Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Campervan layout ideas: let’s hear them!
  • Premier Icon kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

As per title. Available space is 5.1m long, 2.3m wide, 2.1m high:

There’s a 0.6m x 45degree chamfer missing at the lower rear:

Current plan is fixed high level bed across rear, with (upright) bike storage underneath. Kitchen units and cupboards down right hand side, seating and table down left side. Shower tray and toilet front right corner. Door is at front left corner:

Needs to be suitable for two people to live out of for long-ish periods of time (3 months initially). Oh, and I need to have it done in 2 months time…

Any better layout ideas? Hook me up please!

Premier Icon IHN

If it’s not already, you want insulate that.

Bed across the back though, above the chafer, with tonnes of storage underneath. Possibly with a wardrobe at the non-window end.

Premier Icon Mister P
    Free Member

Nothing to add layout wise but damn that’s cool.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

told you before .

old sofa and a matress.

you can thank me later 😀

Premier Icon geuben
    Free Member

You layout description almost matches what we did in our bus and we were happy with that. You box is bigger than the bus was though, we had the bed at the back but down the length rather than width (was only ~180cm wide). The boot opening wasn’t big enough for upright bikes either so they were laid over.

Premier Icon alpin

Camperjuggernaut…!

You’ll have fun driving that around Cornwall or old Italian towns….

Premier Icon kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

If it’s not already, you want insulate that.

Bed across the back though, above the chafer, with tonnes of storage underneath. Possibly with a wardrobe at the non-window end.

The box used to be a fridge, so it’s well insulated. The walls and roof are a fibreglass/45mm foam/fibreglass sandwich, there’s around 150mm foam under the floor.

Nothing to add layout wise but damn that’s cool.

Comment gratefully accepted 😀

told you before .

old sofa and a matress.

you can thank me later 😀

If I run out of time the seating area may well be sofa based… I’d rather build some seating with storage underneath though!

You layout description almost matches what we did in our bus and we were happy with that. You box is bigger than the bus was though, we had the bed at the back but down the length rather than width (was only ~180cm wide). The boot opening wasn’t big enough for upright bikes either so they were laid over.

Bus, you say? Any pics?

Camperjuggernaut…!

You’ll have fun driving that around Cornwall or old Italian towns….

Yea, I have pretty much zero desire to take it anywhere near cornwall. In fact it’ll only ever be in England to get to a ferry. Small towns… well, we’ll see how that goes 😀

Premier Icon ElShalimo
    Free Member

Check out BiMobil layouts for their large 4*4 units

https://www.bimobil.com/en/modelle/fernreise-und-expeditionsmodebile/

Here’s an Iveco unit next to our Westfalia Transit camper in Mittenwald in October 2014 (sadly our van got nicked after that holiday..  😢)

Premier Icon geuben
    Free Member

You can see some photos of our bus here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPqqTU7f1hKVRHR89

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

Only layout tip I can give you is to keep all your services on one side, makes the job much simpler.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

The box used to be a fridge, so it’s well insulated. The walls and roof are a fibreglass/45mm foam/fibreglass sandwich, there’s around 150mm foam under the floor.

just you wait till you get somewhere warm and all the old smells leach out of the foam #:d

Premier Icon pocpoc

Saw this beast in Portugal last weekend…
    camper beast

Wouldn’t like to try and navigate that down any roads, nevermind narrow ones!

Other than that, I have nothing to add expect jealousy for all of you self-build converters. It’s a dream I have. One day maybe.

Premier Icon ElShalimo
    Free Member

I’ve seen loads of these expedition rigs in Europe. They seem to do 45mph on the motorway and the tyres make an awful noise.
    I expect they’ve got very loud stereo systems !!

Premier Icon spooky_b329

If your bikes are not mega expensive, I’d be tempted to put a tubular steel roof rack on that cab, and build up the sides so its not obviously you have bikes up there. Lock them and throw a good heavy tarp over the rack. Its not uncommon to see overlanders with bikes on top and they will not be as tempting compared to a low rack on the back of your average motorhome.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve seen loads of these expedition rigs in Europe. They seem to do 45mph on the motorway and the tyres make an awful noise.

That’ll be a speed increase for Kenneth.

His last trip to Europe was in an S2 .

He declared it unpleasant and sold it soon after.

I expect the same when he gets back this time. 🙂

Free Member

Check out BiMobil layouts for their large 4*4 units

https://www.bimobil.com/en/modelle/fernreise-und-expeditionsmodebile/

Some interesting ideas there, cheers. Also, that Unimog… The want is strong, even though it would be too small and too off-roady for me. Sorry for the loss of your van :'(

Ooft. I think that could prove quite a limitation on anything other than perhaps the Mongolian steppe!

You can see some photos of our bus here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPqqTU7f1hKVRHR89

Ace! No issues with getting a nice bright living space with all those windows!

Yea, if you want to get somewhere quickly and quietly you don’t want to take a 4×4 lorry. If you’re in no hurry though, they’re quite fun! Fairly civilised at a gentlemanly 70km/h, noise (and fuel consumption) gets a bit unpleasant if you sit at max speed.

If your bikes are not mega expensive, I’d be tempted to put a tubular steel roof rack on that cab, and build up the sides so its not obviously you have bikes up there. Lock them and throw a good heavy tarp over the rack. Its not uncommon to see overlanders with bikes on top and they will not be as tempting compared to a low rack on the back of your average motorhome.

One of the reasons for getting such a large base vehicle (well, one of the ways I justified it to myself anyway) was that I really don’t like leaving bikes outside. That’s what I have to do with the land rover, and while it’s always been fine in Scotland I’d be very uncomfortable leaving bikes outside somewhere I’m not familiar with.

That’ll be a speed increase for Kenneth.

What’s the rush, maaaaaan?

Anyway, yesterday I spent some time sat in the back drinking coffee and waving a tape measure around, then went and bought a load of wood. Gonna get busy today knocking up a bed frame and will take it from there 🙂

Premier Icon kayak23

Sick wagon!  👌

Good luck with the build. Would love to see progress pics. 👍

Premier Icon Davesport

Amazing looking project that I’ve got nothing constructive to add to as most of it’s been mentioned already.

I think that’s the same truck my lad sent me pictures of parked in Ullapool at the end of last year. Built by Motorcraft if it’s the same one.

Video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yr2UuSmzr8

Premier Icon andylc
    Free Member

How many gallons to the mile does it do?

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Ironically….more than his land rover ambulance.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

#insertphotooftopgeardirtyraacal*

Premier Icon welshfarmer

Only tip I can give is to think in 3D when designing the layout. It is easy to waste space by keeping everything lowdown. If you only need 3 feet above your bed, then build it so there is only 3 feet above it. Gives lots more space under than if you had 4 foot of head room. And do you need 3 feet above you feet in bed? Probably not, so bang a row of shelves/cupboards in the roof above the lower 1/3 of the bed. And use sliders to access hard to reach spots or you will never use them.
    I have some friends in Germany who built a 4×4 Sprinter camper. The best thing they did, apparently, was to not fit a chemical toilet but to build their own composting loo. Sounds wierd, but they even have one in their little Jeep microcamper and are more than happy with it there so can’t be bad! They have a Youtube video but unfortunately only in German

A 7 part build series of the composting loo, starts with this one.

And this is a van tour of their sprinter for ideas

Premier Icon eskay

Ironically….more than his land rover ambulance.

This book is a good read about 3 bike racers chancing their arm racing in Europe in the 50s whilst living in a converted ambulance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pursuit-Stardom-Nomades-Velo-Anglais/dp/1874739412

Premier Icon db

This guy did a box conversion which I liked. The odd thing is you walk in through the shower/bathroom but it seems to work. Also love the lattice work on the units. Might be some ideas for you;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8272606@N03/albums/72157622481365724/page1

Free Member

Good luck with the build. Would love to see progress pics.

Well, if you insist 😀
    Today I made (most of) a bed frame.

With the previous (much smaller) box body on the back, it did around 17mpg. I expect that to drop a bit now that it essentially has a massive sail to drag around. I’ve only driven it to the MOT station since fitting this body so I’m not sure how much difference it’ll make.

Only tip I can give is to think in 3D when designing the layout. It is easy to waste space by keeping everything lowdown. If you only need 3 feet above your bed, then build it so there is only 3 feet above it. Gives lots more space under than if you had 4 foot of head room. And do you need 3 feet above you feet in bed? Probably not, so bang a row of shelves/cupboards in the roof above the lower 1/3 of the bed.

Wise words. I think I’ll manage some storage above the foot end of the bed, plus a small shelf/alcove at the head end for phones, books etc. Even the ‘wasted’ space in the chamfer at the back is actually a pretty massive volume, I’ll probably make that into storage for bike kit.

This guy did a box conversion which I liked. The odd thing is you walk in through the shower/bathroom but it seems to work.

There’s a certain logic there actually, no point dragging loads of mud in when you can just shower at the door.

That latticework stuff must have taken ages!

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Could you get an old spoiler/roof fairing off an HGV tractor? Might help with aero (or lack thereof).

Premier Icon alexpalacefan
    Free Member

My tip, don’t build over the ‘foot’ end of the bed. You probably won’t park on a level spot, and like a tent it’s important to have your head uppermost.
    AOF

Free Member

Funny how 5 or so weeks can change plans so drastically.

For obvious reasons, our planned trip away this year is off – we should have been heading off next week for a 3 month trip. The camper build continues though, albeit at a slightly reduced rate. Hopefully we will be able to make a big trip next year, and get some use in Scotland at the tail end of this year.

The framework is in place for the majority of the furniture/storage. This took a really, really long time, as there’s lots of this sort of thing going on:

I’m not much of a woodworker, and don’t have many woodworking tools. My brother lent me one of these though, and I immediately bought one for myself:

It’s a Shinto rasp (sort of a hacksaw/rasp hybrid), and it has been EPIC for fine tuning all the timber joints after roughing them out with hammer and chisel. Its prowess at chewing away wood is matched only by the volume of blood it can draw if you slip and catch your hand with it.

This is what the interior looks like now:

Layout wise it’s going pretty much as I planned. I haven’t done anything about over-bed storage yet – its not much of a priority as there is already a seemingly ridiculous amount of storage space.

I’ve put a couple of solar panels on, and theyre now charging the leisure batteries. Currently (get it…) working on the wiring for everything else.

While not really camper build related, I also fitted some new boots. I didn’t fancy my chances with the 30-year old tyres that were on there.

Premier Icon ElShalimo
    Free Member

Nice

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.