Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Camelbak Cleaning
  • number18
    Free Member

Thursday evening started well, I made the decision to finish work on time in order to get round my local Huddersfield hills (at the expense of an early start this morning). I had only gone about 500m when I noticed the tube coming from my Camelbak reservoir has what must be mould growing inside, near the mouthpiece. God knows how long it’s been there. I ride often but rarely clean it out.

Is it too late for poor old reservoir and should I just replace it, or is it worth salvaging? If so, what’s the best way to clean it? I’ve seen official Camelbak kits for cleaning them, are they the best option?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Last night truly was the start of night riding. I set off at 1815 and needed lights on by 1900. What a poor do.

christof
    Free Member

I’d say try cleaning it with a cheap bottle brush. Remove hose from bladder and bite valve from hose. Soak in some hot water and Milton tablets for a couple of hours.
    When I’m not using mine, I keep it in the freezer to prevent mould ect growing and a Milton soak every month or so or when it has been kept out the freezer.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

We have 3 in the house, and all I have ever done for the past many years has been every so often fill it with Milton and leave in a sink with Milton fluid. Rinse then they live in the freezer. Most of the time its just a rinse out then straight to freezer.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had ones that went really manky, I used the camelbak tablets and gave it a real good scrub, came up fine.

Not tried milton but do keep it in the freezer.

bellefied
    Free Member

Its hard getting mould out of camelbaks. You can kill it using Milton fluid or freezing it in freezer, but it hangs around. There is a scrubbing brush on a long thin rod you can use to get into the tube, but when mine get to that state I either bin the lot or replace the tube with a brand new one.

pickle
    Free Member

great tip regards the freezer! never thought of that one 😀

number18
    Free Member

Thanks guys, really useful tips. Until it’s in better than current state it won’t be getting used so I’ll be off to get some Milton fluid tomorrow.

stumpy01

Milton tablets (or generic supermarket equivalent in a bowl of hot water every so often, but normally mine just get sloshed out with hot water and whacked in the freezer.

I did clean a tube a while back quite successfully using pipe cleaners on the end of a wire coat hanger. Was quite disturbing what came out!

pickle
    Free Member

i use the chemist own brand baby bottle sterilising tablets for mine. they cost about £1.50 for a box of 100 or so.

MadBillMcMad

tip for cleaning the tube.

Feed some string down it (using an old spoke), tie a tube sized knot in the string & pull through.

number18
    Free Member

Thanks again for the tips.

I should add that I’m not against night riding per se, just prefer daylight!

kedmun
    Free Member

Milton & freezer works a treat for me – I’ve had 12 great years with the same reservoir and tube and never had any issues. I would also recommend paying for the Camelbak cleaning kit as the tube cleaner works so well – I’ve tried messing around with pipe cleaners etc. but their stuff lasts for so long and they are a great company with regards to customer service I’m happy to pay for a posh pipe cleaner!

adi66
    Free Member

I use one of these….. Worth the money for the hose cleaner alone 🙂

Bargain cleaning kit £5.99!!!

chip
    Free Member

I fill with hot water and add two tablespoons of bleach.
    Drain some through the tube them leave for half an hour or so before rinsing.

I have read of people using sterident although it leaves the bladder minty apparently.

number18
    Free Member

I borrowed someone’s Camelbak cleaning kit and it got most of the grime out.

It seems as though the proper bits of kit are sometimes the best thing for the job (see my other post about noisy brakes!).

However, I still plan to heed the advice on here of using milton fluid.

righog
    Free Member

I have been through this recently, I eventually salvaged the old bladder with the use of a cleaning kit bleach and milton. The freezer is a good idea, but i kept forgetting.

I bought 2 spares from sports direct ( karrimor ones) for a tenner each, so at least i can get out riding if it happens again.

Top tip i got from a similar thread was washing the camelback pack in the washer, this worked very well ( without the bladder of course)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mould won’t appear if you give it a good flush n clean after every use then bung it in the fridge/freezer.

However. I gave mine a good clean last weekend, in the sink. I had my laptop about 3 feet away from the draining board but the tube kinda sprung out of the sink & sprayed water all over the keyboard, which I didn’t notice for 5 minutes. Thank the lord for insurance.

y0eddy
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Camelbak hanger for the pass 3 months with no problems.

I have too much funky smelling foods to contemplate using the freezer, but sounds like a most excellent idea.

cp

Funnily enough, I’ve just discovered the revelation that is a bladder cleaning kit… 8 quid from decathlon, made cleaning gop from my tube a doddle.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hydration-bladder-cleaning-kit-id_5935596.html

rj
    Free Member

It’s been 2 years since I’ve cleaned mine.

I am currently not dead.

oldnick

My flat started to smell a bit funny, turned out the old camelbak bladder was fermenting.
    I’ve left it outside for now, adds a touch of class to the place.

damascus
    Free Member

From the camel back website.

RESERVOIR & TUBE CLEANING
    The best way to care for your reservoir is to clean and dry it after every use, especially if you fill the reservoir with anything other than water. However, if a reservoir has not been cleaned after every use, and mold or discoloration develops:
    Use hot water and a CamelBak Cleaning Tablet. (Or use 2 tablespoons of baking soda or bleach instead of CamelBak Cleaning Tab.) Mix the solution inside your reservoir and elevate the reservoir above the tube and Big Bite Valve. Pinch the bite valve, allowing the solution to flow into the drink tube and fill the bite valve.
    Let the reservoir and cleaning solution sit in the reservoir and drink tube for about 30 minutes.
    Wash the reservoir with hot water and mild soap. Be sure to completely rinse away the cleaning solution in the reservoir and drink tube before using again. You can also use CamelBak brushes from our Cleaning Kit to scrub your reservoir and drink tube. Brushes are the best way to ensure you are scrubbing all of the areas of the reservoir clean.
    Once the reservoir is clean, be sure to air dry overnight so no moisture is trapped inside, which can cause mold to grow.
    These steps will make your reservoir safe for use. If there are still spots left behind, these are permanent mold stains that may not be removable. However, your reservoir is still safe and usable after you’ve cleaned it.

matther01
    Free Member

Milton (also sucking it into the tube), then freezer.

Under no circumstances use toilet cleaner instead of bleach…as one indiotic rider did i met at cannock ( he was just about spewing).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak Cleaning’ is closed to new replies.