Camping mat recommendations?

Home Forum Bike Forum Camping mat recommendations?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Camping mat recommendations?
  • Premier Icon Richie_B
    Subscriber

Currently using a thermarest bivi mat 3/4 length which is good but 3/4 length. When camping rather than biving I usually supplement this with a decatholon thermarest copy which although cheap is usually effective for 4-6 weeks before developing a leak.

Can anyone recommend a decent quality replacement?

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

just bought a alpkit base…..not used it yet, but the price was good.

Premier Icon Richie_B
    Subscriber

I’ve looked at the alp kit stuff but don’t know anyone who has used one for long enough to recommend getting one.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

i’m selling a couple of alpkit mats- they’re the “slim airic” ones; full length and only used once. nothing wrong with them, i just never use them.

I’d personally go for a thermarest, just choose the one from there range that best suits your requirements. I have a basecamp and a trail light. Had both for about 8-10 years and both are still in good condition and have never had an issue with them. It’s worth spending the extra initially for kit that lasts.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Is this camping via carrying it all or via a car and campsite? If it’s the former try alpkit or look for some deals. If not some good quality foam mattress from a van etc

Premier Icon Richie_B
    Subscriber

Currently travelling for work I’m using them at least three nights a week, although the surface is usually pretty good. So long lasting and hard wearing is the priority.
    Need to pack up every day into a duffle bag so foam isn’t really an option

Thermarest trail light here. Picked it up free after some kind sole left it at a festival. Used it all this year without issue.

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

Had a little 3/4 Alpkit one (used as a child’s mat) and a big f-off fat double one (for when you’re not travelling light) for a few years and have had no issues.

They’re not as “nice” as Thermarests (we’ve got a few of those too) but if I was buying now I’d almost certainly be saving my money and going for Alpkit.

d45yth

Mountain Equipment ones were nearly half-price in ‘Cotswolds’ the other day.

Premier Icon boriselbrus
    Subscriber

My Vango self inflating mat has been great for 3 years and 60 nights camping.

Premier Icon tricky dicky
    Subscriber

Alpkit ok but difficult to pack away, does not self inflate and I have suffered a couple of punctures on stones when directly onto ground, good value and decent insulation though.
    Check sports direct as they sometimes have some bargain mats in store or go outdoors too?
    Richard

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Subscriber

I had more difficulty packing away some Thermarests that we borrowed than I’ve had with my Alpkits. Had some older ones replaced as they had a faulty batch but their customer service has been first rate.

Premier Icon stratman
    Subscriber

Saw some kind of skeleton mat at outside in hathersage on Sunday, packed up to the size of a can of drink.

http://klymit.com/index.php/products-1/sleeping-pads/inertia-x-frame.html

Premier Icon luffy105
    Subscriber

Got an alpkit dozer and love it. Very comfy and I’m a big bloke. Had it 2 years now and no problems.

Used thermarest for years and years without a leak.

boblo

Alpkit have a good replacement policy because…they need it. I have a Fat Airic for car/valley camping that sprung a leak with very little provocation when the seams let go.

I have a collection of Thermarests and I’d prefer to rely on them when in more serious situations (mountaineering etc).

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

I’ve got a mountain equipment helium 3.8 – http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/code/83120064

Decent enough for the money, use it regularly be it camping proper, sleeping in the car or on a floor. Definitely prefer it with a sleeping bag though, there’s not really enough there to be really comfy on harder ground on its own, but it’s very small and light considering the price.

doh

my exped ul synmat is one of the best purchases i have made in years warm and comfy, packs small and light. bit spendy though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Camping mat recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.