Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • camping and bike storage
  • tomj
    Free Member

So going camping in a couple of weeks (small, out the way campsite) and fancy taking the bike with me. What’s the ost secure way to store the bike at night? Car won’t be right next to the tent. In the tent porch – but nothing to lock them to but right next to us? In the car, wheels off under a blanket and locked to the isofix? Or leave on the toofrack, perhaps extra lock between the bie and rack?

Or should I leave it at home and hire a bike??

thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

paranoid much ? or camping in baghdad.

out of sight out of mind – in the car under blanket or in tent but sure as hell not on the rack or in the open.

another + for ugly bike van.

damascus
    Free Member

How about one of those padlocks that have an alarm built in as soon as they move?

But could be annoying on a windy campsite?

jaymoid

You could also ask the campsite if they have a garage or something you can chain up the bikes in.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Have you been camping before?

Generally in the car will be fine unless you’re camping in some shite hole. But in the tent is also fine.

When we used to do 2 weeks camping in summer I used to take the roof rack with bike mounted bike carriers off the car, sit it to the side of the tent and lock the bikes to it. I bought one of those screw in dog lead clip things, screwed that into the ground in the middle of the rack and ran a chain lock through that. Meant the bikes could be left outside and were reasonably secure.

teamslug
    Free Member

+1 for screw in dog lead clip. I used to do that…..

tomj
    Free Member

Cheers everyone. Been camping loads before bit never with the bike. Suddenly occurred to me I didn’t know what to do with it. It’s a campsite in the middle of nowhere miles from any dodgy areas so if they don’t have a garage/shed will put them in the car. No way I’ll get them in the car until we’ve unpacked though!!

ransos
    Free Member

I took my cheap bike and chained it to a tree.

ontor
    Free Member

I always use 2 dog anchors and a lock in such a way as to make it impossible to unscrew the whole lot from the floor.

MoreCashThanDash

Seem to recall someone on here saying that if you use two of the screw in dog lead things and lock through them they cannot just be unscrewed?

winston
    Free Member

Cycle toured for several months on my own all over Europe/north Africa – left bike outside every night Mainly unlocked…..25 years ago though. I reckon if I was doing the same now it would get nicked

times have changed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not indefinately, but long enough that they’d probably wake you or give up.

I just run a cheap cable lock arround a tent pole (actualy a padlock and some 3mm stainless rigging off the boat). A good pair of wire cutters could cut through it, but you’d probably shake the tent enough to wake me in the process.

daleftw
    Free Member

When I’m off touring, I just leave mine lying about outside the tent. Think I locked it to a fence once.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Seem to recall someone on here saying that if you use two of the screw in dog lead things and lock through them they cannot just be unscrewed?

It’s the same using one unless the chain is really long. They could be dug up easily enough or the top bit bent.

matt_outandabout

MoreCashThanDash

😆

ninfan
    Free Member

Allow wheels on the car? Locking wheel nuts?

Bike D locked via the frame to one of the alloys

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I bought one of =http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271060647478&alt=web theserecently. Cheap but better than the dog leash coil things. A complete bastard to get back out using a wheelbrace so I imagine it’d be impossible to remove if you were trying to steal it.

mjsmke

Use 2 of those screw in anchors close together with a D Lock through them making it impossible to unscrew them. Could be pulled oil with a lot of force but good enough in the porch of the tent overnight.

globalti
    Free Member

You’re right to be paranoid; friends of mine had all their bikes cable locked to a tree some distance away and out of sight of the tents and during the night a van came into the site and the lot disappeared.

stumpy01

I’d leave them in the car or in the tent if space allows.

When I lock the bike up at the 24/12 I always use a miniature cow bell through the lock. The slightest movement of the lock and the bell jangles. Quite a distinctive sound, so easy to tell if someone is messing with your pride and joy.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Last time I camped with my bike, I locked to to my tow bar.

It was still there in the morning.

Superficial
    Free Member

Locked in the car – not to the Isofix (too flimsy) but the clasp for the seat which is revealed when you fold the seats down. Every car I’ve seen seems to have a pretty chunky ring that’s welded onto the car body. Motorbike chain. Ain’t going anywhere without a lot of noise.

cbike
    Free Member

I want to know how you lot are packing this car into your panniers, cause I’ ve tried and it wont fit. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the car, or whatever your insurance specifies for away from home cover.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You know when i said “out of site out of mind” globalti i meant out of sight and mind of the thief – not out of the site and mind of the owner.

If its hidden in the car and they cant see what it is – the temptation is away.

In full view – and hidden from the owners eyes the thief is free to work on the lock nd steal it.

If i couldnt get it in the car – the vestibule of the tent would be my next option – locked to its self so its unridable.

When ive been touring – all over – ive never locked my bike up unless in an urban camp site.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘camping and bike storage’ is closed to new replies.