Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Camping coffee
  • bernard
    Free Member

Been through various coffee making scenarios while camping…..what do you use for

1) more than one cup eg cafetiere? Any robust ones?
    2) one mug?

Simple is best any ideas?

rockhopperbike

aeropress

theblackmount
    Free Member

Cafetiere.

You can buy unbreakable ones (Lexon? )

Stoner
    Free Member

Starbucks via sachets.

I have an aeropress, but why carry such a lump around when a handful of tiny foil sachets produces good coffee?

matt_outandabout

I have stainless steel cafetiere for when I am canoeing.
    I use coffee bags for carrying with light and uberlight stove (one pot, how do you pour?).
    I use instant sachet(!) and no milk for uber-ultralight.

bernard
    Free Member

We had an in breakable one … The wife broke it
    Drink too much coffee for sachets would cost me a fortune I will add a bit to my original post it’s family camping rather than backpack/lightweight camping

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a wife like that.

4 glass cafetieres later, I got two of these stainless steel ones.
    http://www.bodum.com/gb/en-us/shop/detail/1303-16/?navid=87

So far Mrs Atilla the Stoner hasnt killed them.

bernard
    Free Member

Oooooo shiny I like……so SS cafetiere for multiple cups and an aeropress thing when I just want a quick cup. Are they really as quick and as simple as the advert says? Do they fit over a standard cup/mug?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Aero press + 1

Nobby

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Depends how long and what sort of camping.
    Car camping for a week = aeropress. If I was carrying everything on my back I’d be considering posh sachets I think

NZCol

We got given a box of these which we use on expedition races – they are pretty magnificent really for what they are. http://www.growerscup.com/eng/

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Swissgold one cup. It weighs grammes and is indestructible with no papers easy to wash and hygienic

You need something to tamp the grinds onto the gold filter or it’s not so good. I use a cork from a whiskey bottle which weighs nothing. Makes coffee at least as good as caffitierre

zokes
    Free Member

Stove-top for us

hjghg5
    Free Member

Stove top espresso pot for me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Starbucks Via sachets here too. Though, I’ve taken Millicano for longer trips – I’ve tasted far worse from stove-tops.

onandon
    Free Member

It has to be an aeropress. Only £21 on eBay right now.

crankboy
    Free Member

Ground coffee in a zip lock plastic bag (rationed out at one cup per day) plastic funnel and one filter paper per cup. Use the funnel to hold the paper and coffee . Pour boiled water through slowly . A nice little morning ritual and an excellent cup. If not Lakeland plastics do a combined mug and filter caffetiere thing.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

^smartcafe I’ve found to be the best solution as it can also be used as a tea/general mug as well. Also used it to make a couple of mugs for others. depends tho, whether you are car camping or bike/backpacking.

ironbrucove

Aeropress every where, home, camping, bivi.

w1zard
    Free Member

I’ve got both a Smartcafe and an Aeropress, and it’s got to be the Aeropress every time.

The Smartcafe is good, but it can’t match the quality of coffee the Aeropress kicks out. Plus the Aeropress is bombproof if you bash it about while camping.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Camp Coffee

molgrips
    Free Member

Stove-top here for the caravan, sachets otherwise. Although I do have a single version of what nobby posted. It’s ok, not really any different to a stovetop though.

justatheory
    Free Member

Mud?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Choose the size you want

fasthaggis

organic355
    Free Member

Jet boil with coffee press

Sam

Stovetop here. For lighter weight trips I usually just go cowboy style – grounds in cup, pour water over, wait a minute for grounds to settle to the bottom, don’t drink too far down

zokes
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Starbucks Via sachets here too. Though, I’ve taken Millicano for longer trips – I’ve tasted far worse from stove-tops.

You’re doing it wrong then…

deadslow

LOL at the large jetboil photo. The plunger has been mounted the wrong way round……..see small photo for the correct way!!
    Pedants corner.

surfer
    Free Member

Damm you Chrisdw 😡

<removes credit card>

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’re doing it wrong then…

I’m not. I don’t use one.

elliptic
    Free Member

LOL at the large jetboil photo. The plunger has been mounted the wrong way round……..see small photo for the correct way!!

Jetboil seem to disagree with you, it’s the small photo that’s wrong.

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/coffee-press.html

Personally I go with the Moka pot but each to their own…

40mpg

One of these when bivvying

Cafetiere mug

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

On my 9 month tour [as a coffee addict]

Just pour boiling water over grounds in a cup. Wait a couple of minutes and stir – THEY ALL SINK!

All you have to do is maybe catch a couple of floating grounds, [usually less than 10], don’t agitate it, and stop before you hit the bottom.

I found that when the grounds are exposed at the bottom of the mug a few little bits will float again, simply press your lips against the edge of the mug and sip gently from below the waterline so as not to slurp in the air/groundsontop.

No equipment required!

zokes
    Free Member

I’m not. I don’t use one.

How would you be able to form the opinion that the sachets are better then?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Fracking Conran mug…… I forgot about that. It is insulated though, so it may not be good for quick coffee in the AM, and also is bulky.

I use this myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Camping coffee’ is closed to new replies.