Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Camping near Les Deux Alpes / Alpe D'Huez and Les Arcs/ La Plagne
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We'll be staying in both areas for several days in June or July and wondered about campsites (for a campervan and hookup). I can see some places in Bourg D'Oisan, but the town seems to be a drive from the trails. Ideally I'd like to be able to ride direct from the site. Decent bars and places to eat would be good too.

General advice for a month long Alps trip would be good too, mainly biking. I'd like to visit France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy. We'll spend a few days in Chamonix (which I know pretty well). Probably Verbier too, though was thinking about Zermat or Saas Fee for a change. Not interested in Morzine area this year. Ideally, staying in some interesting towns would add to the experience. Just 2 of us and the van.

cheers

stevomcd
    Free Member

There are 2 campsites in Bourg Saint Maurice plus one in Seez, which are all handy for the funicular to Les Arcs. If you base yourself in Bourg for a week or two and have your own transport, you can ride a whole bunch of different areas.

Les Arcs (obviously) – fun DH course and bike park, some decent waymarked singletrack, a whole load of un-waymarked singletrack!

Sainte Foy – up the valley about 15mins from Bourg. Lots of marked and unmarked singletrack. Generally very natural and flowing compared to other areas in the valley.

La Rosiere – waymarked stuff is pretty dull, but there's some excellent singletrack going back down to Bourg.

La Thuile – over the Italian border from La Rosiere (drive over or park up at the Col and ride down). Some excellent waymarked singletrack, steep & twisty.

Tignes – 6 DH tracks plus some decent (if a bit variable) singletrack.

All of the above have uplift of one kind or another. You can also ride La Plagne of course, but I don't know as much about the trails over there. Drop me an email if you've got any more questions.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks for the help. I bought the "Mountain Biking Europe" book, which has good info on lift costs and times, but doesnt include any details on campsites. Have you stayed in either of the sites in Bourg St Maurice or Seez?

stevomcd
    Free Member

No, I live (and run mountain bike holidays!) in Sainte Foy!

Sites all look fine from a drive-by, can't really give you any more info than that. Les Arcs/Bourg tourist office site probably useful.

SimonR

Stayed al Le Versoyen campsite before. Close to the funicular and near the supermarket. Set on the edge of some parkland alongside the river. Only a few minutes walk into town. Facilities were good too. The website is quite amusing too link.

Also stayed at Chill Chalet who have just started doing summer accomodation – recommend this too if you wanted a few nights not under canvas. Website here

Cheers,

Simon.

bigdawg
    Free Member

theres a campsite from memory right outside Les2Alpes – been there many many times….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Camping near Les Deux Alpes / Alpe D'Huez and Les Arcs/ La Plagne’ is closed to new replies.