Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Calling wood burning stove installationists
  • v8ninety

If I were to replace a wood burner for an ever so slightly bigger stove that slotted straight into the same place, virtually same dimensions, same flue size etc, would I need a new HETAS/building regs certificate? Not messing with the chimney/flue at all, just old one off, new one on? Seems a very straightforward job. Old one just isn’t quite big enough for the room when it’s proper cold out.

johndoh
    Free Member

It would depend on the output. Most stoves are rated at 5kw (after which more work is needed such as installing air bricks if none present). You will probably find that a new stove of the same size as an older one will kick out much more heat anyway – you don’t need to go bigger to get hotter.

v8ninety

I need to go bigger to fit proper size logs in; honestly the old stove is actually not that old but more like a scale model of a stove. Fitted before we moved in.

I want to go from Stovax Stockton 3 (it really is teeny), to Stovax Stockton 5, for clarity. Both sub 5kw, 5” flue stoves.

neilnevill
    Free Member

theoretically yes i think you need bc to sign off.

neilnevill
    Free Member

stockton 5 here, like it

johndoh
    Free Member

Look at the Parkray Aspect 4 – no bigger than the Stockton 4 but 1kw higher output. I agree, the Stockton 3 is teenie (and only a 3.4kw output :-O )

Edit, you said 5. Bad me.

johndoh
    Free Member

But from my understanding of the regs, you wouldn’t need it HETAS sign off as you aren’t going over 5kw.

neilnevill
    Free Member

you need building control sign off whatever the size (or self cert by a hetas registered installer). there’s more too it than the size, such as the hearth construction and dimensions, even small stoves need the right hearth. its simple stuff though

v8ninety

Thanks all. To clarify; this isn’t a fresh install; it’s an exchange of one small stove for a slightly larger, but still sub 5kw stove. Same flue diameter. The HETAS approved installation of the previous stove has exactly the same requirements as for the slightly bigger stove. From that point of view, nothing is changing. Do I really need a new installation certificate?

josh145
    Free Member

Yes you should sign it off properly

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

To clarify; this isn’t a fresh install; it’s an exchange of one small stove for a slightly larger, but still sub 5kw stove.

But as above, and I’m sure you must get this as it’s not rocket surgery, your previous sign off was for a Stovax 3, and now you’re putting in a completely different stove (stovax 5) so you now require a new sign off cert. for that different stove. My sign off (from HETAS approved installer) is in my electric meter box and details the specific stove I have in my hearth (Westfire 35), so if I was putting in a completely different stove no matter what it’s output, design, style, name, manufacturer etc etc, it’s not the specific stove I have a cert. for in my house, so new sign off required.

I guess if you were putting in an absolute straight swap, then you could (get away with it) overlook it, but shouldn’t and you aren’t.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Compare it to installing a new gas boiler, same make and model, same place etc, a new one still needs a gas Safe engineer to install it. It’s the same I’m afraid, the install is new, so new BC sign off required.

v8ninety

Okay, ta. Frustrating as it’s RIDICULOUSLY simple when compared to a gas boiler though.

olly2097
    Free Member

Bought my house with a log burner. No mention of HETAS or regs from anyone at any point.

Moved it to the other fireplace after opening up lounge/dining room. No flue, nothing!

I added a 6 inch double skin flue myself, is it really an issue?

weeksy

I added a 6 inch double skin flue myself, is it really an issue?

Only if it kills you.

geoffj

Speak to your home insurer. Mine wasn’t interested in any certification. If insurers aren’t bothered, and you are confident the install is safe then it might only be an issue when/if you come to sell. Even then, I suspect you could get indemnity similar to that sold to cover missing planning consents and or other building control documentation.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Calling wood burning stove installationists’ is closed to new replies.