Cameroooons lost the plot, electic outages and flooding

Home Forum Chat Forum Cameroooons lost the plot, electic outages and flooding

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Cameroooons lost the plot, electic outages and flooding
  • project

Doesnt the stupid man realise his government privatised the electric supply local suppliers and also national grid, who cut costs and failed to provide investment in staff or equipment.

Then we have the EA, again starved of funds so no decent flood defences,large scale flooding in north wales a few weeks ago has now been forgotten.

And now we have the same man telling an upset lady whos house has been flooded out(one of many) he will tell the council to get skips and bin lorries to take away her sodden household goods, probably the same councils he has cut funding to.

Finally what if any help is he offering, to supply food hot water and sleeping arrangements for those householders that have been flooded and are not insured due to their own financial stringencies, or they just didnt renew in time.

I believe even the largest telescope in the world will not be able to detect which planet cameroooon is currently living on.

Kuco

EA has been given lots of funding but its for Capital works (new buildings that looks good for the media) but have had their budget cut for maintenance so the existing flood defences and maintenance of rivers and brooks get severely affected. Come next year 1300 EA staff will be out of work ๐Ÿ™

trail_rat

Floodplains appear to have appeared overnight listening to some of the radio storys….unfortunantly people only remember their life times. The 100 year flood might not have happened in that time so they see it as a safe place to buy a house.

b r

Come next year 1300 EA staff will be out of work

Based on my experience of a number of public sector depts. this will probably mean that more gets done, not less.

Pigface

Yes b r of course it does ๐Ÿ™„

project

Come next year 1300 EA staff will be out of work

Based on my experience of a number of public sector depts. this will probably mean that more gets done, not less

depending on which staff get sacked, if its just a desk jockey who just attends work each day , then no problem but if they sack the man who drives the jcb cleaning out the ditches, because they can save more cash by sacking him and selling off his jcb,then major problems later on as the watr cant drain or be stored in those ditches, you then have to hoire the machinery and a man to drive it, who probably has no locl knowledge of local flooding issues.

trail_rat

They have people who clean ditches ?

My neighbours look at me like i have 3 heads when i clean the one i live next too.

Kuco

Yes we clean brooks and dykes or what ever they are called else where that run into rivers. But if its just some farmers ditch or highways ditch then no we don’t.

Mr_Mojo

I love a good conservative bashing, well done Project ๐Ÿ™„

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

They’ll probably privatise the met office next and that’ll really **** the weather up.

trail_rat

It wasnt a dig at those employed to do it – it ws more that folk expect someone else to clean it.no idea who owns the ditch but if it backs up we will all get wet feet.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

There’s going to be a whole lot of people who won’t be able to insure their homes next year.

b r

It wasnt a dig at those employed to do it – it ws more that folk expect someone else to clean it.no idea who owns the ditch but if it backs up we will all get wet feet.

Yep, a bit like I mow the verge between us and my folks (about 100m on a country back-road), and my neighbours have mentioned previously how they reckon it’s the councils job.

project

There’s going to be a whole lot of people who won’t be able to insure their homes next year.

But then how will they keep within the rules of their mortgage to keep the home insured, and what happens if they want to move, nobody will buy or offer the new owners a mortgage.

b r

Yes b r of course it does

Purely through experience of working at The Benefits Agency, National Insurance, DEFRA and the NHS on/off over the last 25 years.

robdob

Pity Project hasn’t got a single clue about anything he’s talking about, might have made more sense then.

project

Perhaps you could explain your problem then.

Kuco

It’s a shame some others don’t care for the dykes like you trail_rat than just using them as dumping grounds.

robdob

I don’t have a problem.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Funnily enough, the in laws neighbour (aged 82) was just telling us that her granny lived in Yalding, and every winter they moved upstairs to avoid the flooding.

I’m no fan of CMD but not everything is his/Maggies fault

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

I find it hard to blame a politician for when fallen trees bring down electricity lines (most of the problems in Surrey) or when you have higher than expected levels of rainfall on saturated land.

Looking at the hard work that people put in to cut down fallen trees and restore power on Christmas Day and yesterday! I would have though the more appropriate reaction would be to thank those who sacrificed their holidays.

Premier Icon totalshell
    Subscriber

folks retiring to the nice house in the country from london town have to learn that it isnt london town and things can take a little longer to get done and there isnt a hospital on every street corner nor if they want cheap power bills will a maintenance man be waiting at the end of the street if the lights go out.. you have no right to power its a product bought and sold and we pay relatively nowt for warmth comfort and light..

cameroon didnt tell these folks what to cut nor not to answer phones he said do more with less and if we try we can all manage that ( except for govt agencys/employees who seem to believe the jobs were created for thier benifit not thier customers..

Kuco

Yea total shell of course my job was only created for only me and no one else ๐Ÿ™„

Pigface

I had a guy calling me a **** last week because his garden was underwater, sorry mate I don’t have control over the weather, I didn’t make you buy a house on a very flashy water course. It is unbelievable sometimes how stupid members of the public are.

project

We had a lot of sea flooding on a new retail development at new brighton, a few weeks ago, the locals came out in force.cleared all the rubbish ,helped each other, even worked in the morrisons throwing huge amounts of stock out and washing down shelves all for free.

Yet multi national companies cant answer the phones and need to bring staff in form other companies to fix the cables and tidy up.

From experience the EA do a great job, forecasting flooding ,objecting to homes on flood plains, clearing blockages on ditches, usually caused by flytipping scum etc,yet their funds are being cut.

Kuco

Yep, been their Pigface. Not nice to have when you have been sent their to see if you can help.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Flooding and gales have always happened. We have just developed the mistaken belief that we have a divine right to live wherever we want and have uninterrupted power, despite all Natures attempts to show otherwise.

I worked with a woman who bought a house on a new development on the banks of the Dearne,she was most put out after 6 months when it flooded.The address? She lived in The Watermeadows,doh.

Junkyard

I also think its a tad odd that
    1. Cameron/ PM gets blamed for weather as thm notes
    2. We expect our PM to turn up as if their presence helps in any practical way whatsoever

There may be some merit to criticism re defences and cuts but the main problem is abnormal weather / once in a century weather and houses built in daft places
    neither of these seem easy to lay on the door of Dave

allthepies

junkyard wrote:

I also think its a tad odd that
    1. Cameron/ PM gets blamed for weather as thm notes
    2. We expect our PM to turn up as if their presence helps in any practical way whatsoever
    There may be some merit to criticism re defences and cuts but the main problem is abnormal weather / once in a century weather and houses built in daft places
    neither of these seem easy to lay on the door of Dave

Quoting for posterity.

๐Ÿ˜‰

project

2 estates built locally, both next to existing housing estates, new homes need to built 3 foot higher, so steps or ramps to front doors,so easy to do but more costly for the builders.Also scotish power our power provodor aree cutting down any large trees near their power lines, also same for network rail cutting back tres along the railway lines and the ones who compllain most are the neighbours,who want the trees but dont want thenm to smash posts supporting the power cables.

RichPenny

Yet multi national companies cant answer the phones and need to bring staff in form other companies to fix the cables and tidy up.

You have to be reasonable – all of these companies will be staffing for normal levels of activity, otherwise your bill would be significantly higher.

The thing that amuses me is the anger directed at the power companies for not knowing exactly when things will be fixed – “yes, I know exactly how long the problem I haven’t investigated yet, requiring equipment I won’t have immediate access to, is going to take” said no engineer ever.

Premier Icon schnor
    Subscriber

Loving the council-bashing early on in the report: –

He asked what she needed now and urged her to “get on to the council”, but she replied that “they all decided to go on holiday”.

Indeed, everyone at the council got bored sitting around our crystal ball waiting to save your grandmother’s walnut-veneer cabinet.

“the council said if you need sandbags, get your own”

*gasp* council in ‘just because you pay council tax doesn’t make us your personal skivvy’ shocker.

Saying that, we had a minor flood last year and it was horrid, so she and everyone else has my sympathies. BTW I cleared out the roadside ditches properly (bloomin’ council) and bought / filled sand bags myself if it happens again.

And yes when it rains I personally blame Camoron (do you see what I did there?).

[edit] fixed link

project

Perhaps they should tell their customers that.

The same customers who are getting charged higher charges for electric, and recieving a poorer service.

Its not difficult to have a continuous loop running on afreephone number to tell customers what theyre doing.

kevj

Sorry, but I disagree with the sentiment in the op’s post.

Flood defenses are funded on a cost and risk basis. To provide adequate defenses for a one in a 100 year storm event is far more expensive than a lesser storm. Land take is also greater and nimbys complain about the aesthetics of them.

The balance is the cost to rectify over the cost to protect. Yes, government have the final say, but it is the EA/ civil engineers and cost experts that advise them.

Personally, I bought a house on a hill.

Jamie

David Cameron killed my kitten.*

*In a puddle**

**that he caused***

***HE IS POSEIDON!

RichPenny

GIF required for the above ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sancho

love this government bashing crap

it was just the same under the last government, but keep it up its all quite amusing trying to blame someone

These one in a hundred years storms seem to occur every couple of years these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Cameroooons lost the plot, electic outages and flooding’ is closed to new replies.