Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Camp Sites in Northern Spain
  • Wolfdog
    Free Member

Thinking of a trip to Northern spain next year after a week in the alps. Can anyone recommend some camp spots close to the beach. Biking would be nice as well but after a week in Morzine the kids will deserve the beach thing.

mogrim

Can't recommend a campsite, but Cantabria is wonderful with beautiful beaches, mountains etc.

highclimber
    Free Member

Wild camping is pretty much accepted in Northern spain unless the landowner specifically says no camping via a sign. We wild camped for a week in some hay bails Last year!

Mackem

Honddaribia, right at the doorstep of some good riding. Nice town too.

Mundaka, on the Gernika estuary. Again, good biking and nice town. More for surfers though. (the longest left-break in world, whatever that means)

Sopelana, near the cliffs, there's a good singletrack ride next to i. (it's my local ride). There's a metro for Bilbao too.

Plentzia, bit further along from Sopelana, nicer town and the beach is excellent.

Inland, Potes, there's a few and you've got the Picos de Europa to ride in.

Gijon, basic, does the job, it's a nice town too. Right on the cliff tops.

That's just the ones i've been to.

As for the wild caming, reckon the poster was lucky, as it's definitely not accepted. (police rapping on tent teling you to move on type of thing)

oh, and you can camp in my garden if you want.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hondarribia rocks. The camp sites are:

http://www.campingjaizkibel.com/en_index.htm
    Closer to town. Bit of a walk still but not too far.

http://www.campingseuskadi.com/faro/presentacion_0.html
    Further from town. Has a few restaurants round there, some are dodgy but some look OK.

Hondarribia is cool. Great nightlife, nice bars and restaurants. Right on the sea and has a regular 5 minute ferry running to Hendaye (France) which has a 2km sandy beach.

You are also within a short ride / drive of some great biking (ahem, I had to say that didn't I!!!).

Having said that Mackem's garden would be a good option, apart from the crazy dog!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I'm just back from Hondaribbia and it is indeed pretty sweet. Stayed at a posh b+b though. Cheers Doug, a great weeks riding.

Mugboo

Guys we are heading down to the outlaws nr Moraira outside Alicante.

Dover – Calais – Central Massif – passing East of Andorra and then past Gerona – Barcelona – Valencia

So any biking/camping hotspots on the way and perhaps more importantly anywhere nr Moraira?

montylikesbeer

Rio Ara

Stayed at the above site , its superb

shredder
    Free Member

Stayed at a nice one at Cadaqués nice little port/village, with the added bonus that one of Salvador Dali's houses is there. Now a museam and well worth a vist as mad as a mad thing from mad land !!

Mackem

Hey Doug, that's not a nice thing to say about Dawn.

doug_basqueMTB.com

😯

Wolfdog
    Free Member

wow guys that looks great. Really appreciate the offer Mackem and Doug your rides look excellent, might even be a chance of convincing the guys to go there rather than Morzine.

I'll keep hold of this post and be in touch.

Thanks again for the help

Mackem

Doug has been shy about advertising himself, so i'll do it.

http://www.basquemtb.com

certainly if you've been to Morzine, give it a go, some damn good riding in the Basque country and Northern Spain in general.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks for that Mackem! There are a pile of recent pics up on our flickr site as well if you want a look and just give me a shout if I give you any other information!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Camp Sites in Northern Spain’ is closed to new replies.