Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Calling anyone who lives on/near South Downs Way
  • Premier Icon Poopscoop

Ah, I see mate. Yeah, that would do my head in to.

Premier Icon stayhigh
    Free Member

Having spent a reasonable amount of time walking and running in and around Worthing recently, prepare yourself for the wind. Great if its behind you but the headwinds can be brutal.

Premier Icon singletrackmind

Very windy . Forcast for Saturday. Gf8 on the coast. Be ok Winchester end as its inland and relatively sheltered. Past Amberly though and especially Lewes, well i wouldnt want to be up there with 40mph gusts

Premier Icon DrP

Yeah.. the wind around Worthing can be mad.
    Heaven knows why they put those fans out on the shore – it’s windy enough as it is…..

I’m riding to Brighton this afternoon – tailwind all the way bay-beee..
    But; I’ll be hanging tomorrow with the classic headwind home!

It’s MEANT to be raining here today, but it’s lovely and dry and sunny!

DrP

Premier Icon v7fmp
    Free Member

Today has been glorious in Bognor (where i work), so its good news for drying the SDW out.

Having spoken to my buddies, it looks like we are pretty set on giving it a go.

Bravery or stupidity…. ill let you decide!

Premier Icon Painey
    Free Member

i wouldnt want to be up there with 40mph gusts

I dunno. If there’s a strong westerly, as long as you’re heading East it can be a right laugh. I’ve managed to freewheel up some of the less steep climbs before.

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

So it’s looking a bit better than the weatherman will have you believe?!

Think I’m starting to lean further from “hmmm I dunno” to “**** it, let’s have this”

Premier Icon WildHunter2009

Its been wetter than an otters pocket near Arundel….. Drove across the downs a few hours ago and looked a wee bit soggy!!

Premier Icon mudeverywhere
    Free Member

I like the theory of being helped by a westerly tailwind. But mostly I find as the prevailing wind is a south westerly and the SDW heads south east it hits side on. Spent many happy hours up on the downs with the bike tilted into the wind trying to stay upright.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Met Office has now issued wind warning from Thurday 1800-2100 Friday across pretty much thge whole south coast https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=4f93159d-215c-4fe9-8544-e9ad275bda01&date=2021-05-20

We had a short hailstorm in SO15 just after 1330 today and in the last few minutes, we’ve had a few rumbles of thunder in SO18.

I’ve got the next five days off and the best looking outdoor rides days right now look to be Thursday before 1300 and Monday, the rest have mixed amounts of wind and rain. :/

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at I saw that too, now I’m thinking hmmm maybe not THIS weekend after all, keeping a close eye on things with a view of calling one way or t’other Thursday afternoon as I’m due to set off for Winchester on Friday

Premier Icon singletrackmind

Abort is my recommendation
    The prolonged period of rain fpr much of Friday will make it a slog.
    The forcast for Saturday is not exactly nice either, perfect wind direction but more showers thrpugh the day

There will be better weekends for sure.
    I have done it a few times and i wouldnt consider it. Once we did it after 48hrs of no rain and there were still deep puddles around

Premier Icon muggomagic

Just thought I’d report back with a conditions update.

Rode this morning around the Steyning, Worthing, Shoreham area of the South Downs and it’s very dry in the open. I went down one of the steep trails off the back of Steyning (not part of the SDW route) and it was errr challenging. The climb back up was very slippery too, so I assume any parts with tree coverage will be greasy or claggy.
    The biggest concern is the forecast for very strong winds tomorrow. There’s only showers forecast for later in the day, but that wind will make things very difficult as for a lot of route that wind will be cutting across you.

Premier Icon susepic

I’m heading out on the Ditchling ridge later in the afternoon, and can feedback on conditions on that section.

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

Thanks for all the updates guys, really appreciate the help

Today is decision day…

Looking at weather for Saturday, save for a few showers, it doesn’t look dramatically terrible but underfoot conditions are what concerns me most

Understandable what people are saying regarding it’ll be a better ride in fairer weather but I’m also treating this as a bit of a recce for when a buddy of mine can do it too

So what I’m asking really, is it unrideable or is it a case of “it’s a bit treacherous out there at the minute but not the worst it could be”

Many thanks again all

*edit* Just re-read all of that, am I underestimating how bad it’ll be?!

Premier Icon v7fmp
    Free Member

hey @donslow, me and my buddies are committed. I am taking our bikes to a friend in petersfield this evening, will go there sat morning and his wife is taking us in their van to Winchester early saturday.

It will be a good challenge. If we bail early, so be it, if we make it, what an achievement.

Spirits are high!

Premier Icon muggomagic

I think the ground conditions will be pretty good considering (well over this way anyway). Take it steady on some of the covered descents and you should be good. I got back from the ride this morning and the only muddy bit was a loamy steep section that is off the SDW. Other than a few puddles it’s really dry.
    The wind isn’t as bad Saturday so that’s one less thing to contend with.

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

@v7fmp I’m pretty much committed to do it to be honest, think I’m just trying to mentally over prepare, as it’s only me on this attempt so just trying to work out what to expect

@muggomagic
    that’s pretty much what I was hoping for, doesn’t sound too bad

Looking at the weather for Saturday, I should be well clear of Winchester before the rain starts, going through Chichester (or thereabouts as a mid point) when it’s looking dry albeit cloudy and then the last stretch into Eastbourne, well, that’s the last stretch so don’t mind so much what the weather throws at me but it’s not looking too bad for the time of day I expect (hope) to be getting there

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden the off-road bits of the SDW around me, but if you’re inclined to ride it this weekend, I’d suggest thinking about maybe fitting some ~33mm CX tyres with plenty of mud depth tread.

Wind is already picking up, just popped to local shop for some groceries, it’s depressing that this looks to be as good as it gets this weekend in terms of dry weather and there’s already been a few showers that have passed through this morning. Ordinarily, I probably wouldn’t head out today, but I’ve not done an outdoor ~1hr+ non-commute ride for 3.5 weeks… Which is bloody crazy for May FFS! 🙁

Premier Icon muggomagic

Good luck to you and @v7fmp for Saturday. Enjoy the fish and chips in Eastbourne.

Premier Icon AngusWells

I rode up the bridleway from the Meon Valley to HMS Mercury/The Sustainability Centre on my CX bike yesterday evening. It’s a pretty steep and broken up piece of the SDW and there had been plenty of showers during the day. The chalk was really slippery but it’s not unrideable. I would suggest that with a bit of common sense and plenty of determination you should be fine this weekend. Good luck.

Premier Icon mccraque

Update from last night…couple of puddles from Pyecombe to Ditchling Beacon on the cinder path – but the rest of the top towards Lewes is holding up well. Just watch the green chalk if the rain starts.

Premier Icon v7fmp
    Free Member

top tips as always, cheers everyone!

@donslow
    – what are you riding? Just so i can say hi if we cross paths!

Premier Icon Esme

“Just so i can say hi if we cross paths!”
    If you cross paths, surely one of you is going in the wrong direction?

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

@esme it’s probably going to be me ha ha

@v7fmp
    black Dartmoor hornet with green bits and bobs all over it, if we happen to see each other, great! If not, best of luck to you and your buddies!

Thanks to all again with the great advice/updates/general comments, massively appreciated

Premier Icon mrmoofo

Riding okay today – just back from a loop around Devils Dyke and Steeping

Premier Icon susepic

In the middle of a loop on the Ditchling Ridge and sheltering from the weather in the Swan @ Falmer (cheeky pint on a bike ride is back!).
    As someone said earlier, the SDW from Clayton to Blackcap is riding pretty well, some muddy bits but much drier than last weekend. Still a bit greasy on the flints and chalk but no clag.

Good luck on Saturday everyone!

Premier Icon curto80
    Free Member

Proper windy in Winchester tonight. There will be bits of tree and stuff all over the place.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Best of luck guys!👍

Premier Icon continuity

I’m just here waiting for the trainwreck. Schadenfreude at its best.

Premier Icon mattbee

At least the wind today will help dry the exposed bits out. It’s not too bad tomorrow according to the forecasts, probably the best day of the weekend.
    Good luck!

Premier Icon muggomagic

As mattbee says I reckon tomorrow will be good, not going to be too hot and the ground won’t be rock hard. I’ve got to help a mate move tomorrow else I’d ride out West and back to give a bit of support.

Try and enjoy the ride, I’m biased, but I think the South Downs is such a beautiful place to ride.

Premier Icon v7fmp
    Free Member

its on like donkey kong!

oddly looking forward to it! 😀

Premier Icon manton69

Ok technical update from me. Although we have had a wet May so far (110% of the average rain already for the month) the soil moisture deficit is still at 50mm. What that means is that the ground is still able to tKe up the rain and while you will see local patches of gloop the tracks will dry up between bands of rain.

I live on the Winchester end and most of my rides go via Cheesfoot head and the tracks are in relatively good shape. I can’t speak for anything past Beacon Hill so I will let others report on that.

As for the forecast it looks quite cool (12 deg) with the odd shower clearing in the afternoon. Wind will mostly be westerly the whole day at 10mph with gusts of 20mph so just about ideal for Winch to Eastbourne.

All in all it would be a go for me. If you are starting about 7 I may see you on the first bit.

Premier Icon muggomagic

As we’ve all been supportive up to now, I think it’s time for you to tell us what bikes and set ups you have as well as your eating and drinking strategies so we can critise and sow some seeds of doubt before tomorrow 😀

Premier Icon continuity

No balls to do it on a 2002 Kona Stinky DeeeLUX with Marazocchi Shivvers.

Premier Icon continuity

The dual crown ones, of course.

Oh, and nokian gazzalodi 3.0’s with DH tubes.

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

Thanks again all,

@muggomagic
    I’ll mostly be riding a unicycle with a super slick road tyre in a mankini with a can of lilt in one hand and a sausage roll in the other

Research leads me to believe this is the best way…

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

its on like donkey kong!

oddly looking forward to it! 😀

@v7fmp
    took the words right out of my mouth

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

@poopscoop cheers fella

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.