Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • camping in slovenia advice
  • fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

looking to camp this summer in slovenia for climbing biking walking with adults and kids the more remote and rustic the better anyone had experience

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure about the camping bit, but there are plenty of rustic remote places in Slov, it’s not exactly “evolved” very much – which is lovely. Apart from Kransk gregora (sp?) which is like vegas in the middle of the mountains, seriously, I drove over the vrsic pass and nearly laughed as we came into the area, totally out of place.

Still, we stayed in Bovec in a ski place, but there were many smaller villages and towns down the river that undoubtedly had camping places.

Lovely country, good food, cheap as chips (bottles of half-decent local wine for £1!). Bovec isnt well bike-able though, certainly not long or hardcore rides, mostly nice little family friendly loops or even ride out-then-back routes. The forest around it is national park and so protected apart from certain official routes. In the hills around – old war tunnels, amunition, history dug into the mountains. The river Soca, good for rafting, its tributaries where you can do canyoning (including a 170ft abseil down an overhanging waterfall). My Slovenia flickr set..

anagallis_arvensis

Great place the Soca Valley would be my first place to head to. You can fly into Trieste which is just as close as Ljubliana. I went touring a couple of years ago, loads of very well equiped campsites

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No wild camping at all – and when you are there you will see why – no water or flat land up hig. Up in the mountains there are loads of mountain huts to stay in – you can get food and a bunk in a dorm. Campsites in the valleys are good

Great mountaineering tho

Click for more pics

Lots of first world war stuff from the Isonzo front Macabre and interesting and has left good routes into the mountains in places. Krn is a relativly easy top We stayed in Bohinjska Bistrica which was very nice – a bit more family orientated than Bovec.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup, fly into trieste and drive over the border, but double check your car insurance docs STATE that they cover you in Slovenia, ours didnt specifically state Slovenia and we ended up stuck having gone through italian customs, waiting at slovenian for hours for the slovenians to call the italians, faxing documents too and fro, translating from English using a computer etc!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Easyjet to Lubjiana? Why not?

coffeeking
    Free Member

You can, but I found it cheaper and easier to fly into trieste.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

lots to go on there thanks

peteimpreza

Or you could fly to Graz and drive/train/taxi/minibus to Maribor.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Ljubljana is a lovely little town/city. Enough to see and do for a few days. It is small enough to walk around in a couple of hours. A few hours outside of Ljubljana is Lake Bled. Very scenic and there is a great campsite just outside the village. The campsite is a lovely meadow that overlooks Lake Bled. Highly recommended.

anagallis_arvensis

You used to be able to fly to Maribor as well with Ryanair, I think it was. Some good biking there too.

peteimpreza

Used to being the operative word. Ryanair tried to sting Maribor €!,000,000 for the privilege of having three flights a week.

Fothers we have a place in Maribor and we are quite happy to get you the latest brochures when the good lady pops over next month.

Mail me at

peteimpreza AT mac DOT com

If you are interested.

Trekster

http://www.slovenia.info/en/About-Slovenia.htm?o_sloveniji=0&lng=2

Lake Bohinj or Bovec. Plenty of camping and walking, biking, water sports.
    At Bohinj there is a YHA a climbing wall/rock. Camp site at the end of the lake although organised could well well be classed as “rough”, very popular, packed out when I was there last year.

Think all the Italian border crossing check points have gone now that Slovenian is a ful EU member.

Probably going again this year fro the third time. Fancy the Maribor area this time so may mail you Pete.

fothers, could meet for a ride at D`battie and bore you with pics!!! Can you do a mid week ride? I work shifts.

NigE5
    Free Member

Wonderful holiday 2 years ago, came back with a tick bite, and 8 days later went down with a very nasty fever. Just caught it time with antibiotics.
    Spray self with DEET and wear longs.

Trekster

and you can go naturalist on the banks of Lake Bohinj!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘camping in slovenia advice’ is closed to new replies.