Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Camper van securing a bike question
  • flashes
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a small camper van so I can ride different places. My plan is to keep the bike in the back when driving but I’m trying to think of a cunning way of securing the bike when I’m sleeping in the back. It’s a high top so a roof rack would be tricky. What do you clever people do?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Big **** off 4m pragmasis chain around the front axle.

matt_outandabout

We are currently building a SWB high roof transit as a camper.

It will have storage under the bed for:
    – one bike on it’s side ‘complete’.
    or
    – two bikes front wheel off
    or
    – three bikes both wheels off.

IMO there is nothing that is perfectly secure, but we felt the security of bike inside when sleeping was vital. We discussed what you would do if you woke up to hear someone removing the bike from the rack….

intheborders
    Free Member

When we looked at campers I came to the conclusion that a ‘garage’ was the only ‘sensible’ answer – especially when balancing my OH’s 5* requirements for the actual accommodation vs me wanting to bring along a couple of expensive bikes.

In the end, we decided that £50-80k paid for a lot of hotels etc etc.

IHN

If you’re buying an already converted camper, then as above, a big chain around the suspension/axle.

If you’re going to kit/convert one yourself, it’s fairly easy with a bit of thought to accommodate a bike inside whilst you’re sleeping. We have an Amdro Angel T5 conversion, and that has a ‘boot’ where a bike can go, might be worth looking at something like that for ideas.

Jordan

Not had the new bike on the van yet but went away with the old bike on the back and even though it wouldn’t have been considered valuable by anyone but me I struggled to sleep well because of worrying about it.
    Ideally I would have it inside but OH isn’t too keen on me remodelling the van’s interior to create a garage.
    Anyway, the old rack was a bit rickety and held the bikes very low(should have really had a lighting board) so that has gone. New rack (yet to be fitted) carries the bikes much higher which in itself will make them difficult to reach and release. I plan to use an alarmed lock or two and fit that as high as possible also. And as a last resort keep a cover over the bikes in the hope that most will assume it’s just a couple of cheap familly bikes on there. And wherever possible park the van with the bikes tight up to a wall or bush.
    If that fails, the bikes are insured as long as locked to the rack with sold secure gold locks.

dknwhy

If it’s just you and you have a bed that doesn’t take up the whole van, you can take one/both wheels off and keep it inside with you (in a Dirtbag or similar). That’s what I do with my Ford Tourneo.
    If I’m on a campsite or somewhere I feel it’s really safe, I chain it outside through the towbar bracket.

scotroutes

Lock. Insurance.

mrhoppy

If it’s just the one and there’s only 2 of you then wheels off it should go upfront in the cab. It’s a ball ache but I’d not be storing on the outside.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If its of interest, I’ve recently torn out the traditional camper interior of my T5 (3/4 bed with units) and replaced it with a kombi interior with bed and heres why…

The camper interior was ace but a bit too specific and a PITA sometimes with bikes. We have a rack for the towbar but thats a PITA as well. I did a lot of solo camping/biking trips and in that format, the bike would go under the bed when pulled out with the wheels in the front/between the front seats and it was fine unless it was dirty and then the interior of the van got messed up. Plus the number of times we actually cooked on the hob in the van etc was miniscule. Only useful part was the compressor fridge. So we binned it all for…

The kombi setup. 2 seats up front, 3 in the rear and a load of space in the back in something thats no bigger front to back than a Passat. We’ve still got the pop top so sleeps 2 up there + the double seat in the back we’ve fitted with an Amdro kombi bed which acts like a 2/3 bulkhead normally (ie, takes up no space in the back unlike these kombi platform-type beds that are available) but folds out to be a double bed. Coupled with a gas bottle and a Cadac, retaining the leisure battery and associated electrics, we now have a “camper van” thats not only mega useful day to day but does everything the old setup used to do + more. When the bed is out in the back, theres loads of room for 2 bikes with front wheels off to be slid down the left side as well as loads of space under the bed.

So short answer – if you want a small van, build a kombi type setup and keep the bike inside. Otherwise buy a massive van and keep the bike inside.

duncancallum

Locks.

I reckon it’s harder to cut locks than it is to break into a van

BadlyWiredDog

If it’s just the one and there’s only 2 of you then wheels off it should go upfront in the cab. It’s a ball ache but I’d not be storing on the outside.

Yep, we’ve done that. It’s a pain, but okay for the odd night. I can also thoroughly recommend immersive chain waxing for reducing the potential for getting oil all over the place as well.

kennyp
    Free Member

We’ve camped all over Scotland with the bikes on the back of the van. On some Highland campsites the bikes were in fact just left unlocked lying beside the van. Never had a problem or even felt concerned.

I would be a bit more reticent about leaving bikes on the van unattended in a public car park for the day in certain places, but generally those scenarios are easily avoided.

Depends where you plan on camping but I’d say the vast majority of campsites are safe.

db

Wildcamping or staying on campsites?

Never had a problem leaving bikes on a bike rack on campsites. Padlocked up round towing eye or towbar.

Actually never had a problem wild camping either but it just depends on location. e.g. staying in a bike park carpark I would expect it to beknicked if its outside on a bike rack.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Locks.

This. There’s no way the bikes locked to the axle are coming off without either the key or an angle grinder. And I reckon we’d hear an angle grinder 🤭
    I’m always amused, and indeed confused, by people who prioritise the bikes over people inside a small van.

we felt the security of bike inside when sleeping was vital. We discussed what you would do if you woke up to hear someone removing the bike from the rack….

What would you do if you woke to hear someone trying to get into the van to remove the bikes? ( though I appreciate this is a degree less likely)

BillOddie

Big hecking Motorcycle chain through the rear towing eyelet on my T6.1. when we are stopped.

Seems to work OK thus far.

If they can’t be hidden in the van you need a lock that makes thieves move onto their next unsuspecting victim.

matt_outandabout

Locks.

I agree.
    However I would take ‘hidden from sight in a tin can’ over ‘on display and a hoofing lock’ any day.

On a related note, why do so many outdoory folk daub their van with stickers that may as well say ‘£10k of bikes inside, please look within mr_criminal’?

matt_outandabout

And I reckon we’d hear an angle grinder

And then do what exactly? Middle of the night, a few burly criminals with a set of power tools in hand…you stood in your under crackers trying to reason….?

mrhoppy

For all of you putting big locks through, consider how much the parts on your bike are worth and how untraceable they are. Cropping through the frame is relatively quiet and means you have all the parts to sell.

Much better to be out of sight in the van so none tries to break in than outside in full view.

Can you accomodate a small awning? I set my caravan awning up when I want to bring a bike – this is how mine is sat outside now. Granted a caravan site is safer than being in the middle of nowhere, but locked AND out of site is a bonus

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/m55Do4]2022-05-20_02-14-32[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/5c29tb]2022-05-20_02-14-58[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

chrishc777
    Free Member

I decided there was no easy I could secure them in a way I was comfortable with, especially when parked in a lay-by or remote car park

So I built a garage into my van. It’s a low roof SWB transit and fits 2 adults and 2 bikes. I made mine quite nice with cooking facilities and sink etc but it’s really as simple as a bulkhead lengthway down the van, rock n roll one side and bike storage the other

Also this:

On a related note, why do so many outdoory folk daub their van with stickers that may as well say ‘£10k of bikes inside, please look within mr_criminal’?

Indeed – I’m getting twitchy about having a bike carrier on the top of my Discovery when parked at home. Pretty much tells the local scrotes that my shed contains bikes

flashes
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. It’ll be a Fiat Doblo. I’m thinking with both wheels off it could fit under the bed (although that would be storage gone). Probably camp sites, I guess plan b would build up a SS 26er with OK parts and lock it to the axle, I’m an ex motorbiker so have some meaty chains..actually a 26er with the wheels off that would probably fit on the front seats… goes off to ponder

Jordan

^^ That’s another good option. I’m in the process of builing a couple of cheap hardtails to take on the van for general bike pootling duties.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Best folk don’t know there’s a chance inside. My new-to-me van currently is windowless, and will probably remain so. Only in British Kitesurfing membership sticker on it.
    Just working out fitting 2 bikes in and a bed…. think I have a plan in mind.

falkirk-mark

I have my bike in my van under the bed (trek rail front wheel off transverse loaded) Basically in the van all the time and any bike related gear out of sight for max security. Citroen relay mid height.

andrewh
    Free Member

I can get four under my bed.
    I’m in it just now with five bikes, the other one is taking up most of the ‘kitchen’ along with three wheels
    For the OP’s smaller van, bike on the bed when driving, on the front seats when in the bed, I’ve done that with small vans and it’s fine

colournoise

We’ve got a fully converted SWB Trafic camper.

If I’m away on my own for a bike thing (like Boltby last weekend), then with both wheels off the bike sits acrosdsws the rear of the front seats which still leaves plenty of space with the rock n roll bed extended. Wheels sit under the pop top on a little MDF platform I knocked up.

If we’re all away in the van it’s a bit more problematic as that bike space is taken up by dog bed. I use to put a partially disassembled bike (wheels, pedals and bars off) in the space under the rock n roll bed but with the current bike (RocketMAX) being so long I’d need to take the forks out too which is a faff too far. Slightly scary compromise is that the bike now stays on the rear fold down bike rack it travels on with three big chain locks intertwined and a cover over it. Caveat is that when we travel like this, Zoe insists on using accredited Camping and Caravan Club sites so potentially less exposed than wild camping, etc.

StuE
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

Buy the longest version of the Doblo (or another van) and put a bulkhead in 30-40 cm from the rear doors, and store the bike on there with the wheels off, along with your dirty clobber.

Another advantage is that bulkhead is easy to insulate, the rear doors and pillars are always a cold spot and difficult to insulate.

scc999

we either put the bikes (wheels off) across the front seats (cover the front seats in a groundsheet / tarp) or like othrs have posted a big chain through the bikes and round a bit of the van (suspension normally). Or leave them on the rack with the huge chain going through the tow bar mount.

Bottom line is that if they want them enough the they’ll get them. Make it difficult and they’ll go for an easier target. Hopefully.
    If we had ebikes than I might be even more paranoid….

spooky_b329

If you ever want to stop overnight at the road side/trail centre or heaven forbid… Wild camp, locking your bike to the exterior of the van breaks the golden rule of be ready to leave/keep your exit clear.

If uneasy you can jump in the front in your boxers and drive off (or even shove your way out if blocked in by thieves) that’s a lot more difficult with a bike chained though an alloy wheel or towing eyelet!

dudeofdoom

That’s the double edged sword of any security system tbh,My mates dad had locks on every door in the the house,I was thinking what do you do if there’s a fire.

I reckon a chain Point on the roof but tbh there must be a market for a proper secure bike/van interface.

MrSparkle

I made a bracket going through the bulkhead of my SWB Trafic with two Halfords bike hooks on so I can hang my gravel bike with front wheel off. Bars can be turned to take less room up. The front wheel hangs off one of the hooks in a padded wheel bag.

campalumpa
    Free Member

We have always used a bike rack. Locked bikes on with a not particularly roughy lock and then covered them with a bike cover. If necessary reversed up close to a hedge to make it impossible to access. Owned a van for 17 years and never had a bike stolen.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.