Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Campag/Shimano compatibility?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

10 spped Veloce, knackered back wheel, so repalcing it anyway, is there any reason I can’t fit a Shimano compatible wheel and Shimano cassette? I’ve offered a cassette up and the spacing looks the same, any reason this won’t work?

Cheers 🙂

aP
    Free Member

11 speed cassettes work equally well on Campagnolo/SRAM/Shimano.
    10speed Campagnolo is different spacing from the other two.

simondbarnes

I’ve offered a cassette up and the spacing looks the same

It’s not. If you’re do this for a customer they’re unlikely to be happy with the outcome.

woodster

You can get Campagnolo spaced cassettes with Shimano freehub fitting to solve the issue though.

belugabob
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can get Campagnolo spaced cassettes with Shimano freehub fitting to solve the issue though.

That’s just over complicating things further down the line. This guy doesn’t even know there’s such a thing as Shimano and Campag. He just bought a bike and rode it – Carbon Willier with flat pedals on it. The whole thing is trashed, chain, cassette, tyres, all the hub bearings and the spokes are pulling through the rim on the back.
    I just need a cost effective way of replacing the wheel set and drivetrain for him…..

I’ll call Mavic in the morning.
    Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated.

My standard joke is that the direct translation of ‘Campagnolo’ form it Italian to English is ‘awkward ****’ and it’s only really half a joke……

simondbarnes

Just fit an Aksium rear. They’re available as single wheels unlike cheap Miche or Campag wheels which only seem to be available in pairs.

Pickers

Erm, why not fit a Campag compatible rear wheel? 10sp Campag cassette?

Digger90
    Free Member

I got it to work perfectly fine. YMMV.

10spd Campag Veloce shifters, Xenon rear derailleur, Shimano 12-28 10spd 105 rear cassette.

Set it perfectly on the 5th cog and you’ll find the shifting is fine. There is approx 1mm total difference in width between Campag and Shimano 10spd cassettes – therefore you are looking at approx 0.5mm difference at top and bottom ends. It’s not noticeable. In fact, my Campag/Shimano mix shifts smoother, quieter and better than the Shimano 105 shifters did.

simondbarnes

Just because it may be possible to make it work doesn’t make it good practice for a shop to do it for a paying customer 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Agreed. I wouldn’t chance it with a customer. Do it right or don’t do it at all

Erm, why not fit a Campag compatible rear wheel? 10sp Campag cassette?

Well I will now but the intital thinking was that Shimano wheels have more choice and less cost.

Just fit an Aksium rear.

It’s a nice bike and it makes sense to have a matching pair of wheels. Also, the front wheel bearings are shot and having had a second look the rim is fairly worn too.
    Again, do it right or don’t do it at all. 🙂

Thanks again everyone.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Campag/Shimano compatibility?’ is closed to new replies.