Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Calling STW male chefs
  • Bunnyhop

When concocting your culinary delights, or even just barbecuing a simple sausage do/would you consider wearing an apron?
    You know something grrrr masculine (not in pink), maybe a pocket in a nice striped fabric?
    It may save getting a hot greasy splatter in an embarassing area.

leffeboy

Yes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Garry_Lager

Categorically no.

aP
    Free Member

How would you get a hot greasy splatter?
    I live in the 2nd decade of the 21st century and not 1973.

johnellison
    Free Member

No. Tuck a clean tea-towel into your waste band. Aprons are for public appearances only – i.e. if you intend to go into the dining area to speak to punters. And even then you should wear a jacket over the top, so that the “bib” bit isn’t on show. Same with headgear – bandana/doo-rag/skull cap in the kitchen, toque in public.

Bunnyhop

surroundedbyhills – I have a small business making various things, amongst them women’s and Children’s aprons, just researching if there is a market for a ‘big boy’s’ one.
    Mine will be similar to your picture.

Edit: Hot greasy splatter can happen to even the best of us 40 years on 😉

jwr

I’m tremendously messy in the kitchen, so yes – I do wear one.

binners

As a male, there are certain rules we have to follow in the kitchen.

It is my moral duty to completely cover both myself and every working surface in whatever it is I’m cooking,. And also to use every dish and pan in the house, which will then be casually discarded in the sink, half full, or caked in baked on ingredients

I did actually buy Mrs Binners this one for christmas though….

😆

chvck
    Free Member

If I’m using my dads BBQ which seems to give out ridiculous amounts of heat then yes as it gets pretty painful around the important bits. Otherwise, no.

IHN

Hey, the site of me in an apron has been the cause of many a hot greasy splatter.

pictonroad

Yep, blue stripy one, rides up at the back though, what knots for aprons thread?

mogrim

Definitely, stops getting your clothes covered in grease stains.

Usually use on from Ikea: decent heavy fabric, black with white stripes. No pink. Looks like this one, but with a couple of loops for hanging tea towels off:

bruneep

Black and white checks for me, I own 2

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Yep, blue stripy one, rides up at the back though, what knots for aprons thread?

I think you need something more robust than a thread – cotton tape…oh I see sorry 😀

MartynS

I would wear an apron, but just an apron, oh and possibly a big tall white chefs hat, but nothing else…
    Do you wanna come round for dinner…..;-)

chakaping
    Free Member

Got a couple but I don’t wear them.

Ask yourself this though: Who’s going to be buying the aprons for men? Probably their other halves – who will have no idea whether their BF/hubby will wear it or not.

IHN

I’d just wear the hat. Not necessarily on my head 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

Only use one now and then when I’m planning on making a right mess
    I own 2 both from local brewery’s they were both gifts

mogrim

Who’s going to be buying the aprons for men?

Kitchen geeks like me. Decent knives, kitchen power tools, etc. etc.

grum
    Free Member

As a male, there are certain rules we have to follow in the kitchen.
    It is my moral duty to completely cover both myself and every working surface in whatever it is I’m cooking,. And also to use every dish and pan in the house, which will then be casually discarded in the sink, half full, or caked in baked on ingredients

+1

I mean, an apron seems a good idea, but I’m not sure I can see myself wearing one.

DrP

I’d like one with a pair of boobies on it.
    Or some tits.

I’m quite the ornithologist and would be keen to combine that hobby, with that of cooking….

DrP

IHN

DrP, how about a bird with a pair of large breasts?

portlyone

I don’t. However, I’m told they are like dropper posts, once you use one you can’t imagine how you coped without them.

binners

Or a really fine pair of the aforementioned baps….

IHN

To be fair, if you wore an apron your baps wouldn’t be floury 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I only ever wear a tea towel over my shoulder. And I normally put it down without thinking and it is then inevitably always equidistantly the farthest away from the position I am in the kitchen when I most need it.

binners

…..and where’s the fun in that? 😀

Bunnyhop

Nettles, Binners and MartynS you have all made me lol.

So the conclusion of my survey is:
    8 for a yes
    4 for a no.
    Several were just being very rude 🙂

So I may go ahead and make a ‘Go Faster Stripes’ apron, with holder for tea towel, ‘D’ rings on the shoulder strap (to fit a large head) and a pocket for extra protection when the grease starts to spit.

scaredypants

with holder for tea towel

Surely any man will require several toolbelt-style hangers for loads of unneccessary implements ?

and write “Coq, ou vin ?” on the front of Binners’ one

Bunnyhop

😆

JoeG
    Free Member

I would only maybe consider wearing one of these:
    [img]http://www.parktool.com/uploads/thumbnails/uploads/products/cfcbc061b887c21580ddb050f72f2cd98bde4a95_430x390.jpg[/img]

bigG
    Free Member

I cook naked, with a tea towel strategically wedged between my butt cheeks. No need to worry about stains on my clothing and it teaches you not to cook with your pans too hot and spitting I can tell you!

Cougar

I wear one if I’m doing anything that involves flour (quiet at the back) as I tend to get covered in the stuff. In my defence, it’s my grandad’s old one that he used to use for sawing blocks of wood in half(*), so I’m fairly sure my man-cred remains intact.

(* – Well, technically he used to use a saw for that, not an apron, but he wore the apron whilst he was doing it. Sheesh, some people; you’re not funny you know.)

JoeG
    Free Member

BigG –

tommytowtruck

Definitely for baking. My friend made me one, it’s a lovely dark brown colour and very manly indeed.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Plain white or blue stripy please BH. And can you do a neck loop that doesn’t irritate on hot days? And capable of a 60 wash because it will get mucky.

corroded
    Free Member

I wear one occasionally but I’ve never used the pocket. Plus it would need to be plain and heavy-duty.

ste_t
    Free Member

I wear one whenever I cook, I’m just messy. I bought the girlfriend a nice apron to wear for baking. She doesn’t cook a lot as it is usually awful and I gave up pretending to enjoy eating it a long time ago.

mogrim

So I may go ahead and make a ‘Go Faster Stripes’ apron, with holder for tea towel, ‘D’ rings on the shoulder strap (to fit a large head) and a pocket for extra protection when the grease starts to spit.

You can adjust the size of the shoulder straps on the Ikea one I’ve got – the straps run in to a sleeve from rib height up to the neck, over the top, and back down again. It’s all one, continuous strap. No ‘D’ ring, and you can adjust the size as you like. Does mean you need a separate loop to hang it up, though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Calling STW male chefs’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts