Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Camping at the Gower – 3 cliffs bay or Hillend?
  • Pieface

Thinking of going for a few days and fancy 3 cliffs bay (have a 3 year old) or Hillend(?)

Apparently Hillend have done some work to address the party groups that used to go but any thoughts from anyone much appreciated.

Pigface
    Free Member

IMO 3 Cliffs is nicer and closer to Swansea if you are looking for something to do, ‘Genith/Hillend is a bit bleak when the weather is bad, big ole beach though.

I would be amazed if they have sorted out the party side of things. That is the main reason to go camping at Hillend 😆

andyfla
    Free Member

3 cliffs is stunning and lovely for access to that beach, the front field has the better view but it catches the weather much more than the back field and the facilities are very good.

Not a clue about Hillend

ransos
    Free Member

Hillend is massively busy during the holidays, but probably ok at other times. It’s a great location for access to the beach.

burko73

always was no dogs at hillend if that makes any difference.

We used to have some good times at hillend and remember the walk from the site to the pub at night was like dicing with death… P*&%ed up people driving with people crammed in and surfing on the roof etc barrelling down narrow lanes with equally pi&$ed up walkers doesn’t make for a relaxing walk back to the campsite.

I haven’t been for a few yrs as we’ve got a dog. you need some good tent pegs at 3 cliffs if this winters storms continue…

ferrals
    Free Member

Are you planning on doing a few rides as well? Both good locations for a quick hour but imo threecliffs a touch better.

Better views at threecliffs (subjective I guess)

I guess havicng a three year old pubs arent a priority but Kings head at gennith nicer thna gower inn in Parkmill

No idea about party groups at hillend but as Pigface says I very much doubt it, normally seem to be groups of youngsters camping whenever i go that way.

One thing to be aware is that three cliffs is not a massively safe beach, a few people died last year. lots of people do swim there but at times there are bad rips.

I don’t know what the facilities are like but another option would be nicolston farm campsite, can walk straight down to Tor beach which is a quiet beach and one of my favouirtes on Gower, loads of space.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have you considered Nicholaston Farm? Backs onto the beach via several paths through the sand dunes

Edit: too slow.

Rockape63
    Free Member

This is ideal for a couple and young child and set back 300m from the Campsite. Its very homely and dry!

Alex

Stayed a couple of times at http://www.pittoncross.co.uk which is lovely. It’s has a fab walk to the beach which you cannot access by car. Might be a bit too much for a three year old tho. Not been for three years but it was friendly, clean and decent sized pitches when we last stayed.

Pieface

Stayed at Pitton Cross previously and it is nice. Fancy something a bit different.

Will be taking the bike so know a few of the routes. Planing to arrive Sunday night then stay a few nights outside of the school holidays.

stgeorge

Been to Hillend last four years, love it, even if campsite is full it never seems that bad as they have a limit on number of tents, not space available, great showers. Never had any problems with partying,though some whinging toddlers can need shooting in family field.

Trouble is the beach gets packed on hot days

If you’ve lost use of legs that is!

IdleJon

Better views at threecliffs (subjective I guess)

I guess havicng a three year old pubs arent a priority but Kings head at gennith nicer thna gower inn in Parkmill

There’s a better choice of pubs near 3 Cliffs, with the two in Bishopston, the Beaufort in Kittle as well as the Gower Inn, the cafe at Pennard, etc. Also for a 3 yr old, the Mill itself in Parkmill would be a nice afternoon out and there are nice walks inland, up through Parc Le Breos and Cefn Bryn.

One thing to be aware is that three cliffs is not a massively safe beach, a few people died last year. lots of people do swim there but at times there are bad rips.

Yeah be careful. But the stream is a nice place to splash with kids, as long as the tide’s not too high.

I love both bays, but 3 Cliffs is a bit special. I was running there a few weeks ago, thinking how absolutely beautiful it is.

And ferrals is right, the riding is just a bit better near 3 Cliffs.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I go to 3 cliffs most weekends to walk the dog so know it well. Where do you go riding? round the top past torbay and along to oxwich? Or in land?

P.s. Don’t let the kids go in the sea at 3 cliffs. I was there a few months ago when the worst happened, it was horrible.

ferrals
    Free Member

Good riding on Cefn Bryn, a nice bridle way from campsite down to parkmill and again back up the other side and over the golf course to Southgate. In fact the sunny side segment on strava is my favourite climb in the area, hard to clear even when dry, almost impossible at the moment, makes a fun descent too.

Pigface
    Free Member

The sand loss on ‘Genith beach is shocking, there never used to be stone/pebbles visible it was always covered, I guess the dredging off Burry Port does have a great effect.

BigJohn

I prefer Monknash to the Gower. Heritage Coast Campsite, Nash Point and The Plough & Harrow make a great weekend.

Dickyboy

+1 for Nicholaston farm very friendly and good for kids

benjamins11
    Free Member

I used to live next to three cliffs, so know the owner. It’s an immaculately run site bit does like its rules. Hillend has always seemed a bit of a cash cow in comparison.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Plus its Gower not the Gower. You don’t say the Pembrokeshire do you 😉 sorry for the pedantry.

IdleJon

To clarify it’s The Gower peninsular, or just Gower. Or if you want to sound like one of the more twittish residents ‘Gar’.

BigJohn – Member
    I prefer Monknash to the Gower. Heritage Coast Campsite, Nash Point and The Plough & Harrow make a great weekend.

And I prefer the French Riviera because the water is warmer. That’s not what’s being asked though. 🙄

Where do you go riding? round the top past torbay and along to oxwich? Or in land?

As Ferrals says, plus back towards Pwll Du and that area.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Camping at the Gower – 3 cliffs bay or Hillend?’ is closed to new replies.