Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Calling Essex Cyclists: Braintree District
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

(Apologies: Not sure if this should be in the ‘Bike’ forum, but it’s certainly not about mountainbiking).

I have long known that this is the place to come for no-nonsense, boots-on-the-ground information from locals with first-hand knowledge who are keen to help…

Is there anyone here who is very familiar with the roads and lanes of Braintree District (and, more specifically, what they are like for cycling on?)

overview map of braintree district

footflaps

We ride the North West bit of that area loads, excellent road riding, lots of quiet B roads and a good sprinkling of cycling friendly cafes. Not been South of Braintree though, but I expect much of the same. Road NE (south of Bury) are good too…..

unclezaskar
    Free Member

this is my backyard so can give some input

roady wise loads of great lanes and other fairly traffic free roads especially cross country between Sudbury and Finchingfield (which is picture postcard Essex village)

I also use the Flitch Way between Rayne and Bishops Stortford for gravel riding, as well as lots of Byways that you can link together

great Cafes for stopping at in the area – Rayne old station cafe, Blue Egg at Bardfield, great little cafe on the airfield at Andrewsfield, Blake End centre, etc

Forgot to add…going south some nice lanes out past Witham and all the way down to the coast at Maldon/Heybridge area as well

only downside of the whole area is there aint much in the way of hills…

Regards – U.z.

littlerob

I’m just off that map, but I concur with the above:

* The roads are flat(ish) but relatively safe (so long as you stay off the obvious major ones)

* There are *lots* of good coffee stops (add to the list The Snug at High Easter, Owl Tea Rooms in Terling, The Tea rooms in Greenstead Green, Debden Barns)

* There’s good provision for off-roading along bridleways/byways if that’s your thing (it is mine).

There are some good clubs around as well. e.g. North Essex Velo, who organise TTs through out the summer from Rayne.

LR

PJM1974
    Free Member

I grew up not far from there, Braintree was reputed to be the STD capital of the east of England, so provided that you’re just up for cycling then you should be fine.

Sudbury is surprisingly hilly, there are some scenic road routes between Sudbury and Wormingford. There’s also plenty of village pubs with a decent ale selection.

Enjoy!

footflaps

The Tea rooms in Greenstead Green

We struck that one off as you can no longer take bikes through, so you have to leave them out of sight, which with a £7k road bike isn’t going to happen….

littlerob

@footflaps Oh dear, that’s a shame. Shows how often I get out there.

footflaps

Blue Egg at Bardfield

Rode there today, in the rain, for a most excellent full English breakfast for lunch!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mJ1j8n]Lunch[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Loads of other groups there as well, which is pretty good for a very damp Wednesday…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Calling Essex Cyclists: Braintree District’ is closed to new replies.