Camping near Reeth

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Camping near Reeth
  • Thinking about having a long weekend up near Reeth with the family in August – any recommendations? Found this place, but there’s not a vast amount of info.

http://www.orchardcaravanpark.com/

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

First weekend in August is Ard Rock. Place will be heaving with campers, though mainly in the event camp sites. The Orchard park is right next to the family camping site for Ard Rock, assuming they use the same place. You might even be able to use that (£15 a night, but got to be out by 10am Monday), though the Orchard place is a proper caravan park with likely better facilities.

Yeah we’re specifically avoiding ‘Ard Rock weekend as I imagine it’ll be pretty busy round there (plus I’ll try and get a couple of rides in while we’re there). Probably going to be the weekend after (or the weekend after that).

You can camp on a field next to the mountain bike centre if you ring them to arrange it .You’ve got access to café and showers/ bogs, a river and a pub within yards that does decent food.

Ooh. Now that is interesting. I’ve ridden a lot from the DBC, and stayed there when we did C2C. Stu is a top chap. And the Bridge Inn does great food, you’re right. Hmm.

evh22

Murkar campsite had a post Tour de France revamp and has lovely showers! Not as convenient as reeth but nice all the same.

footflaps

There used to be a big campsite next to the Swale, only it used to flood regularly. Had several 100 campers flooded out their tents and caravans on many times in the 80s…

I guess that’s the danger of a lovely campsite by the river…

That place in Muker looks lovely, a bit more what we like than the Orchard one which looks a bit too fancy.

Now, what riding can I do from Muker…

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Now, what riding can I do from Muker

There’s a route up to tan Hill and back, nice for a ploddy ride if you’ve got climbing legs.

https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTkzNTk=

All the usual swaledale stuff is also easily riden from there and there’s plenty of stuff around Gunnerside

Heh, I’m not averse to a plod, that looks pleasant enough, especially if the scenic singletrack is true! Also had a look on the OS and planned a nice day out up to Tan Hill and round Gunnerside Gill, so there should be plenty of options.

footflaps

Now, what riding can I do from Muker…

Head east 1 mile past Muker on road, turn left at Ivelet over humpback bridge and continue on back road to start of Gunnerside Gill BW. Head up bridleway on LHS to mines at the top – cross over the gill, head South on BW and then turn East after 1 mile and ride over the fells to Great Pinseat, head back SE to Reeth via Surrender Mill. Optional loop off Fremington Edge and back on road or BWs by river.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Yep, Muker > Reeth IMO. Nice pub there too.

Loads of options – over the hill to Keld (or up the side of the river), up past Crackpot Hall to pick up the shooting track over to Gunnerside Gill, North Hush descent, climb back out to the N on shooting track, pick one of the hushes or the FP descent, follow GG track and take the electric gate descent down to Gunnerside. Then back however you fancy, road, track.

footflaps

Here is a map…

NB Descent from Keld now has gates on the BW, so no longer such a great downhill run….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24zQPme]Swaledale Round[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Awesome, that looks pretty corking, and a lot of stuff I’ve not done around there before. Probably wouldn’t add in the Fremington Edge bit just ‘cos I know what a horrid climb it is and I’ve done it a few times (it is great though).

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Depends how much you like your descents (and how technical you like them). That one above is descending almost entirely on easy doubletrack (and road) unless you’re prepared to hoick up to Fremmy Edge. Lovely big sky views around Great Pinseat though.

(Can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone trying to ride UP Bunton Hush, either!)

footflaps

There’s not a lot of technical terrain in Swaledale at all that I’ve come across. It’s more nice BW, big view kind of area. If you want technical just go West a bit and ride in the Lakes…

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

True. Beats me how they manage to hold a full enduro there every year. 🙂

I agree up to a point, but there is some ‘mild tech’ and rockier descending to enjoy around Gunnerside.

The last time I did that road descent into Healaugh was after trashing my arm crashing at 20mph in the ford.*

*Interestingly, I hadn’t realised that’s the ford that James Herriot drives through at the start of All Creatures Great and Small. Was always a highlight of my six-year-old TV week*
    ** OK, not that interestingly.

footflaps

*Interestingly, I hadn’t realised that’s the ford that James Herriot drives through at the start of All Creatures Great and Small.

Yep, we used to watch them film bits then I was younger. Parents owned a cottage in Muker since I was 6 and holidaying there every year since I was about -5. NB Cottage now rentable: https://www.yorkshire-cottages.info/yorkshire-dales/swaledale/the-arches-uk2474

Has separate secure garage for bike storage.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.