Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Calling anyone who lives on/near South Downs Way
  • v7fmp

@muggomagic – our group of 4 are riding the following:

Me – Specialized Status – a 160mm mullet park bike. Totally wrong tool for the job, but neither my ragley hardtail or Norco Optic warranty replacement has turned up in time.

Joe – Giant Trance Advanced – 29er short travel trail/down country. XC tyres with lots of energy gels strapped to it. He also changed the front ring to a 30t (from 32t).

Mark – Specialized Epic hardtial – XC race machine. But he has a frame bag that engulfs the entire front triangle, so i am hoping for cross winds to send him off into oblivian.

Si – Santa Cruz Mega Tower – bit like me, wrong bike for the job, but you know, run what ya brung!

Food wise, lots of energy gels, shot bloks, haribo. Plus various nut/nature bars. And i have 2 x Veggie pasties.

Drink – i just use water, and rubbish at drinking enough, so my plan is to use pretty much every tap and finish what i have in my bottle before refilling.

Any top tips are very welcome. I have done similar distance on road before, but i know its not the same!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

You’re riding a Status?! I live in Lewes, let me know when you’ll be near Blackcap and I’ll cycle up to encourage / laugh / steal your bike from whatever is left of you as you’ll be too weak to fight back.

VanHalen

its minging here today. (woodingdean – about 5 mins from the SDW outside Brighton) plenty of showers.

on the plus side met office suggests a decent tailwind for saturday.

5lab

You’re riding a Status?! I live in Lewes, let me know when you’ll be near Blackcap and I’ll cycle up to encourage / laugh / steal your bike from whatever is left of you as you’ll be too weak to fight back.

the first time I did SDW in a day I was riding a 45lb cannondale gemini with ultratacky 2.5″ highrollers. Is is possible.

It was 10 years before I did it again.

apedoctor
    Free Member

Jealous, would love to be riding it tomorrow, but will be spending the day driving from the south coast to near the north coast!

I think adverse weather just makes it more fun, interesting and memorable. Granted the SDW is lovely on a sunny clear day, but it’s also just as good in the wet imo.

Might have to accept a few of the climbs might be pushers, such as out of amberley or that killer just past harting down.

Worst case, just jump on a train with a smile on your face and come back another day.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Definitely possible. Just (as you know!) deeply, deeply unpleasant. Chatted with a lad doing it over 2 days on a 2016 Orange 5. Didn’t fancy that either, but fair play!

winston
    Free Member

Cycled over Firle this morning – the wind has done a good job of drying everything out. No green chalk on my normal bit where there can be when its wet (just off the actual SDW). Wind is crazy strong but should be blowing you along if doing it from Winchester. No real rain forecast till Sunday night

I say go for it!!!!!

mrmoofo

Supposedly, the wind is gusting up to 50 mph …
    If you are still intent on doing it , keep away from any wooded bits. Branches will be blowing off.

pictonroad

You’ll be on for doing most of it without pedalling if this keeps up.

Just popped out in Worthing and there’s folk struggling to stand up. I’m on the 4th floor and it sounds like the windows are going to give way. 😳

It is WINDY. No chance you’d get me out in woods in these conditions, really dry month, then saturated soils, trees now in leaf. Nope.

Yak

Weather actually looks ok for tomorrow. Bar maybe a few claggy bits, it might just work. Good luck all!

Bez

The forecast tomorrow does look better, but if this wind keeps up then I’d suggest starting in Winchester, putting all of your baggiest clothes on, and booking a table in Eastbourne for lunch…

AngusWells

The wind should ease and veer by tomorrow. 10mph from the west for most of the day. Perfect.

WildHunter2009

Sat in the office just south of Arundel and Amberley and genuinely concerned the roof is going to take off!

Sandwich

Watching with interest it has the potential to be epically good or a massive adventure with much suffering.

chiefgrooveguru

No rain but a ton of wind throughout Brighton, south to north today. Almost got blown over walking out onto the seafront!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Met Office thinks Petersfield will be dry until 1500ish tomorrow, Wunderground thinks there’s going to be on/off showers all day…

Who is telling the truth?

WildHunter2009

Actually looking okay this morning. Would imagine there’s a few trees down around the wooded sections. I’m tempted to get up there this afternoon for a bimble now.

Rather you than me on a Status mind! I’m barely fit enough for the hills on a light bike ha

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Been up since ~0530, weather watching and trying to decide if taking the road bike out is a good idea, or whether the frame and drivetrain would get covered in surface water grit and so pondering the hybrid and a shorter ride instead.

Out of our flat window, the road is now dry, but there’s been a succession of showers over the hills all morning that have passed through between roughly Winchester and Midhurst, with not much breeze or heat to help get rid of the damp.

More showers expected from ~1500.

muggomagic

Was hoping to see pictures of you all eating fish and chips and having a beer in Eastbourne when I logged in this morning. Hope all went well.

Been up since ~0530, weather watching and trying to decide if taking the road bike out is a good idea, or whether the frame and drivetrain would get covered in surface water grit and so pondering the hybrid and a shorter ride instead.

I had no idea that people didn’t ride their road bikes because the bike could get wet and dirty?

Yak

The v7fmp team got it done from looking at Si’s strava. Good stuff!

donslow
    Free Member

I had to bail at Amberly, absolutely gutted doesn’t even begin to cover it

Long story short…

Friday night got to Winchester, riding to the B&b I had booked, had an incident with a car, came off bike, landed hard on hands/wrists, lots of pain, scratches and cuts to hands etc etc

Decided to try and ignore the pain on Saturday morning and do it all the same but got to a point where I just couldn’t do any more, the pain was just so bad and it was slowing me down something terrible with all the climbing and descending on bobbly bits,

Currently sitting in a&e waiting treatment for a double fracture to my left wrist…

On a flip side, sooo much fun and the views…oh my the views…

theotherjonv

so you rode from Winchester to Amberley with a double wrist fracture?

That’s a better story than doing the SDW!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Oof, of all the times to have a collision with a car! How the heck did you get to Amberley with a double fracture?!

weeksy

so you rode from Winchester to Amberley with a double wrist fracture

That is indeed impressive

Yak

Heal up well and come back and smash it.

sri16v
    Free Member

I can attest to the pain of riding with a double wrist fracture, did the same 3k into a 45km offroad ride, but knew it may be my last ride for a while so foolishly carried on for the next 3 hours.

Any slightly rough section pointing downhill was pure agony, ended up riding with my left wrist just resting on the bars

Almost forgot the pain when having to lift the bike over gates! (locked gates on little used bridleways!)

Changing gear on the drive home almost had tears running down my face

Rest up! Mine is still weak 10 months later despite healing fast after 8 weeks in a cast

donslow
    Free Member

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at with lots of pain is all I can say, couldn’t even drop my saddle on the downs because my hand couldn’t push the lever down

@theotherjonv
    absolutely gutted I couldn’t finish, although through the pain, was having so much fun too albeit veerry slowly ha ha

@weeksy
    Thankyou but am still kicking myself for not finishing

@yak
    first opportunity I get…

@sri16v
    horrible isn’t it?! Driving home to Essex from Eastbourne this morning was much the same

curto80
    Free Member

Gutted for you. Where did the incident with the car happen?

donslow
    Free Member

Pretty sure I saw the @v7fmp guys a couple of times, there were motoring along with me eating their dust and squealing in pain ha ha

haven’t seen what time they did it in but good work all the same fellas

susepic

That is such bad luck @donslow – but cojones for giving it everything you could.
    It’ll be there waiting for you when you’re fixed.

donslow
    Free Member

@curto80 near the town center, think they were building a leisure centre nearby if you know the area, car went to go past, got a bit too close,

Wing mirror – handle bar – front wheel -kerb – sack of spuds on the floor

The ONLY time I have ever been on a bike without gloves too, typical

donslow
    Free Member

@susepic certainly hope so

curto80
    Free Member

Oh man that’s awful, so sorry for you. Yeah I live here so know exactly where you mean – that’s one of the main roads into town and is way too narrow. I got close passed by a national express coach there early one morning and don’t think I’ve ridden down that road since. Bloody crap drivers everywhere.

theotherjonv

have you got all the details from the driver? I assume they stopped!?

muggomagic

Bloody hell @donslow that’s a great effort to ride that far with your injuries.

Heal fast and let us know when you give it another go.

singletrackmind

Nutter. Well done for getting that far, pretty much halfway with broken bones is impressive. The views get better the further along you go as the sea gets nearer.
    How muddy was it in the end?

donslow
    Free Member

@theotherjonv nope, didn’t stop, unfortunately I was too busy trying to drag bike out of the road to get any details either, put it down to one of those things I suppose

@curto80
    was thinking that it was busy & narrow, nearly needed new pants too ha ha

@muggomagic
    cheers fella

donslow
    Free Member

@singletrackmind weather and conditions were great in the end, a few puddles and gloopy bits here and there but in general, not bad at all,

theotherjonv

Jeez – did they know they’d hit you, that’s a hit and run and should be reported. I assume so if they hit your handle bar with a wing mirror.

donslow
    Free Member

@theotherjonv

did they know they’d hit you, that’s a hit and run and should be reported.

You’d think so wouldn’t you?! I guess with no details technically there’s nothing to report unless the driver reports himself?!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Calling anyone who lives on/near South Downs Way’ is closed to new replies.