Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Camping near Afan
  • stayhigh

Morning All,

Can anyone recommend somewhere to camp near Afan please? I have an unexpected weekend free and thinking of heading for a jaunt. Electric would be nice but not essential but definitely showers.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bit noisy but on a hot day it sound like a great idea, not sure you get non electric though unless you get yourself a punkawallah.

gribble
    Free Member

Camping at Glyncorrwg

I stayed here many years ago. Returned recently (not camping though, just riding). Friendly bike shop, great cafe, very reasonable prices, hot showers, on the trails. It has elec hook up too.

nickjb
    Free Member

As above, you might as well stay on site. Very handy for the trails. Was a bit midgy last time I stayed but I expect that isn’t campsite specific. There are a few more options here: http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk/1781

JackHammer

I’ve camped at Glyncorrwg and Afan. Depending on the time of year and your blood type(?) you might get midged within an inch of your life.

Other than that it’s all good, fairly basic camping.

Toasty

Maybe cheating, I went there last weekend and stayed at the Premier Inn in Port Talbot about 10 minutes down the road. Bike friendly and decent breakfast at the attached pub (although eating a full cooked breakfast then heading out immediately was a terrible idea).

johnnymarone
    Free Member

All the Gower campsites are within an hour or so fom Afan, and thats taking into account the terrible M4 traffic you experience on a sunny weekend down here.
    Oxwich and Port Eynon are particularly worth a go. Might be worth looking at whats available in Neath area too, thats not far from Afan.
    Midges are a pain in the arse this year though, as stated, so anywhere that allows a fire would be handy.

jamesoz

Depending on the time of year and your blood type(?) you might get midged within an inch of your life

This, I thought I was going to turn into a skeleton yesterday. They even managed to bite my eyelids, had to take antihistamines so I could see properly.
    My arms and legs looked like war and peace in braille.
    I only stopped to add some air to my shock on the big climb. It was like the air had teeth, plenty of mozzies lending artillery support judging by the bigger lumps too.

identitizombie

There’s plenty of great accommodation in the area. The midgies were bloody rife last night went to do a loop of the Blade and they were in hoards.

There’s the Afan lodge, Bryn Bettws Lodge (they have camping, pods and cabins), Willow Springs, camping at Afan forest park and Glyncorrwg ponds.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Camped at Glyncorrwg many years ago (17+?). My one residing memory of the experience is being bitten to death by midges/mozzies from the nearby ponds. Guess is was just the wrong time of year.

Me and my mate sitting outside our tents of an evening wrapped head-to-toe like mummies, and chain-smoking to try and generate clouds of smoke to keep the little feckers at bay.

Happy days.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Camping near Afan’ is closed to new replies.