Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Callouses caused by kettlebells – anyone else get them?
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Doing my head at the moment, got a couple at the moment that have torn and there giving me too much pain to carry on using them.

Any one else suffer from them?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

A few on each hand just below the fingers from the bar. Get some gloves or eventually they will harden up.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

mtfu

they’ll harden and stop bothering you

alternatively, improve your grip strength; better grip, less slip – less slip, fewer callouses.

BoardinBob

Not from kettlebells, but deadlifts give me awful callouses

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’d dare say my grip strength is half-decent. They’ve hardened and ripped which is the problem at the minute.

I’ll have a word with the kettlebell fella at the gym.

I think once i’ve mastered snatches, they problem will go away…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Bob – do u use chalk for the deadlifts?

clubber
    Free Member

As an ex-rower where blisters were part and parcel, just mtfu…

Norwegian formula hand cream was good though if you did get them to stop them drying out and cracking.

Also, for rowing again, gripping too tight would make them worse – effectively you separate the callous from the flesh underneath and that’s where you get the blister.

footflaps

I have callouses from Olympic lifts, as long as you do the exercise regularly they’re ok. It’s if you have a break and start again that it hurts…

organic355
    Free Member

cant you just wear gloves? but make sure they match your handbag.

Or MTFU?

zilog6128

Not done much kettlebell work but used to get callouses from lifting weights (as above deadlift probably being the main culprit). Improved my grip – holding the bar with fingers rather than palm, if that makes sense – and they have all but disappeared. I also use chalk which helps a lot with grip.

I can’t see any reason to use gloves whilst weight lifting and would assume the same would follow with kettlebells.

nedrapier

Not kettle bells or weights, but similar force on the fingers: If I’ve not been climbing for a while (months) and I get too excited on the overhangs too soon, the skin can’t handle the pulling and I get blisters on my fingers which lift and expose raw skin. ow. tape helps.

Once I’ve been back at it for a bit, the sin toughens up and it ain’t no thang.

theflatboy
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member

Once you’ve mastered snatches the impact on the palms of your hands definitely lessens.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member

Not sure I follow your logic there pro?

MrGrim

Agree with the MTFU approach.

I used to get blisters when doing 4 workouts a week and still do occasionally. Best way is to get your hands used to it. I did try gloves for a bit, but found that grip would worsen and the rubbing would cause blisters between the fingers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Once you’ve mastered snatches the impact on the palms of your hands definitely lessens.

*Applauds!*

theotherjonv

Incorrect technique with snatches can lead to nasty chafing, I’ve even heard of tears being caused by over vigorous effort.

Smooth and steady, gets the job done.

miketually
    Free Member

I misread that last word as lesbians.

footflaps

Once you’ve mastered Lesbians you’ll find snatches come to you quite easily…..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Callouses caused by kettlebells – anyone else get them?’ is closed to new replies.