• This topic has 67 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Calling all driving Gods (supercar advice).
  • timbog160

Did something similar a few years back, but the most fun was a stripped out Polo Gti with proper sticky tyres! It was amazing how you could throw it around!

epicyclo

Lamborghini.

I’ve followed them on the road. Nothing, but nothing gets past a Lamborghini tractor…. 🙂

scotroutes

I’m probably the least knowledgeable person on this thread but if I’d bought you this as a gift and you told me you’d driven an Audi then I’d think you were a (boring) ungrateful knob.

HTH 😁

Sandwich

Shame there’s no Lotus on that list. I would like to try one for the giggles of fast cornering.

Nico
    Free Member

He was basically pootling around and the woman beside me was complaining that we were going waaaay too fast!

Chicks eh. She should have been in a Nissan Micra.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ferrari

johnw1984
    Free Member

I had a cracking experience day in a GTR a few years ago. The instructor was really good and it felt like a proper track day rather than a watered down pootle.

He even encouraged safe overtaking too! It was years ago though and I can’t remember the company. My mate drove us down in his Civic Type R. He said it felt like a Micra on the drive home lol.

stumpy01

If you still have time, call in advance and book some more laps. It’s normally loads cheaper than if you do it on the day. And print out any email verification of that before you go – when I did mine, it hadn’t been passed onto the people who were there on the day, but I showed them the confirmation print and it was all fine.

I chose the Gallardo 570LM. To be honest, it was quick but I was so far under the limit of what it could do that it felt a bit tame.
    The bloke started off sighting where I should’ve on track, but didn’t bother after the first lap as he reckoned I knew pretty much what I was doing.

The thing that surprised me about the car is that it was so easy to drive; comfortable, good visibility, light steering and easy to manoeuvre at low speed etc….I expected it to be intimidating, but it was actually fine.

I did 4 laps (got 2 in he deal and paid for 2 more) but wish I’d paid for 2 more really.

The best part of the session was the passenger drive in a supercharged Aerial Atom. It was 300bhp and was absolutely amazing.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’ve done one of these and drove a Ferrari F360. It was nice and clearly fast, but like others on here the best buy was a paid passenger ride in a Radical SR1.

It blew the Ferrari out of the water with the cornering speed and how late it could brake. We were also on track with a bunch of R8’s and Gallardo’s and flew past them all. I was practically shaking when I got out!

pondo

I treated Mrs Pondo to one of these for her birthday this year, was actually an ok setup – I picked the “DB5” first, then a Dodge Hellcat, then a Lamborghini Huracan, and she had a hoot (she said 🙂 ). I think I’d be thinking fast and engine noise – she was allowed to give it bootfuls (under instruction) but there’s no way you’ll be allowed to corner it anywhere near the limit. She had three laps in each and stayed out for six in the Huracan. 🙂

leffeboy

no Austin Allegro – is disappointed

andrewh
    Free Member

I did one, DB9, Gaiardo, 575 in that order.
    I’ve always loved Astons, dream car is a mid-90s ‘proper’ Vantage but that was my least favourite, good but not as good as the other two.
    Mambo was great, noticeably quicker and a lot of fun.
    575 was best, bit of a handful on damp track but a real hoit. And yes you are allowed to really push them!
    If I was offered another lap I’d take the Ferrari, it was by farbthe most fun. To buy I’d take the Lambo, I’d just put the Ferrari in a hedge on a real road.
    Is it coincidence that my order of preference is the reverse of the order I drove them? Does knowing the track better make it more fun rather than the car itself?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers all. mcmoonter it’s at East Fortune. I did one at Lochgelly and tried a 911, it was over so quickly I didn’t get much out of it. I’d certainly hope for auto, and ithink an Evora might be on the list too.

I’ll ask about extra laps and getting drive round by a trained driver.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I called them and was rejected twice.

https://www.supercarworlduk.com/product-page/drive-1-supercar

CountZero

If it had been at Castle Combe or Thruxton, or a circuit in Wales, (not sure which one), it might have been with a driver I used to work with, Roger Orgee. He used to race back in the day, and is pretty handy behind the wheel. When I’ve got some spare cash I’m going to arrange a drive with him.

leffeboy

Why would you get rejected (if it’s not too personal)? I thought this was pretty much open to everyone

matt_outandabout

I’ll just leave this here. Sadly the chap who ran days from Loch Earn to Glencoe and back, leading upto 15 different ‘supercars’, from GT3, Huracon and 430, through to Elise, Focus ST rally and Impreza something… They would stop every 10-15 miles and swap drivers.

our à la car menu

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rik I am already booked on, they rejected my calls

Matt…”sadly”, why?

bettyswollocks
    Free Member

Whichever car you choose, it can only be better than my experience which involved watching my 14 year old son throw an Aston Martin DB9 and a Nissan GTR around a track. We got him a driving experience for his birthday last year and he loved it while I had to stand and watch which was no fun. He said the instructors were spot on and encouraged him to hammer them as fast as he dared and got both up to nigh-on 100mph then they took him for a ‘hot lap’ in a Vauxhall Monaro which you could tell had done a few hard laps. There were all sorts of supercars and they certainly weren’t going easy on them with one particular Gallardo which they were absolutely beasting.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I had a great time. I took 2 spotting laps which was a help. Choice was a DB9,some topless Ferrari, Huracan, GTR and an Elise (180bhp). I did 3 laps in the latter then 2 in the Lambo.

I spun the Elise! It felt a bit like my smart, just stiffer and faster (brakes were dreadful). Lambo made a great sound/shove in the back but you’re more isolated from the road.

It’s got me thinking about track days, and reassured me that I’m not a bad driver, and my car actually handles pretty well.

tonyg2003

Good to hear that you enjoyed it. Sounds like the Elise needs new brakes but I guess these Supercar experience places get the most out of their cars consumables.

nixie

Elise brakes are definitely not terrible, even with the stock pads they should be good. There is no/very little servo depending on model (180bhp I’m assuming it was a supercharged Toyota) so don’t feel like a ‘normal’ road car (much less bite). Stand on them properly though and you’ll wish you had harnesses on. Stock brakes are good till 200+bhp on track. As you’ve found its quite easy to spin them (lift off oversteer?).

cynic-al
    Free Member

AH OK nixie, I was having to properly stand on them. It was one of the instructors’ old track car, and didn’t seem in the best of shape. Lift off oversteer I think yes.

Been looking at track days, good grief this isn’t cheap even with my own car!

nixie

Was it an experience megastore day? If it was then I think its an ex race car.

No not cheap at all. On the lotus forum I’m on I think £800 – £1000 per day is the standard ‘cost’ of a track day (when you add in cost of day, cost of fuel, insurance, tyres, over night stays, travelling etc and the increased maintenance cost). Its bloody good fun though.

cubist
    Free Member

I had one of these days for my 40th. The Gallardo was most fun, I had its tyres squealing on the curbs, which makes you feel like a driving God even if it is a bit slower. The Ferrari instructor was a bit limiting and wouldnt let me really hammer it and as much as I was really looking forward to driving the Atom it was a handful and needed more laps to get confident and not spin it off. In the end I felt like the Atom was a bit of a waste of track time.

The instructor lap in the Aventador was properly mental.

Next track day for me is a drifting day in Caterhams, quite excited because I am seriously considering building my own.

NZCol

I chewed a set of tyres on a track day in my 911 Turbo. They were about 50% worn before I started and knew they would end up cooked. Cue a £1400 replacement set ! Car now sold. Pointless expense.

136stu
    Free Member

I drove the Lambo, my son drove the Ferrari and we both enjoyed. Beware they will lay it on thick about potentially crashing and extra insurance but in reality you won’t get too near the limit.

nixie

@nzcol seem similar on porkers at days I’ve been on. They are just too heavy for proper abuse. The Elise isn’t quite so hard in its tyres (also a set is only £450ish and you can get 2-3 sets of rears per front set).

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Calling all driving Gods (supercar advice).’ is closed to new replies.