• This topic has 86 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Cam belt failed: Nearest the Bull Quiz time
  • Harry_the_Spider

Cam belt failed last night. How much for a rebuild?

Closest guess wins the holiday that we were driving to.

I’ll open the bidding with £1,000.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Depends on speed and revs of engine when it goes… sometimes you get lucky.
    Other times its £1365

squirrelking
    Free Member

Can we get a clue what we’re bidding on? Going to be a hell of a difference between a nearly new car and a 10yo banger.

perchypanther
    Free Member

£830 + VAT

votchy
    Free Member

Dealer or independant price?

matt_outandabout

1760+vat

(Write off)

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m going write off…

slackboy

assuming its some sort of VW/Skoda/Audi – about £4k

oldnpastit

What make of car? Not all engines are designed to destroy themselves when this happens.

My MX5 would be the price of a new belt and labour, although I have never needed to verify this.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I had a belt go on a Rover 414. I sold the car for £150.

Shitter about the belt and your lost holibobs.
    It’s a savings raider job. I’ll guess £1150 plus VAT.

perchypanther
    Free Member

2010 1.8 tdi S-max?

I used to have one of those but punted it when it started making some strange noises.

wrightyson
    Free Member

When I bought this current bangernomics stop gap get the daughter driving motor off a dealer mate I was given two options on price, one was with a new belt and waterpump the other was without. I took the with option.

Harry_the_Spider

SMax 1.8 TDCi

Doing about 2200rpm when it went.

Has to be fixed. Can’t afford a new one for a couple of years.

Independent garage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

600 quid for a bare engine and head from a breaker

600 to swap the parts over and fit it

600 to diagnose why the ECU won’t speak to the immobiliser.

bikebouy
    Free Member

£750+vat

And a week before it’s in the garage.

What a shit time to go, hope you manage to salvage something out of the time you have with your family.

🥴🤒

JAG

SMax 1.8 TDCi

Diesel (19+ to 1 compression ratio) – hence almost all valves will be destroyed. Valve seats, Valve guides and engine bores damaged potentially. Rebuild cost £2000 – £3000

Replacement engine – about the same.

OP; Good Luck

tthew

Seems cruel to guess, because its going to be expensive. ☹️ Is the holiday really screwed? That’d be worse than the knackered car for me.

tjagain

HOliday? ditch the car back home and hire a car. Holidays are important

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hire car ? Travel insurance ?

Harry_the_Spider

It was a long weekend away on the south coast staying with friends. Have already rescheduled.

RAC didn’t cover themselves in glory. Over an hour on hold and 5 hours stood by the side of the motorway with the family. Topography was such that we couldn’t escape anywhere.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If it’s an interference engine then it’s probably going to cost a lot 😕
    Sorry to hear about your holiday.

Our old XC90 decided to dump a load of oil out of the core plug 3 days before driving 3 hours to the airport for a big holiday. Lucky escape as if it had gone on the way there we’d have lost the holiday.

Sold the car after that and now warranty the replacement every year. Costs me £1k/year but covers everything plus a replacement car.

sobriety
    Free Member

Ooof, I’m going to or for £1801, just to be different to TR.

But it depends on how cheap the garage are going to be on parts, and how badly smashed the engine is.

When I did this to a renault megane, we decided that the dented pistons would be “fine” and just stuffed a recon top end on. Then ignored the new knock from the bottom end. For another 30k miles before it got traded in.

Harry_the_Spider

…aslo I had two new tyres on it (fitted yesterday, done 80 miles) and had just replaced the pads and discs to get it through the MOT on Tuesday, so it had already cost me £350 this week.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If it’s an interference engine then it’s probably going to cost a lot 😕

Fortunantly for fuel economy.and emmisions it’s not the 1990s any more.

Ohc and variable valve timing are common place with multiple things wishing to occupy the combustion chamber at the same time to minimise dead space.

duncancallum

Set of valves guides and followers. Head set skim cam belt kit with out knowing Labour rates 1345 plus vat

tjagain

wiggles
    Free Member

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Was belt overdue replacement?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Engine from breakers costing a fortune anyway. Followed a few months later by “turbo failed: nearest the bull quiz time” when the oil lines in the replacement engine turn out to be full of crap.

ampthill

I think this will be painful. A friend had this on landrover and it was a full set of valves.

£2000 assuming you can use the old head

My sympathies.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had an old Vauxall 1.9 cdti and it had rockers which were designed to break to prevent an engine rebuild being necessary I think. Not sure how well they’d work tho. Same engine also used in Fiat, ALfas and Saab amongst others i think.

Harry_the_Spider

Additional info… When it went we heard the belt strip its teeth, but there was no metal-to-metal sound from the engine. Note sure if this is significant.

jeffl

May mean the valves are ok. Had an old Corsa diesel where the garage replaced the cam belt. Snapped within a week and could hear the valves hitting the pistons. Fortunately the garage replaced it all, no problems.

big_scot_nanny

That is a complete shitter, sorry HTS! I going for £1500 inc VAT.

Been in similar scenarios myself driving through Switzerland en route to Bordeaux in boiling hot summer, when the car (bangernomics 9-5 estate) developed a major coolant leak, then basically everything major decided to shit itself at the same time (the brain, the turbo, exhaust, the **** air con). 3 kids under 6 and stressed wife.

That was fun. Not.

Feel. Your. Pain.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

North of £2500 I suspect, maybe a child’s kidney?

Harry_the_Spider

Just found a rather smart Galaxy locally for £12,600. Wife says no. As it stands the Smax is worthless. Fix it and it will be worth more than the cost of the repair.

It has to be fixed. Bugger, I did like this Galaxy.

Daffy

Fix the S-Max and trade it against the Galaxy.

Galaxy £12.6k. Say S-max costs £2.5k to repair, but is worth £6k trade in. You’d only be into the Galaxy for £9k not £12.6k

RustyNissanPrairie

If the car Tdci is anything like the van Tdci then the valves & pistons will be okay but it will have damaged the cam carrier which IIRC is line bored with the head so it’s still expensive. I reckon just under £2k if new parts otherwise few hundred for used cam carrier fitted and get rid pdq

jamesoz

Realistically, recon head plus labour and sundries £1800? Worst case, a valve damaged a piston/bore. Recon engine time.

andybrad

4k +

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Cam belt failed: Nearest the Bull Quiz time’ is closed to new replies.