Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Camera for jersey pocket
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I am looking for a cheap(ish) camera to take on rides to shove in my jersey pocket. As such it should stand a little humidity, not be huge but be decent quality. Anyone got any recommendations?

AlexSimon

I don’t know your budget, but I remember reading a lot of favourable reviews of the Panasonic FT3 ‘tough’ compact.

There’s a whole host of these ‘tough’ compacts – started by Olympus I think.
    Worth exploring.

atlaz
    Free Member

Quick morning bump

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve got a Canon Ixus 80IS that has spent the better part of the last decade rattling about in my rucksack, back pockets etc. It’s been left outside in torrential rain (full of water but dried out with no problems), dropped in mud, and generally mistreated. And it still takes perfect photos. And has that cool-looking battered patina reminiscent of an old Zippo.

You can probably pick one up off ebay for a little bit more than ****-all.

turboferret

Not super cheap, but I’ve just bought a Panasonic FT4 compact.

Great fun taking photos underwater etc, and it will spend the next week in a jersey pocket riding around the Himalayas 🙂

Cheers, Rich

flowerpower
    Free Member

Seems to be a ‘love em or hate em’ thing but I love my Olympus Tough. The one I have was more expensive, but they start about £100 (still not exactly cheap). The newer ones have improved alot, I bought one about 4 years ago and wasn’t overly impressed, but read enough good stuff about the new ones and bought one, it’s much faster and sharper.
    One of the main things I wanted was to be able to ‘drop’ it – taking jackets on and off, throwing my bag on the ground, dumping everything in the back of the car on the way home etc as well as waterproof.
    Has the added advantage that I am happy to just let the kids use it while we are away too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Olympus Tough gets another vote from me. Have just bought the super spanky top end one, and am most impressed, but as above, there are much cheaper options in the range. Tough as old boots, but make sure you keep the seals clean if you use it underwater, as they can go off a bit and then your camera stops working while you’re over a beautiful coral reef crowded with the most beautiful fish… 😳

But, overall, Olympus Mju Tough FTW!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Canon Ixus 80 for me too. Tiny, robust quality picture snapper.

Bet you get one secondhand for £40.

sparksmcguff

The OH got an Olympus Tough as she is a little careless with phones/cameras and the kids like to play with it. Good images and it’s tough (been dropped, left outside, used in the rain, all sorts of abuse).

Cougar

I’m a big fan of the IXUS. My IXUS 40 from the late Jurassic is still going strong, albeit the battery’s on its last legs now. Whether it’d satisfy any rugged / weatherproof requirements is another matter, but an old one is probably ‘disposable’ money by now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Camera for jersey pocket’ is closed to new replies.