Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Camera bag for SLR
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Looking for some recommendations for a camera bag for an SLR, a couple of lenses and stuff. Mostly for keeping my kit in and occasional cycling use. Reasonably priced would be nice too.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Lowepro everytime for me.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Tamrac every time for me. 😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers guys, what are you using? Lowepro have a couple of interesting bags, the sport 100aw and 200aw anyone use these?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Lowepro for me too. Centon is good too.

legend
    Free Member

Lowepro everytime for me.

ditto

ericemel
    Free Member

CHB

That crumpler is a bargain!

kayak23

Crumpler ones are quite nice. My GF has one like the one above and its very nice.
    If you are after security though I’d avoid it as It is quite easily accessible in a crowd for instance. Also, the camera sits right on the bottom at the back so for wet cycling you’ll need some kind of splash cover. Also it doesn’t have chest straps so isn’t ideal in that sense.

I have a Bigger Lowepro one, but its a bit too big for my needs really so I need to find a happy medium too.
    Generally I just chuck my SLR into a drybag and then into my Dakine Nomad.

.duncan
    Free Member

I own a lowepro vertex, rover AW II and Photosport 200AW.

The vertex is what i store most of my gear in and take out on big all day shoots, the rover AW 2 is a nice walkabout bag, a lot more discrete and you can ride in it. I now have the photosport for carrying a camera while i ride and for that i can’t recommend it enough.

The vertex however is too cumbersome for riding, its just too large and although it has plenty of straps it doesn’t sit comfortably.

So.. for your use maybe something like the rover? It fits a amateur body + 3 lenses and a flash in the bottom with a top compartment big enough for regular riding supplies. I’ve also used a camelback bladder in one too however there is no specific routing for one so i had to adapt things a bit. I also found that when i wanted to do a long ride with a camera the padding supplied with the rover fitted nicely in my dakine bag and created a good safety wrap around a camera + lens.

If you don’t have gear and want to do longer rides with camera gear and want the best comfort in doing so then get something a little more active wear specific and go for a photosport.

duntstick
    Free Member

Just made my own, because I couldn’t find what I wanted.

Cheap canvas ‘messenger’ style bag with nylon (water resistant) lining which I’ve lined with foam padding and made padded dividers, from an old black fleece, cut and sewed to the shape I needed

Looks reasonably slim, still fits D90, 18-55, 55-200, couple of primes, flash and bits and pieces.

Doesn’t look like a camera bag, which is the main thing. Feel less obviously a geek when I take it out

duntstick
    Free Member

cuneyt
    Free Member

I’d recommend a model from Tamrac’s Expedition series:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=tamrac+expedition&sprefix=tamrac+exp

I have the small one, 5273, and am pretty happy with it. It has place for a large camera (sony alpha 700), one small (18-70mm) and one large lense (70-300mm), a flash, batteries etc. I can also fix a jobi gorillapod with the stripes on the front side.

As it is not very large (at least the 5273), it is also easy and comfortable to ride with.

freeagent
    Free Member

for Cycling i’d go Lowepro – however I also have a Crumpler bag which I love…

markrtw
    Free Member

Don’t know if it of interest, but I have an immaculate Crumpler Muffin Top half Photo bag for sale currently (ebay Item number: 220922891898) as I have sold my DSLR. The bottom half of the bag is for the photographic equipment and the top half is general rucksack/day bag. It is a really good bag that I spent a while researching before I got it and I’m only selling as I have no further use for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Camera bag for SLR’ is closed to new replies.