• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Calling physios (and sufferers): fascia pain, I think
  • Bez

I know, go see the doctor. But IME they’re not much good with this sort of thing, so here goes.

Does anyone know a good way to go about tackling what I believe is fascia pain?

I’ll describe it thus: it’s like having a mesh made from very fine razor wire below your skin. As the flesh moves it distorts and makes for a sheet of sharp but fine-grained bits of pain. Touch it and it feels like the exposed flesh of road rash; press it or rub it and it feels like it’s being torn open. Sometimes it’s mild, sometimes more acute, as if the razor wire is bigger; on this morning’s ride it was particularly bad and felt like having a deep open laceration.

A physio mate of mine suggested that it might be fascia pain: the nerves get caught on stuff in the fascia and get tugged as the material either side of it slide against the fascia. From a skim read of some stuff it sounds very plausible as the cause, but it’s far from a reliable diagnosis.

Has anyone suffered this and fixed it? Has anyone fixed it in others? Does anyone even know what would be the best pain relief to manage it?

Cheers 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It seems to me that a common theme in all these problems is some sort of percussive massage, or rolling on one of those trigger point rollers that hurt a lot, and then let the body ‘heal itself’.

Not that I am saying that this will work for you…

Bez

Apparently I neglected to mention that this is in my hip. Not sure how I forgot to include that. Doh.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Where abouts on the hip, hip is a big area!

Ie is it deep inside or the surface?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

My stab in the dark would be trochanteric bursitis.

zero-cool
    Free Member

How long has it been going on for? I got shingles last winter and the effected patches felt like that for a few weeks before the rash developed.

Just to throw in a differential diagnosis there

Bez

It’s a little below the skin. Definitely doesn’t sound like trochanteric bursitis. Been going on for 7 years now.

kjrogers

I don’t really have enough detail to be sure but I’m going to throw this suggestion in. Your symptoms have been ongoing to long to be muscular etc and your description of your pain sounds like allodynia. Nerve pain caused by by stimulus that doesn’t normally cause pain.

I’m taking a guess that your pain is over the outside of your thigh as there is a nerve there that can become entraped at the front of the pelvis.

It would be called Meralgia Paraesthetica.
    Wiki Page

If i’m right and given the length of time of your symptoms I would be suggesting seeing your GP for a trial of a nerve orientated painkiller such as amitriptyline or gabapentin. (both are antidepressents but in a significantly smaller dose work well to decrease nerve pain)

Hope this helps.

Bez

Interesting. From a quick skim it looks like the normal affected area is the thigh rather than the hip, but it certainly sounds plausible. And given that I had a similar thing in my hand after some pressure on the ulnar nerve, it maybe sounds a little more likely. Another avenue, anyway. Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Calling physios (and sufferers): fascia pain, I think’ is closed to new replies.