Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Calling Inverness plumbers
  • dustypumpkins

I’m trying to get hold of a plumber to investigate a suspected partially blocked mains water pipe at work. All I’ve had so far is “too busy” or “don’t do commercial work”.

Any plumbers on here interested or know someone who might be? We’re part of a UK based international chain and you will get paid!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Whats the actual problem? Low water pressure in the building?

Perhaps try Scottish Water (Or whatever they’re called)?

dustypumpkins

We did have a plumber out who established it’s not a pressure issue (pressure at mains was tested) so it’s either a partially closed valve somewhere in the system or a blockage. We do get a lot of biofilm so my guess is that there’s a really clarty pipe somewhere. It’s not a particularly large premises but fairly old so the system might not be the simplest.

As you might suspect, the office wants several quotes before deciding who to go with. Typical.

bigyan
    Free Member

As you might suspect, the office wants several quotes before deciding who to go with.

So any plumbers who have other work lined up will not want to “waste” their time coming to quote, also sounds like job that could be difficult to quote accurately for.

Big companies can also be a pain with their procurement/payment processes, and payment times.

dustypumpkins

So any plumbers who have other work lined up will not want to “waste” their time coming to quote

Aye, I appreciate this. Unfortunately the office doesn’t, they insist on at least 3 quotes and then have a moan when we receive an invoice for the time spent trying to pluck a quote out of the air. I’ve tried throwing H&S implications at them in order to just get on with it but no luck.

nealglover
    Free Member

they insist on at least 3 quotes and then have a moan when we receive an invoice for the time spent trying to pluck a quote out of the air.

so it’s either a partially closed valve somewhere in the system or a blockage……It’s not a particularly large premises but fairly old so the system might not be the simplest.

Unfortunatly these two things, mean that you will certainly struggle to find anyone (decent) who is interested.

To do a quote that’s anywhere near accurate, you would basically need to solve the issue. Otherwise it’s a complete guess and if it’s more expensive than your complete guess once you get into it, you are into arguments before you get paid.

Its why I very rarely got involved in commercial jobs, unless it was a straight refit, or a new build/install. Problem solving was always “no thanks”

doesnt help your situation I know, but in my experience you will need to offer a competent professional a day/half day rate so he can spend some time investigating.

They may solve the issue in that time, or there may be a quote at the end of it if the work is more involved.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Calling Inverness plumbers’ is closed to new replies.