Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Callis Wood?
  • Mugboo

Just looking at next weeks ride. We are going to zig zag up past Callis Wood from the Stubbing Wharfe.

Is there a fun descent in there to be had in on the way back down?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I did one once in the dark which headed over to the Jack Bridge climb somewhere… never found it since. Lots of cheeky looking fun lines marked as footpaths I’ve noticed on the way up before. Never come down there though so never had a chance to try them.

Mugboo

We are planning on doing a ride you gave me last year.

Up to Stoooodley Pike, over and round the res then down towards Hey Head Green/Mankinholes then back to London Road.

Looking for an interesting descent back to the pub..?

Mugboo

Anybody ?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Getting my woods mixed up. Ah yes, the Callis Wood zig zag BW… The ride I gave you – was it the one that went Stoodley Pike > Warland Drain > Gaddings Dam > down to the pub at Lumbutts etc?

Anyway, if you’re pootling back along the London Road (might be an option to climb back up to the Pike on the old packhorse trail and then descend off the Pike the way you’ll have climbed up – never done that but would be a good additional descent) then you might want to have a look at this. As you enter the woods, go left, sharp right at the bottom and then stay straight, taking the left fork and you’ll pop out near the railway station. Or… there is a left turn after the sharp right hander in the woods which will take you straight to the Stubbing Wharf (nearly).

Don’t say I sent you though 😉

nbt

You;re risking a ban from the mods there for revealing Calderdale Secrets in an open forum. You wouldn’t catch me recommending a look at Holmcoat bridge, on the return to Stubbing wharf

damn.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Forgot about that one. Thats more ‘legit’. At Mankinholes, drop down from the London Rd into the village and then pick up the road/BW east towards Hebden. Drops past a house, through a gate through a stream. When on the other side… options, options. Go high, take something to the left. Or go low and keep an eye open for some interesting stuff on the right. Or just do the ‘proper’ thing and pootle down to the road 😉

Mugboo

That’s the route DBW

Thanks lads.

I’m chewing and swallowing this thread as we speak!

Ssssh, you haven’t seen me… 8)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Absorb the info and press the button Mugboo…

elaineanne
    Free Member

that button doesnt work…lol :mrgreen:

Mugboo

I spent a hour or three at the Fox & Goose beer festival on Sunday. That worked, erased my memory, no problem!

Mugboo

Took the High Rd, found some interesting stuff. Went home happy.

Thanks again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Callis Wood?’ is closed to new replies.