Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Calling all tenters out there….
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just got a tent for the intention of a few weekends with the family around the UK (so not main holiday). After the usual camping gear and paraphernalia. Just wondering where is best to shop, happy to go seconds hand, and what kit and brands to go for. Not necessarily after the best in true STW style, but half decent proven kit would be fine.

Especially interested to hear about peoples opinions and experiences with beds – the Mrs is looking at an air bed mattress, but I think it might be a bit sweaty, so wondering if some form of fold up frame bed would be better or a good idea for tenting – or just too heavy and bulky?

Currently thinking a fold away picnic table, a fold up table for the stove, a stove, a couple or few lamps (battery/mains or gas, or one of each?), a decent refrigerated coolbox. What else am I missing?

Thanks.

moose
    Free Member

Go outdoors isn’t too shabby, nor is Mountain Warehouse for cheap kit.

qwerty
    Free Member

Air matress needs duvet below & on top to be snuggly, the cheapish ones ALWAYS leak eventually. Two singles with a double bed sheet over them works well. I’ll buy Vango 7.5 Comfort next time.

scotroutes

Got a Decathlon nearby?

wooobob

I splashed out on one of these Vango mattresses, very happy with it. Airbeds are generally cack in my experience.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cheers all. That’s surprising, that the usual high street outlets gets the STW seal of approval. I would have thought they would be considered to be what Halfords is to true petrolhead. That makes things easy.

I’ll take a good look at those Vango mattresses. I’m not keen on air matresses.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wear looser trousers, helps reduce the potential for embarrassment.

Oh, sorry. Not that sort of tenting. I see. Carry on.

CraigW
    Free Member

Worth a look at Alpkit for mattresses and lamps. I think they are pretty good, not too expensive.

Just get a decent LED battery lamp, no need for gas. Best not to use gas in a tent, due to the risk of fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

These self inflating mats, how comfy are they? I’m having trouble imagining them to be as comfy as an airbed TBH. I suffer from joint problems & don’t want to shell out on something that will leave me crippled for the day.

moose
    Free Member

Depends on the ground. If you’re camping by car, go for the airbed.

schmiken

I’ll back up the Vango inflatable mats, wife, the baby and I all have one each. Much warmer and comfortable than an air bed. More portable too!

scotroutes

Mrs SR and I seem to be almost unique in liking the airbeds. We’re on our second mind you, but the first one lasted us seven years or so. One wee tip is to put a blanket between the bed and your sleeping bag as that will absorb any condensation.

Dolcered

We got a readybed. First time we used it with no additional duvet. Utterly Baltic. Still use it but with extra duvet and extra pillows. It’s never leaked and it survived t in the park and Glastonbury! Get a great sleep.

Except in St Andrew’s at the weekend there, with thunder and lightening and a gale!

CountZero

Having used one of those big blue flock air mattresses in June, when the weather took a turn for the wet and chilly, I would say avoid like a dose of herpes; I was bloody frozen! Admittedly my sleeping bag was an ultralight one, but I ended up wearing all my clothes, wrapped in two blankets I carry in the car, and I was chilled to the bone.
    I now have a cheap bag from Aldi, which is really thick and snug, cost £19, and a Gelert self-inflating mattress I got for £17, now discontinued, goes up to 10cm thick.
    Spent a very, very comfy weekend on the IoW, just bought an ex-Army folding bed from armysales.co.uk, not the lightest around at 8Kg, but far better made than the £25 Halfords ones, and mine cost £30 with a carry bag.
    Rather looking forward to the nine days I’m going to be camping in South Hams, South Devon in a month’s time.
    😀

moose
    Free Member

I have an old issue one that’s going for free if you want it.

If you insulate the airbed with a topper or even a roll mat it’s not too bad. I have an IM you could borrow and see how it suits you. There are some pretty good, large thick ones out there that may suffice.

Go Outdoors link.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We use a blanket on top of the airbed, then a double sleeping bag & if needed, a duvet on top. Keeps us nice and toasty.

sadexpunk

we’ve found self-inflating mats to be far warmer and comfier than the ‘proper airbeds’.

sam_underhill

I always find big airbeds very cold. Self inflating mattresses are much warmer and plenty comfortable enough.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

These self inflating mats, how comfy are they? I’m having trouble imagining them to be as comfy as an airbed

We have Alpkit Dozers. They are far more comfy than airbeds.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Standard airbeds don’t reflect the heat back at all, you just set-up a large circulating air mass that drags your heat into the cold earth.

Thermarest or copy all the way.

WRT Lamps, look for ones that have a diffuse lens or, better still, a large diffuse lens. Unless you like being a raunchy shadow-puppet show for the other campers 😉

A head torch is invaluable, and conversely to the tent light, you want less LEDs – LED lights with loads of weak white LEDs are far less efficient than newer designs with high-power light units.

Does your tent have reflective fibre in the guy-ropes? If not maybe add a few of those scotchlight spoke clips or something like that – tripping over guys is a royal pain in the ass and may break the tent.

As an investment for longer and more adventitious trips I’d definitely consider a Primus stove, plus you don’t need a table for it, just treat the included aluminium reflector and shield well.

Last tip – unseal/deflate your self-inflating mattress as soon as you get out of bed. Don’t forget! Over pressurising [and subsequent de-lamination] due to hot tents in the sun is what kills 99.9% of all of these mattresses!

takisawa2

Coleman Comfort double airbed. Had it 10 years now. Everyone who has borrowed it has commented on how comfy it is. Two chambers, so you can have it softer one side, plus no rolling together. If its cold, a pair of those foil car windscreen shades under your sleeping bags keeps you warm, (but I was too warm).

A hook-up cable & fan heater will keep even a big tent quite warm. We’ve used our Montana 6 early/late in the year, & fan heater on 1kw kept the tent pleasantly warm overnight, & no condensation either.

Modern camping kit is surprisingly good.
    If your car camping why compromise…

mattsccm
    Free Member

Look at the tent before you buy. Its surprising how the paper spec doesn’t reflect reality. We are happy with a lowish bedroom area but like to stand in the front part.
    Consider individual mats/ beds. You are sleeping with your wardrobe so spreading things around.
    We prefer no fixed floor for the front bit as you can use a tarpaulin and roll that back if you want grass. Good for muddy boots and keep the bedroom shoe free.

ransos
    Free Member

We got most of our gear from Winfields – they have a really good selection in stock.

I would’ve echoed the recommendations for Vango mats, but mine’s just sprung a leak. Has anyone successfully repaired one?

Cougar

Mats usually come with repair kits; little thing of glue and some patches. Not wholly dissimilar in principle to inner tubes.

Another +n here for the mats vs airbeds. I used airbeds for years and they’re bloody dreadful, the misleadingly named “self-inflating” mats are better in every regard; lighter, comfier, warmer.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you are camping in cooler weather theres a good deal on highlander echo 400 sleeping bags on amazon.. £18

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TVP0AE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Clobber
    Free Member

plus I think alpkit now have double dozers in stcok

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

There’s a distinct lack of STW-ness about this thread. Time to raise the bar somewhat, so I’ve got one of these fitted to my tent (not got the water jacket though).

doris5000

debate over airbed pretty much covers it: those big air mattresses are comfy but cold. I love thermarests but my wife complains they’re too thin, so double mattress it is. But since we have the car we can chuck plenty of blankets in etc – it’s not exactly expedition time when we both camp. Usually put an opened-out sleeping bag under the sheet.

Other essentials, IMO

Alcohol hand gel
    a travel mug to keep your tea warm (possibly my most used bit of camping gear)
    a chopping board

and it’s not essential (at all) but consider a Kelly kettle. If you need to boil lots of water for tea / breakfast etc they’re amazingly quick (and quite fun, ha)

Gotama
    Free Member

Just bought a thermarest supermondo xxl….comfier than a comfy thing. See also the exped megamat. Slept on a double airbed once; uncomfortable and freezing cold.

smiffy

For car-based camping, I am a massive fan of the Vango self-inflate beds. Alpkit do something very similar but only 7.5cm, Vango do a 10cm for Uber luxury. Mrs Smiffy reckons it’s comfier than our bed at home. As they are exactly double size you can put a good quality topper on. Baavet is the very best.

Cougar

only 7.5cm, Vango do a 10cm for Uber luxury

Aren’t they going to be exactly the same unless you’re bottoming out on the thinner one? Never quite understood that.

Clobber
    Free Member

only 7.5cm, Vango do a 10cm for Uber luxury
    Aren’t they going to be exactly the same unless you’re bottoming out on the thinner one? Never quite understood that.

Check out the plus size tyre threads…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Vango 7.5 – never regretted it. Still miss it when I’m on spring mattress!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Cheers for recommendation the Vango, my Mrs wants a new mat, sounds good.
    Reading the spec, the 10cm is also a lot wider, which would be good for me, sleep with my knees tucked up!

My tip – JetBoil Zip. Decathlon had them at a good price and Go Outdoors have a 10% price beat promise so I got a good deal.

Expensive but rapid, awesome for when you need a quick brew. I’ve also got it in the van and take a brew kit when out on winter rides, brings the life back when cold and wet in a layby. Add a pot stand then get one of the £10 cartridge stoves for simmering and you have a simple versatile cook system.

I’ve also got an MSR and a Trangia. Somewhat of a stove collection!

Earl
    Free Member

A silver rescue blanket from poundland underneath the mattress.

If you’ve got a extra pound – peg above you between the pod and the tent shell. Makes a huge difference.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have got the airbed business sorted – a fleece blanket underneath so it does squeak on the pvc floor (also covers most of bedroom area, so warm feet), a rolllmat on top, also covered with a fleece blanky – total comfort and warmth. Only thing I can sleep on when camping that doesn’t give me very hurty hips all night. Just a shame I can’t use that set up when I’m cycle touring.
    As for other equipment, depends on the size of your tent. a kitchen stand/unit/thingy is very useful for a gas stove and storage. I reckon the best thing I take (car camping) is the chemical loo 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Calling all tenters out there….’ is closed to new replies.