Calling all French speakers – translation favour required

Home Forum Chat Forum Calling all French speakers – translation favour required

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Calling all French speakers – translation favour required
  • globalti

What? You want the form translated into English? I can do that.

reedy at orchardhouse dot fsworld dot co dot uk

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

Thank you very much – will email it over shortly…

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

Hi all

We are trying to sort out my dad’s estate and as he lived in France (and indeed died there) it will all be sorted out under French law.

I have been emailed what appears to be a relatively straight forward form – only a side of A4 – but my French skills are even below my MTB skills and I do not want to get it wrong.

Would someone be able to translate it for me if I were to email it over – would be very much appreciated…

Thanks all

hofnar

I ‘ll have a go as well if you can’t get sorted

sugdenr

What is says is one thing, what it means is quite another, esp. property and estates in France. You may make a big mistake if you assume your english law understanding translates to the French civil code. Get some advice from one of the specilaist french law lawyers who advertise to the expat community.

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

Thanks all

@sugdenr – his wife is sorting all the legal side of things, we just need to fill in the form.

It *looks* like name, address, whether I’m married that kind of thing but I would like to be sure.

As he was residing in France at the time of his death French law takes precedent and in true Gallic tradition it apparently does not matter whether my dad left a will or not – the spouse gets 1/4 and the kids 3/4.

Not that there is much to go around anyway (and it doesn’t bother me one way or the other) but maybe enough for a Pashley 5 Speed.

B.A.Nana

As he was residing in France at the time of his death French law takes precedent and in true Gallic tradition it apparently does not matter whether my dad left a will or not – the spouse gets 1/4 and the kids 3/4.

Yes, us 4 kids had to sign an agreement that our mother/stepmother would get everything.

Sugden is right. Legal French, like legal English can be a labyrinthine mess. Combined with the French love of bureaucracy……

Get it done properly. (Fluent French speaker here)

Edukator

A will does matter. I have one (I’m a dual national living in France) that says children don’t get the money they inherit until we’re both dead. The major legal difference is that you can’t disinherit your kids so they get it all eventually.

I have a great deal of respect for French notaires, I’ve always been well informed and they’ve taken very good care of my interests. If your father had a notaire and left instructions all will be very simple. If not a chat with an English speaking notaire would be worth the modest fees charged.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Calling all French speakers – translation favour required’ is closed to new replies.