Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Calling all decking gurus.
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Had to replace a few planks of decking due to rot. Bought the replacement decking and fitted a piece but it looks like its about 3mm thinner (in depth) than the original decking resulting in a bit of a hazard. Need to put something to build up the new strips so that it’s all the same height. What would be good to use?

avdave2

Plastic frame spacers from screwfix or similar should do the job. Come in a large mixed thickness bag so you can build up whatever height you need.

flip
    Free Member

Bits of 3mm or 1/8″ plasticky anything really 😉

Bits of fascia board.

tymbian
    Free Member

Sounds to me like the old decking is still swollen with moisture from the last few months. You might end up having to remove the spacers when the old deck dries out..

voodoo_chile

Strips of 1\8 the plywood where the decking sits on the bearers but as said before decking drying out still after 6 months of moisture

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

this video should help

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkmeoYKYctw[/video]

wrightyson
    Free Member

My thoughts would be whys it rotten? How longs it been down?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i was in B+Q the other day and this fella wearing an orange and black shirt asked me if i wanted decking……
    …..luckily i got the first punch in 😆

itsmygame
    Free Member

+1 for the plastic frame spacers. Any decent local hardware store will have them. The pack is full of different colour spacers. Each colour is a different thickness spacer.put spacer underneath on joists then screw down. The other wood may be swollen might not be seems to come in also rats of thicknesses these days. As asked previously would ask why they are rotten? And try and eliminate cause.

gribble
    Free Member

Interested in this as I have a 9 year old deck with some rot in the supporting joists. Seems a really pain to replace, for an unskilled carpenter like me anyway.

Have treated with deck stain, but for first 5 years of house being built I think little was done ( by previous owners). Do I need to install air bricks to help ventilate void under deck area – live in a wet climate near some hills/trees, so things don’t dry out quickly.

1981miked
    Free Member

I always read this thread title as:

“Calling all deck gunners”

Would be a better thread if it was.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If its tantalised it shouldn’t rot…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

If its tantalised it shouldn’t rot…

Maybe in the good old days… Modern tanalised timber rots quicker than it used to, especially if sawn ends aren’t treated.

daveturnbull
    Free Member

This is why I think decking will be going out of fashion soon and people will go back to laying a nice rot-free patio instead. Can’t beat a good bit of stone for longevity.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Calling all decking gurus.’ is closed to new replies.