Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Camelbak, Giro, Blackburn, Bell, Assault rifles and the NRA
  • km79
    Free Member

Are those who now won’t purchase these brands due to their parent company funding the NRA going to examine the rest of their spending to ensure they themselves are not contibuting by other means?

If not then what’s the **** point? To score some likes or kudos on social media?

steezysix
    Free Member

Why do you care? People are free to spend, or not spend their money as they see fit. If you want to keep buying Giro helmets, that’s your choice, other people have taken a decision not to. It’s no different to avoiding Amazon for their tax policy, or being vegan for ethical reasons, ie it is up to the individual concerned.

nickc

@km79, you keep banging the same drum, it continues to speak volumes about your own morals.

km79
    Free Member

What does it say about my own morals then?

ransos
    Free Member

And on the same day there’ll be a debate without some clown trying to sound intellectual by using big words which they don’t really understand.

Which words did you not understand? I’ll try and make it simpler for you if I can.

ransos
    Free Member

If not then what’s the **** point? To score some likes or kudos on social media?

The point is that perfect is not the enemy of good.

Klunk
    Free Member
    shermer75
    Free Member

For all the people who are saying that this sort of thing doesn’t work, here it is working:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43173753

shermer75
    Free Member

Are those who now won’t purchase these brands due to their parent company funding the NRA going to examine the rest of their spending to ensure they themselves are not contibuting by other means?

Yeah I really hate it when people try to change things for the greater good. What total arseholes.

Andy

Really like Giro, Blackburn and Camelbak, but disagree with the whole NRA influence in US politics so yes I will be voting with my money. Think the writing is finally on the wall for the NRA in the US, albeit its a big wall and the writing is very tiny. Sadly it will take a few more incidents before things change.

Consumers forcing political action like this and the Stop Funding Hate campaign seems at last a compensation for utterly useless politicians who seem incapable of managing big corp manipulation.

Will be interesting to see how long it is before competitive equipment manufacturers start to positively identify in marketing where they are acting ethically and their policies in funding extreme organisations is stated clearly.

P-Jay
    Free Member

For all the people who are saying that this sort of thing doesn’t work, here it is working:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43173753

Sometimes when you think the human race is on a relentless march towards self-destruction something like this can smack you right in the face and remind you most people are lovely – it’s just the arseholes tend to speak loudest.

SaxonRider

I agree with AlexSimon. I have so many Camelbak products around the house now, I can’t imagine avoiding them. Even my nice ‘university alumni’ travel mug is made by camelback.

Drac

Some big names now pulling out too P-Jay.

jimmy

just seen this from a bike shop we stayed with in Oregon. It seems to be happening.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157207169799867&id=75064389866

batfink
    Free Member

It’s a start.

Not sure how long it will last, or what the impact (if any) will be, but whats the harm in trying?  My next hydration pack will have to be something other than a Camelbak?  I think I can manage that.

As all the pro-gun people keep saying, this is a complex and multi-faceted problem which won’t be fixed with a single legislative change.  Calling out the ghouls at the NRA, and those that help make them successful, is a small piece of the solution.

The unfortunately named Dick’s Sporting Goods, although with questionable motivation, is at least taking steps in the right direction:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/dicks-major-gun-retailer-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles.html

Edward Stack, the 63-year-old chief executive of Dick’s, whose father founded the store in 1948, is deliberately steering his company directly into the storm.

“When we saw what happened in Parkland, we were so disturbed and upset,” Mr. Stack said in an interview Tuesday evening. “We love these kids and their rallying cry, ‘Enough is enough.’ It got to us.”

He added, “We’re going to take a stand and step up and tell people our view and, hopefully, bring people along into the conversation.

”Mr. Stack said the retailer had begun scouring its purchase records shortly after the identity of the suspected Parkland killer, Nikolas Cruz, became known. The company soon discovered that it had legally sold a gun to Mr. Cruz in November, though it was not the type used in the school shooting.

“But it came to us that we could have been a part of this story,” Mr. Stack said. “We said, ‘We don’t want to be a part of this any longer.’”<

Mr. Stack said he and his company expected a mixed response to its new policy.

“The whole hunting business is an important part of our business, and we know there is going to be backlash on this,” Mr. Stack said. “But we’re willing to accept that.”

He added, “If the kids in Parkland are being brave enough to stand up and do this, we can be brave enough to stand up with them.”

theotherjonv

Sad thing is that some americans are so **** up they are responding to this by going out to buy Vista kit specifically because of the tie in.

Mixed feelings, don’t like the tie in myself and will also be avoiding their stuff (which i generally do anyway – I’m too much of a cheapskate to buy good stuff) but if it were to be successful enough that it impacts on innocent workers that would be a pity.  But i don’t know how to hurt the company and its major shareholders without needing to cause that impact lower down.

leffeboy

That Washington Post article is hopeful.  Looks like REI are responding to pressure from individuals 🙂

“REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month,” REI said in a statement. “In the last few days, we’ve seen such action from companies like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership. … This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.”

And not just REI dropping Vista either (well not really dropping, just on hold).

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak, Giro, Blackburn, Bell, Assault rifles and the NRA’ is closed to new replies.