside you. Those little foil pouches are probably my favourite things in the world at 5pm after a long day on the hills.

Avoid the ones with “dumplings” though. As the old boy at Nevisport so eloquently put it… “they give those packs to NHS nurses to teach them how to check for testicular cancer” 🙂

The MRE ones are good when the weather is so bad that you can’t get a stove going at all. I carry a couple of emergency heating packs in my rucksack all the time. They’ve saved me from eating a cold meal on more than one occasion this season.

Have a google though, there are some pretty innovative and tasty “all in one” options out there now, much more palatable and advanced than the foil packs.

martinhutch

I’ve found them really variable in quality – once you’ve found one or two you like, and aren’t counting the grams, you’re sorted though.

peterfile
    Free Member

once you’ve found one or two you like, and aren’t counting the grams, you’re sorted though.

Lancashire hotpot for dinner, followed by sausage and beans for breakfast 🙂

Sorted 😉

sc-xc

HTH

peterfile
    Free Member

Those little foil pouches are probably my favourite things in the world at 5pm after a long day on the hills.

Actually, i take that back 🙂 😉

swompy
    Free Member

avoid any dubious tin that declairs ‘over heating may impair flavour’ this doesnt bode well for the quality of can contents. ( ye olde oak chicken supreme/irish stew etc are HIDEOUS) , individual portions of breakfast cereal come in a handy milk proof bag should you wish to cut down on washing up, one of my fave camping foods is the army rat pack corned beef hash , and if you have a sweet tooth, the butterscotch pudding is pleasant.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Pot Noodle Sandwich

flatfish
    Free Member

higgo – Member
    Length of Cumberland sausage in frying pan. Cook one side, cook other side. Tip out any free fat. Pour in tin of beans.

It’s known as a curl of Cumberland sausage.

Cougar

Yeah, I’ve had those after a couple of days in the woods.

scruff
    Free Member

Ainsley Haribo cous-cous packets rule.

theotherjonv

camping – nice bit of steak in a bag in the camelback bouncing around all day leaves it nice and tenderised.

Glamping in France. Corned beef hash, but made with duck rillettes from the nearby farmer’s market instead of corned beef.

Nomnom.

sweepy
    Free Member

Goblin puddings and MOD ration packs for me!

You do know they are made from real goblin dont you?

Dhal for me

Haze

Wetherspoons?

Rank.

grum
    Free Member

Risotto is a good ‘posh’ camping meal. Courgette and mint risotto recipe by the pukka geezer JO is very nice.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

get your mates to organise it…lay in sleeping bag and wait, is my preferred camping meal.

bigrich

get 1kg of pork. get a camp oven. initially you’ll have to decide if you want some crackling or just plain roast. With plain roast you can’t do anything wrong. Best one hour before roasting (while making the hot coals from the fire) salt and pepper your piece of pork add some onions and garlic and keep it wrapped in foil until you add it to the pot. If you want crackling rub more salt and fat into the fatty part of the meat. Make some hot coals (or put the pot directly in the fire), add some oil, fry the onions and then add the meat and fry it quickly on all sides. If crackling it’s prob. best to put it on a rack in the pot and roast it with hardly any water ; if no crackling add directly water/beer and simmer it for ~1h (depends on size). Then add carrots and potatoes, 15 min later pumpkin and a bit later mushrooms (if you like). Simmer a bit longer until veggies are soft, then ready to serve. If you do the crackling version and only have a bit of water in there it’s important to turn the pot often, or keep it just on some hot coals, else the veggies will burn on the outside

kayak23

Instant noodles- the meal of choice for the discerning multiday river kayaker in India. Lightweight, just add water (not river water, its got poo and dead folks in it)

Had a lot of the wayfarer type meals on trips too. Very good really but limited if you don’t eat meat. Dried type if weight is an issue.

In the UK, instant risotto, the likes of Ainsley Harriet are good for quick and easy stuff when its freezing cold. Never really been one for elaborate camping meals, prefer to get started on the beer 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Whatever looks nice in the local pub is my camping meal choice in the evening, washed down with beer.

Breakfast is of course beans, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs and tea.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Camping season is almost upon us, lets have your camping meal recipes.’ is closed to new replies.