Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Camping in Denmark
  • SaxonRider

Anyone done it? We are making a series of plans for staying in Wales his summer, but also a plan for the continent if that becomes possible, and Denmark is on the menu.

Camping somewhere near Copenhagen so that we can visit the city, but also enjoy the outdoors, would be best.

We have spent twenty years camping everywhere from Spain to Poland, but this would be the first time driving up to Denmark.

Any suggestions? Any hints as to what we can expect (knowing that this could all be moot if COVID regs don’t permit!)?

dyna-ti

Not thought about Denmark, but was looking at campsites in Gibraltar the other day. Appears to be a few, at about £10-15 PPPN

welshfarmer

Only time I camped in Denmark was en route to Norway in my old Land Rover camper. We just found one of the open beaches and drove on there and spent the night in the truck. I don’t suppose that helps much though sorry 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mick_r

Not camped near Copenhagen but can’t see why it would be an issue. South is just the airport and Oresund bridge, so maybe try North up the coast – I think the city train / museum pass ticket runs all the way up to Helsingor and also Roskilde in the west (Viking ship museum). Love the city but there isn’t a huge amount to do compared to somewhere the size of London so I’d also factor in exploring the surrounding area over a week or so. All the trains are geared up to roll bikes straight on for normal commuters so don’t overlook that as a method of local transport.

We drove there last time through Germany and Fehmarn “island” to get the Puttgarten ferry. There is a large but basic campsite on the German side for an overnight stop-off before the 45 min ferry to Denmark (we drove Rotterdam-Fehmarn in a day including a 3 hour car breakdown incident….).

We had a few days camping at Mons Klint chalk cliffs. Nice site but quite big / busy. There is an overflow field and facilities across the road that was quieter. There are some short MTB trails in the woods there but very basic so don’t get too excited 🙂

Silkeborg area is OK. The very north tip of Jutland is quite nice if you like sea and sand dunes. You could do a bit of a circular of Denmark and a bit of Sweden crossing Bridge or Helsingor and then back across from Gothenburg and come down Jutland home.

bigjim

Some friends have used the Shelter app which I think just references the locations on here https://udinaturen.dk/

For ‘normal’ campsites just google I guess. There is a lot more to Denmark than Copenhagen, I’d also be visiting the other islands and places like Møns Klint and so on. Take your full mountain walking kit and oxygen and tackle the highest peak in DK at 170m. Nip over to Sweden for some hills.

English is widely spoken in Copenhagen area but less so further away although touristy places should be OK at a guess.

Don’t look at the price of anything and close your eyes when paying.

Edukator
    Free Member

We cycle-camped around Demark. Some of the most expensive patches of grass with toilets I’ve ever stayed on. Only one deserves a thumbs up, Roskilde Camping. The pitch was on a grassy slope down to the water front with Viking boats sailing past, IIRC it even had a bar. There’s a campsite on the road south of Copenhagen which is convenient but very much in the expensive grass and toilets category.

The contrast with the German Baltic coast is surprising. Germany is colourful with oompa bands playing, lots of touristy things to do and hellish busy during the German holidays. Over the border to Demark and things went grey, quiet and low key.

csb

Cycle toured Jutland and had a great time. The sites were really well equipped most had kitchens and social rooms for grim weather, some had saunas. Wild camping in forests up north. Memorable site outide Aarhus which is a great city. North sea cycle route brutally windy.

ebikegum

We’ve camped in Denmark twice, both at the same campsite in the gorgeous town of Juelsminde (
    Juelsminde Strand Camping). This is mainland Denmark, near to Horsens.

On the last trip we also spent a couple of days camping just outside of Copenhagen at a site called Roskilde Camping – great site.

If it wasn’t for the language I’d live in Denmark in a heartbeat. Mind you, very expensive!!

bigjim

If it wasn’t for the language I’d live in Denmark in a heartbeat. Mind you, very expensive!!

In CPH you can get away with very little Danish if you work for a multinational where english is the ‘work language’. And the salary makes up for the increased cost of living. The lack of hills is the main downside for me.

redmex
    Free Member

Just take some dope, hair in dreadlocks , vote green party, don’t use soap much and stay in Christiania for free
    Copenhagen is nice but probably £6 now for a flat white
    Then change your currency and a wee trip to Malmö

chewkw
    Free Member

In 1991/2 can’t really remember the exact date me and my mate from Borneo decided to camp all over Europe because we wanted to visit “strange” places, so we arrived in Denmark late September after camping in Germany. Since we had no clue of camping in those days our tent was a cheap Argos type tent and our sleeping bag was also the cheapest (thinness) we could afford. Arrived in Denmark via ICE train was brilliant, we had cheap tickets but we stayed in the first class coach since the train was empty and the train conductors just let us because we didn’t know where to sit etc.

Anyway, the weather was warm when we arrived in the morning. We then took a metro or train (can’t remember now) to a campsite outside of Copenhagen and when we arrived at the campsite we were very happy to see that we were the only ones there and had all the space to us. We went to the campsite office to pay for 2 nights (the lady looked at us strangely there is a reason for this) so happily we went to set up our tent and proceed to visit the city centre like tourists. All the tourist spots checked! Eat some local food, checked! Looking at people, checked! By 8pm we went back to the campsite and started our cold dinner (bread and some cold meat etc). Weather was still fine. Both of us then relax and slept because we were tired …

Then at around 1am in the morning we were both woken because we couldn’t sleep as it was freezing cold (temperature must be in single digit – we were used to average 32s to 34c daily in Borneo) and we had to use our emergency tinfoil blanket for the remaining night. We were both shivering like fools but laughing all the time as we felt stupid. Then we understood why the campsite was empty. We tried to sleep but struggled a bit and this continued until around 8am when the campsite office opened and we paid and left. I think the lady asked us if we were alright and I remember saying Denmark was beautiful but it was freezing cold, she just laughed. We took the next train back to Germany to a meeting point in Berlin (other friends were camping in Germany and had a good time … yes, we called them the Brits who love to drink … a lot). We described our experience of nearly catching hyperthermia and the Brits just laughed their heads off. Then 6 of us travelled south by train back to London.

The moral of the story. Don’t camp in late September and if you do have proper equipment. 😂

Good fun and experience for two young chaps from Borneo exploring the cold weather. 🤣

mjsmke

Don’t until Covid is gone. Just stay in the UK for now. No need to go abroad and potentially bring back another variant of covid.

tuboflard

Never been but spotted this App a while back. Some great looking places.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/shelter/id626652345

pj-slay
    Free Member

We did 4 weeks camping there a few years ago for our honeymoon with a week spent doing a mini road trip from Copenhagen up to Oslo via Oresend Bridge and ferry back in the middle.

We got the overnighter from Harwich to Hook of Holland and then arrived at 8am and I drove all the way to Ribe which is just across the German/Danish border with 2 loo stops in about 9 hours of driving. It was a bit brutal doing it that way but it did mean we were in Denmark the same day we got off the ferry. On the plus side when we were there fuel was 90p a litre so that helped keep costs down.

Campsites for a camper van pitch were about £25 a night but without exception all campsites we stayed in were very well managed and maintained with very nice kitchen and shower blocks. Copenhagen was great for three days but we did cheat and stayed in a plush apartment there as there were no obvious campsites locally and we fancied treating ourselves.

Silkeborg is their answer to the Lake District and there were lots of marked mountain biking trails there – I ran a lot around there as I had no bike but it was beautiful if not epic.

We should have gone back last year with our little boy until Covid knackered things up but it’s definitely on our list once things settles down. The only change is I’d be doing the cheaper Dover-Dunkirk ferry and then arrange a night camping in Germany on the way up, don’t think Harwich-Hook of Holland gains you enough of a benefit in relation to increased cost and hassle.

ab1970
    Free Member

Bear in mind the route you take may affect the need for quarantine/isolation on your return. Last year, my family flew back from CPH, while I drove via Hook of Holland which meant I had to isolate while they didn’t. The drive is OK, but there can be bad traffic crossing the Elbe in Hamburg and further north as well as delays at the border into Denmark. Taking the ferry from Puttgarden is a good option.

If I remember right, last year you needed confirmation of a week’s booking to enter Denmark, which may limit your options.

In addition to what others have said, the North coast of Zealand is the main tourist area (around Hornbaek). South Djurlands on Jutland is another area worth considering. You can take the ferry direct to from Zealand to Aarhus, which avoids a long drive through Funen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Camping in Denmark’ is closed to new replies.