• This topic has 27 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Camping/camper stoves
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

We’re converting our transit to a camper but we dont have the space nor want to sacrifice more having a fixed stove so we’re looking for something we can store and put away and then get out for use and possibly take it out of the van if the weather suits. Weight isn’t an issue and we have tonnes of storage space under our bed, more concerned with something of decent quality and something thats decent.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Cadac Safari Chef, great bit of kit.

Tiger6791

Cadac Safari chef. 👍✅

tekp2
    Free Member

Cadac safari for the win

GolfChick
    Free Member

Never heard of one so I’m glad I posted up because it looks fab! My only thought is when we just want a cuppa in the morning it might be a pain to have to lug it out but looks great for proper meals. Maybe I’ll get a separate quick system for brews and porridge first thing.

spooky_b329

For something you are going to use fairly regularly, can you not have a removable piece of worktop or a drawer that can be pulled out containing the hob? Seems a major pain to have to dig out a hob every time you want a brew in the morning.

You could still have it removable to use outside the van.

towzer

Well pleased cadac Safari chef user here, have an internal and external gas point for making best of weather

Re morning cuppaonly, have a look at 12v kettles, they’re painfully slow, but if it’s filled ready to go, half wake up, grunt, plug it in, wake up when it boiling

dove1

Just get one of the cheapy aerosol burners for your morning cuppa.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Alpkit jetboil type thing is perfect for cuppa/porridge, assuming you mean those shitey ready brek type pots that they call porridge, and not real porridge.

ElShalimo

If you have mains power then use an electric kettle.

If you’re off grid, make a flask the night before

trailwagger
    Free Member

Safari Chef is good for BBQ and one pot wonders. I changed to one of these a couple of years ago and can honestly say it transformed my camping cooking. Double burner, so you can cook curry and rice at the same time for example, or have one pot and one hot plate at the same time. Brilliant bit of kit.

https://www.cadacinternational.com/uk/products/portable-bbq/2-cook/?variant=deluxe

GolfChick
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge I mean jumbo rolled oats with milk, dried fruit and chopped banana so no not ‘one pot crap’ but still it only really needs a warm up so I imagine I could use a one burner type thing as that was perhaps what i was considering. Part of me wants to be able to make my fella a decent coffee in the morning as well rather than instant rubbish. We’ve already compromised space to get him a king size bed in so may as well start the day off right!

No mains power but a fair idea about filling up night before and just turning it on as we do have a 12v plug near the bed.

@trailwagger
    yeah I’d seen those in my brief search and wondered about them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cadac user here too. Got a 2 ring hob setup in our van which we rarely use (apart from a brew on a morning/night). Cadac gets some right hammer – great bit of kit.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Never heard of one so I’m glad I posted up because it looks fab! My only thought is when we just want a cuppa in the morning it might be a pain to have to lug it out but looks great for proper meals. Maybe I’ll get a separate quick system for brews and porridge first thing.

If you’re thinking about a small camping stove to go with a Cadac (using the same gas cans), for the quick brew or no faff quick cooking I prefer a spider gas stove particularly for stability and power. They’re cheap(ish), powerful, stable, pack very small and usually you can direct feed them in cold weather and towards end of a can when other gas stoves will be getting weak (you can also shake the can to gee it up without disturbing the stove). And, unlike other stoves, you can use gas cans from places like B&Q screwfix etc (the long ones meant for blow torches) so more sources for gas. Basically I think a remote hose system is better than a direct screw in system.

ahsat

Sorry, slight hijack as we are looking at similar ideas for our T6 and I really like the look of that double burner @trailwagger. We have loads of simple stoves for a morning coffee which we always have for walking, and will probably have a 1 ring induction for quick brews (we are installing 230V system). That Cadac might be the ideal solution for the rest of time and not take up masses of space.

Do you all keep your gas in a locker if you are sleeping in the same space?

trailwagger
    Free Member

We are looking at similar ideas for our T6 and I really like the look of that double burner @trailwagger. We have loads of simple stoves for a morning coffee which we always have for walking, and will probably have a 1 ring induction for quick brews (we are installing 230V system). That Cadac might be the ideal solution for the rest of time and not take up masses of space.

Be careful, someone with better knowledge might be able to confirm the numbers, but most sites with 240v hookup are limited by amps. In my old van, I couldn’t have electric heater, kettle and toaster all on at the same time for example. I would of thought an induction hob would have a huge amp usage.

ahsat

It’s ok, the stupidly expensive battery system we are putting in (!!) will support an induction hob (likes of 3 Bridges campers do this too) and we will just unplug from the campsite network when using it if needed. We will only have the hob. No space for kettles, toasters etc.

ahsat

It would be worth familiarising yourselves with their dubious safety record before parting with cash:

We were involved in helping to put a fire out due to one in a campsite! I’d also avoid.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

No, GasIt underslung LPG tank with bbq point mounted under the sill of van.

scotroutes
    TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have a twin gas ring built in unit in my van (gas is in locker). I back it up with a jetboil but truth be told I haven’t used the jetboil ever.

I looked at the cadac but I have a campervan for simplicity and they just look a faff to me. I ended up getting a second hand one of these https://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-27146-party-grill-200-stove.aspx which is small enough to be used as a simple gas burner and can be taken outside to do full barbecues. I got half a canister from previous owner so I bought another to back it up. Despite using it for an entire week in Devon last year, I’m still to start on the second canister.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yeah – but they only cost £40 or so. This is STW.

True Colin! 😂

@Golfchick
    the wee alpkit stove is great for the likes of porridge, you can simmer with it, and the pot is a good size.

Also has the advantage of its size, fits in my 25l pack for days in the hills too.

ahsat

We’ve had two of those Alpkit stoves fail (the screwthread doesn’t last). And now it just takes forever to boil. We now use an Optimus system very successfully, for exactly the morning coffee/porridge requirements (currently with the tent).

GolfChick
    Free Member

Wowzers how much!!!

scotroutes

It’s in a cupboard with a rubber seal on the door and a floor vent.

timidwheeler

We’ve had two of those Alpkit stoves fail (the screwthread doesn’t last).

This is a known fault with a few batches. I had two replaced with no hassle at all. It would be worth contacting Alpkit for a replacement.

ahsat

This is a known fault with a few batches. I had two replaced with no hassle at all. It would be worth contacting Alpkit for a replacement.

Yeah they have replaced two for us as well. We just find this (third one) takes ages to boil a pot. Given up with them being unreliable out and about.

Wowzers how much!!!

Had forgotten that! Bought p20 it is as a birthday present.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Camping/camper stoves’ is closed to new replies.