Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Calling East Devon MTBrs
  • woodsa
    Free Member

I created a thread last year about moving to the area and searching out potential new riding location as I’d been offered a job in Exeter.

Well I made it to the West! And I was hoping to meet up with some local bikey brethren.

I’ve had an explore of Woodbury, which I found I can ride to from the doorstep and some Haldon Blue/off-piste and an unfulfilling ride (GPX from Komoot) on Dartmoor.

Are there any lads or lasses that could wheel me round Woodbury.. or any other local spots please?

I feel like a child again, asking ‘will somebody be my friend and come out and play on their bikes with me’.

Cheers

IainGillam
    Free Member

I don’t know masses but happy to show you the bits I know.

ajantom

Yep, and I’m now on holiday for 6 1/2 weeks, so pretty much free most days or evenings for a ride.

I’m in Ottery, where are you based?

I know the area pretty well, especially Woodbury and Haldon (I used to live in Kennford, and still pop over to ride the off piste stuff a couple of times a month), so happy to share my local knowledge.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Don’t forget, East Hill, Mutters Moor and joining those two with Woodbury. What sort of riding are you after?

oikeith

@woodsa where did you end up moving too? was it Exmouth or Teignmouth?

I’m in Exmouth, out with a broken hand at the moment though, but should be back on the bike in 4 – 6 weeks I hope. Happy to meet up and pedal around showing you what I know across Woodbury and Haldon etc

woodsa
    Free Member

So we based ourselves in Exmouth, the beach (for fishing and the occasional small surf) and having Woodbury behind us was the deciding factor. I’ve found I can ride up through St John’s Rd and onto the Common in 10 mins.

I ride mostly single track/enduro type features. Used to ride a lot of downhill but swapped the rig for an all rounder now.

I did find a GPX loop that incorporated East Hill and Muttors Moor, from Knobblies bike shop but it looked like quite a bit of road, perhaps it was gravel bike loop? I’d be ecstatic if I could extend a Woodbury ride over that way!

@oikeith
    take it easy on the hand. I broke a Metacarpal bone several years ago and had it plated. It took a good while to get back to gripping handle bars off road. Playing guitar was a great addition to the Physio.

oikeith

Yeah my recovery for movement and strength has been going at a snails pace which is very annoying, hanging back on booking any riding things now for rest of year or Morzine next summer.

Woodybury is good, Yettington got me through lock down till it was ploughed and brashed, then it came back and it was good again till it got ploughed and brashes again, not sure if its come back from the one done this year, it usually does, might use my downtime to go clear some brash as some of the singletracks were quite fun actually.

It sounds like we roughly ride the same things, so keen to hook up when I’m back at it.

East hill had or has (there was some felling) some good tracks and if you’ve pedalled that way you might as well come back via mutters moor. The joining pieces will be mainly road or fire road though, but it is what it is. If you’re looking to ride out that way on a big ride, riding up to Haldon and doing some offpiste and riding back is manageable in a morning from Exmouth, I did the latter few times last year then looked at riding to East Hill and the distance was very similar.

Del

Small group rides Wednesday and Friday evenings and Sunday in the day. Off piste. You’re welcome to come along.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Has anyone got any Woodbury route suggestions South of the Four Firs – Yettington road? I usually either ride out from Topsham or Park at Four Firs and have a clockwise loop from there which I’ve been doing a few variations on for about 10 years! I’ve gone exploring further South but never managed to link anything together into what felt like a decent route!

ajantom

https://strava.app.link/JWQs2Zmz7hb

The bottom part of this ride is south of four firs.
    Takes in some of the nicer trails in that area…Rootie-tootie/deer leap, ting-tong, past the swings, pommie woods + others.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Thanks @ajantom I’ll give that a try next time I’m up there!

ajantom

No worries 😉
    Though bear in mind it’s pretty overgrown up there at the mo.
    Long sleeves and thickish gloves will stave off the worst, but there’s some seriously thick gorse and brambles on some of the trails.

woodsa
    Free Member

@ajantom I popped over to Yettington on Friday. It’s riding lovely with a bit of damped down loam. Discovered some new sections further along the top (riding the other side of the gate). They’re pretty overgrown on that section with some finger thick brambles, I’ll pack my secateurs next time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Calling East Devon MTBrs’ is closed to new replies.