Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Camera for beginner
  • anagallis_arvensis

My son decided at aged 6 he wants to be a wildlife photographer, he’s been using various points and shoot camera and has spent 3 years saving up. He’s now 9 (for those not good at maths) and has about £300, we can top up more if needed. His grandpa is a a good photographer and is taking him shopping but might be a bit out of touch so I thought I’d check with the stw hive mind. I know nothing about cameras so go easy!

tlr

9 years old and £300 is a tough ask for a wildlife photography set up!

Is he interested in insects? in which case a lot of half-decent compact and bridge cameras have a macro mode which would help, so look out for one of those.

Otherwise, for birds and other UK wildlife keep an eye out for something like a secondhand Nikon P900 bridge. Good zoom, can be used manually, but without the faff and huge cost of separate lenses.

I’ve been photographing wildlife for a while now, both UK and abroad, and I love it, but the cost of the kit makes your eyes water!

https://www.instagram.com/tim_russon/

Depending how tech savvy he is then it will be worth trying editing software of some sort if he gets interested – all pictures benefit from a bit of an edit and crop.

Best of luck to him!

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for something with a good macro. You won’t get a pro level zoom and zoom pictures are hard but you will get a decent macro. That gives great opportunities for bugs and plants. I used to love take mega close ups with my Panasonic Lumix LX3. Not sure what the latest model is but it’s a good camera for learning as there are lots of manual options but can do auto and point and shoot. Its also quite compact

loum
    Free Member

That one above looks great.

Alternative option could be

Olympus tough tg 6

Reduced from 450 to 310 on Amazon at the mo

Not as good wildlife camera but pretty good as a nine year old proof take anywhere

anagallis_arvensis

Not thinking a wildlife set up just yet, but something he can learn the basics on before investing in a 5foot lens!!

ampthill

It depends what he wants.

I’ll talk about nikon dslrs a they are what I know. But the same applies to Canon and even Olympus mirrorless.

Prices have dropped like a stone on used gear. My Nikon D90 has a resale value of about £100. But it works perfectly and takes great pictures.

So I’d go used. Maybe a Nikon D3300 at £174

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d3300/

That leaves about £125 for a lens

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/

The afp 70 300 VR dx is only just out of budget and would give a genuinely capable wildlife set up (but the body might need a firmware update for that lens)

This sort of explains why you should buy that camera and lens

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

ajaj
    Free Member

I’d also recommend second hand. If it’s about learning then a DSLR. You can get an EOS 20d/30d/400d for £50-£80 and a 70-300 lens for £110. That 70-300 is slow but he’s 9 and plenty get good results with it.

I’m trying to remember what age my Dad “lent” me his spare SLR, I think about 10. There were rules about not changing lenses without supervision (to avoid mirror damage). Budget a few pounds for spare lens caps and a protection filter.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Lumix FZ200 or the latest incarnation of it.
    Leica lens that maintains f2.8 at 24x mag plus
    Loads of other features. Yes it’s a bridge but he’s nine.

Dickyboy

@tlr & anyone else interested, my neices partners work from t’other side of the world.

https://instagram.com/timhackwood?igshid=1oggytfqmi7k8

anagallis_arvensis

Thanks some useful.info to look at.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Has no one else marvelled at the fact that a 6 year old decided on something and saved up THREE HUNDRED QUID diligently to pursue that goal??

That’s awesome for a start, he’s gonna go far.

Creg

What about something from Olympus?

Can get a second hand EM1 or EM5 for circa £200 then the Olympus 14-150 lens for £160. Would give him a fairly lightweight setup and a focal range of 28-300mm in one lens.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Recommend what you have! I have this, it’s a few years old now but is so flexible and have a fantastic zoom function, sure you’ll be able to find a S/h one for your Son because mine cost £250 new a few years back, and you have to take the battery out to charge it so it’s a bit “old tech” now but the quality of the images is what you are after isn’t it.

Edit: just looked on eBay and you can buy them for £100 s/h fully refurbished & warranty

Cannon Power Shot SX500 IS

derek_starship
    Free Member

That’s a first world problem right there!
    Having to take the battery OUT of the camera for charging.
    Pfft 😁

lunge

I’d be looking at something mirrorless and second hand for that. I’ve got a Canon M50 which is great but most of the big makes have a similar model in their lineup. If grandad likes Nikon for instance then get a Nikon as he can borrow his lenses and he can learn how to use it from him.

Long lenses are expensive, a standard kit lens will get him started, maybe a prime lens next for some macro stuff.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I know eh!
    But it does seem “old skool” taking the battery out 🤪

dropoff

Just interested, how did your son get on with his shopping trip ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Camera for beginner’ is closed to new replies.