Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Camping in Northumberland, where's good?
  • Tiger6791

Me and littlest Daughter (4) and Dog (11) May have the chance to do a bit of camping in / near Northumberland next week.

Anybody recommend any nice sites. ❓

Shackleton

Northumberland is a big old place!

There are quite a few along Hadrians wall (A69) and over towards Bamburgh (nice big beach for dog and daughter, castle and ice cream shop, just off the A1).

Kielder will be midge hell at the moment so I’d avoid.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

If near the Coast is your preferred area then I would recommend Dunstan Hill camping and Caravan. Cracking pub 2 mins walk away.
    https://maps.google.com.au/

joeegg
    Free Member

Quite a nice campsite within walking distance of Wooler.
    At Powburn there is a Caravan Club site with some tent pitches.Nature reserve around the back and the River Breamish runs through it.Excellent facilities and very quiet.

Drac

Coast or Country we can do both and easily both from the same campsite?

I will say many of them are very bust this year thanks to the weather and Northumberland appearing on the TV there’s been a noticeable difference in the number of people on the beaches and around the towns. Still if you go to the right places you won’t see a single soul all day.

Tiger6791

Somewhere near Alnwick Castle area would be handy.

alanf
    Free Member

+1 Dunstan Hill.

Great site and 15 mins walk and you’re on the beach

lemonysam
    Free Member

Personally I haven’t found the midges that bad yet this year but I’d still prefer to camp at somewhere like Beadnell (Annstead Farm) rather than in the hills. The camping there has a very quiet beach just over the road and is about a 10 minute walk into the village or 20 mins to Seahouses. You’re still only 40 mins or so from Wooler and the hills.

Drac

Proctor’s Stead looks pretty good, I’ve only been to these places with work mind never stayed in them.

http://www.proctorsstead.co.uk/index.htm

Easy walk to The Jolly Fisherman at Craster and loads of beaches with easy reach.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thats the one I was thinking of Drac.
    Proctors stead. Used to take my kids there for weekends when they were 3 and 5 sort of age. Only five minutes from home but it was an adventure for them. Short walk to the pub on a evening.
    Eldest one who is now 11 still has memories of camping there. He thinks it was a distance and logistical enterprise on par with an Everest attempt. I do not have the heart to tell him it was less than five minutes from home.

ElShalimo

Proctors Stead is a lovely campsite in a good location.

Trekster

Just home from a tour of the North east/South east Scot.
    Seahouses or Bamburgh area would be good.

Drac

I’m off to Waren Mill tomorrow with the family and a bunch of friends. Forecast is shit.

ElShalimo

Drac – don’t forget to report back on the Cobb !

Drac

Will do.

Tiger6791

Booked Dunstan Hill for next week hopefully the weather will improve

Trekster
    Drac

Dunstan Hill is lovely too.

I’m lying in a tent just now at Waren near Bamburgh. It’s a gorgeous campsite very clean with great showers. Even has a little heated outdoor pool. Weather hasn’t been as bad the forecasted it’s also improved was lovely yesterday but windy.

trambler

Dunstan Hill is good, lovely beaches, walking and well placed.

jp-t853

Drac – Moderator

I’m lying in a tent just now at Waren near Bamburgh. It’s a gorgeous campsite very clean with great showers. Even has a little heated outdoor pool. Weather hasn’t been as bad the forecasted it’s also improved was lovely yesterday but windy.

To counter that we record where we have stayed since we first got a campervan in 2002. We are up to 460 nights and Warren Hill is the only place we have abandoned part way through a stay.

Everyone was pitched very closely together and we had really lovely weather which meant people were sat out drinking and shouting unchecked with children running around with torches at 2am in the morning. It was one of those nights where it started to rain and you think thank **** for that. We went to the Farne islands the next day and arrived back in the evening and it was all teeing off for another round so we packed up and headed home to Cumbria.

Unfortunately club sites including CL’s & CC’s can be your best bet in the honeypots near the North East.

Drac

Certainly hasn’t been like the last 3 nights. The guy patrols about every hour, pitches are big and not squashed in at all, the 11pm rule was followed by all. We played rounders with the kids last night others joined in and more watched on and laughed at us. Certainly one of the nicest I’ve stayed in.

jp-t853

Good to hear of positive change it was two years ago when we went.

Trekster

Drac – Moderator

I was there last week as well, caravan tho 😆
    Nice enough site but as above some campers (big family groups) liked to crowd around each other, made getting in/out with car difficult at time being on the back row.

Tiger6791

Well we had an ace 4 nights at Dunstan Hill. Nice site, busy! But good 🙂

Northumberland is loverly, so pleased to have been.

🙂

MrOvershoot

Tiger6791 – Member

Northumberland is loverly, so pleased to have been.

Ssssshhh don’t tell everyone

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Camping in Northumberland, where's good?’ is closed to new replies.