Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Calling out for some Engineers….
  • boltonjon

Looking for engineers – preferably with aerospace experience but not critical – all experience considered

Details can be seen in the following link, but if you are interested, send me an email – link in profile

Cheers

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?JobId=60344348

ahwiles
    Free Member

…A Degree/HND/HNC in an engineering discipline is desirable, but not a prerequisite…

you’re not looking for engineers, you’re looking for technicians.

legspin
    Free Member

you’re not looking for engineers, you’re looking for technicians

Here we go!!! tosspot graduates alert

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

That link re-directs me to the website’s front page, not a specific advert. Perhaps my current aerospace employer is doing some clever website content filtering?!

Is the job based in Bolton, John? 😉

wwaswas

That link re-directs me to the website’s front page, not a specific advert

works here.

Maybe you’ve triggered an internal alert. Boss on his way over?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

legspin – Member

you’re not looking for engineers, you’re looking for technicians

Here we go!!! tosspot graduates alert

Nice one, buy yourself a pint and send me the bill 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

me? a tosspot graduate? a tosspot graduate tired of excessive, inappropriate use of the word ‘engineer’?

yes, it’s a fair cop.

‘doctors’ have medical degrees, lawyers have legal degrees, architects have architectural degrees, engineers have engineering degrees, etc.

Or can i assume sirs would accept a dentist who hadn’t quite got around to attending and completing a university degree course?

legspin
    Free Member

*yawns*

LHS
    Free Member

Spot on. You can not call yourself an Engineer unless you have a degree from an accredited University. Anyone else is a technician at best.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My washing machine was fixed by an engineer. It said so on his van.

igm

Or can i assume sirs would accept a dentist who hadn’t quite got around to attending and completing a university degree course?

ahwiles has you bang to rights

honeybadgerx

You can not call yourself an Engineer unless you have a degree from an accredited University

You can, (sadly) Engineer is not a protected title.

That link re-directs me to the website’s front page, not a specific advert. Perhaps my current aerospace employer is doing some clever website content filtering?!

Skip to 6.55….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCVzH7cLeC8[/video]

Honeybadgerx CEng MICE

bencooper
    Free Member

‘doctors’ have medical degrees, lawyers have legal degrees, architects have architectural degrees, engineers have engineering degrees, etc.

Cool, that makes me an astrophysicist 😉

In my experience, an engineer is anyone who knows how to fix a bike better than I do, they just need my help for some reason.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

You can make yourself an engineer with a slightly abused body, a bucket of experience, some self tapping screws and whatever passes for a paper qualification these days.

boltonjon

Ideally, we’d like a graduate engineer but we are also very open to meeting non graduate engineers with frontline aerospace experience who could take to the role

Based in Wokingham in Berkshire

I have huge respect for HND/HNC from 10 years ago – but sadly, like a BEng, it has lost some of its credibility

Thanks for all the very helpful comments above 🙂

daveh
    Free Member

Shouldn’t worry about it, the salary offered for that location will see to that…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Engineer is not a protected title

THIS you can get upset if you want especially if you ever need an industrial heating engineer* 😉

*they even have their own trade body FWIW

ChrisHeath

engineers have engineering degrees

You know you can become a Chartered Engineer without an engineering degree, right?

dunsapie
    Free Member

I have worked with a number of Chartered Engineers who have HNDs, perhaps they should be Chartered Technicians then.

ChrisHeath

Some of the best engineers I’ve worked with haven’t been degree qualified. And some of the worst have had degrees from the best universities.

Funny old world, eh?

honeybadgerx

Some of the best engineers I’ve worked with haven’t been degree qualified. And some of the worst have had degrees from the best universities.

Indeed, those who focus on job titles/qualifications above who has the most relevant experience to the task at hand tend to struggle to knit a happy project team together.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Part of my job is too familiarise graduates on the company program with some of the more er heritage bits of our technology still in use in our organisation. Some of them are very good, willing to listen and ask questions and others are shocking in their I know everything attitude and won’t listen to even basic safety info.

One guy I took out for a few days was definately in the latter and I advised him wrap up warm and bring a flask of hot drink as we would be working outside all day in a cold valley bottom in January with no direct sunlight. He looked at me like I’d got three heads and sure enough he turned up the next day in jeans, t-shirt and a high vis jacket, no gloves, hat or warm socks! We started onsite at 0800 and by 1500hrs with his teeth chattering badly I told him to go home.

Conversely I had a female graduate who after two days was “flying” my radio test set as well as I could and helped lug all my test gear from the van to the site and back.

All must take the Ming “soldering iron test”, where I plug in the soldering iron leave it for 10 minutes to warm up and then ask them to pass it to me. If they pick it up by the hot bit then they are destined for Project Management and if the don’t burn themselves then they’ll end up in a technical role somewhere. Oh and if I really don’t like them I give them the solder reel with a bit of binding wire wound onto it and watch them get really frustrated when it wont melt!

Of course I am asking questions like “You have used a soldering iron before?” and “Didn’t they teach you anything practical at that university?”

Oh I’m a qualified Technician Engineer.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If they pick it up by the hot bit then they are destined for Project Management

😀

Having an engineering degree no more makes you an engineer than having an art degree makes you an artist.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You don’t need a degree to become a chartered Engineer but you do have to have completed an accredited academic course and/or sufficient real experience proper engineering experience in lieu to qualify, or a mix of the two. You also have to appear in front of a panel to justify yourself and demonstrate you’ve met the criteria, and I don’t mean changing brake pads on cars or fixing central heating systems. A proper engineer is not a mechanic/technician etc. they may be if the job demands but that’s only part of it. it’s a very different job and requires very different skills. Even knocking stuff up in your shed doesn’t make you an engineer.

A surgeon uses his hands and tools to do his job, so does a first aider armed with their first aid kit. The two are not the same – I know which one I’d choose to take my appendix out.

Unfortunately it’s only in this country where engineering is not recognised as a formal and distinct profession.

hilldodger
    Free Member

An engineer

Another engineer

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m a User Experience Engineer, does that count?

Anyone’s job title stretch the definition further?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A train driver is not an engineer. In name maybe, but that’s it. Brunel was an engineer, Henry Royce was an engineer, r j Mitchell was an engineer. Your local Kwik Fit Fitter is not

IanMunro
    Free Member

Maybe a test on repairing common devices should be part of the qualification. If you can’t fix a washing machine, no Engineer title for you. Just a thought.

🙂

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/opinion/comment/protected-status-titles-and-a-broken-coffee-machine/1015043.article

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Money’s shit, especially for that part of the world.

Fat-boy-fat

I’ll put my usual response to this tired debate; you can call me anything you like, heck you can call Mildred, as long as you pay me in line with my skills and experience, it’s all good.

Chartered engineer here.

hilldodger
    Free Member

A train driver is not an engineer. In name maybe, but that’s it. Brunel was an engineer, Henry Royce was an engineer, r j Mitchell was an engineer. Your local Kwik Fit Fitter is not

As a job title ‘Engineer’ in the UK has the same status as ‘Nutritionist’ anyone may call themselves either, in fact I think I’ll set up as a ‘Nutritional Engineer’ 😛

peterfile
    Free Member

A surgeon uses his hands and tools to do his job, so does a first aider armed with their first aid kit. The two are not the same – I know which one I’d choose to take my appendix out.

Funny that you pic the one job where upon reaching such lofty heights within your profession, you drop the designation that is otherwise given to practitioners of medicine and go back to plain old Joe Bloggs 🙂

I wonder whether they get in a tizz if someone uses the wrong title?

Re engineer. As far as the public are concerned, if you fix or make stuff that we can’t eat or drink then you’e an engineer. We don’t care what kind, so long as you fix our coffee machine/bridge/TV/road

bearnecessities

I was a sky engineer once.

A somewhat misleading job title.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I wonder whether they get in a tizz if someone uses the wrong title?

Yes, they do! When I was a postdoc working in NHS the medics got tizzy if I called myself Dr and the surgeons if I called myself Mr 😕

MrOvershoot

monkeyfudger – Member

That’s what I thought, the Process Technicians who work for me earn more & that’s in the NW.

And not one of them even has a BTech. Even I only have an HND (30 years ago!)

footflaps

Possibly the only sensible comment so far, our lab technicians are on more than that.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

It’s not really an engineering role though is it, it’s just a repairs liaison role skim-reading/para-phrasing, and reading between the lines it’s more of a junior role.

slowoldman

My washing machine was fixed by an engineer. It said so on his van.

Ah now there’s the thing. In Germany if you are an engineer you are invited in to meet the daughter whereas in England you are invited in to fix the washing machine.

Arguably “Engineer” should be a term reserved for those of chartered status.

Yrs sincrly, Slowoldman BSc CEng MICE. 😉

PS I have in the past worked with some extremely capable diploma qualified technicians who would knock spots off degree/chartered engineers.

jools182
    Free Member

Mrovershoot- got any jobs going 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Calling out for some Engineers….’ is closed to new replies.